News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fuel tank water drain! Oh Oh ?

Started by Jaythro, May 18, 2010, 06:04:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaythro

Okay Gang my 96 Steamer has a Problem

I found water in the fuel and the exit port of the drain is blocked :shock:

I think the plastic drain thru the tank has split??

Is there a retro fit new drain system

OR

Is My Tank Screwed??????

JetdocX

Is it really broken or just blocked?  There are two outlets on the bottom right of the tank (fore and aft).  Can you open the filler and blow through those?  

If either line was broken, you would have fuel leaking out one of those drain lines.
From parts unknown.

Jaythro

I took the bull by the horns

I drilled out the rearmost hole which was plugged

I filled the tank with water and it drips water very slowly

But under pressure it's a little trickle

So the Question still stands does anyone know if there is a repair / replacement pipe for this?

Mustang

take your gas cap assembly off and run a wire up from the bottom until it comes out the top , you will have fixed the drain .

Jaythro

Quote from: "Mustang"take your gas cap assembly off and run a wire up from the bottom until it comes out the top , you will have fixed the drain .

Mustang the drain tube seems to have split so fuel is leaking out of it !

Any one know if there's a replacemnt kit?

Mustang

Quote from: "Jaythro"
Quote from: "Mustang"take your gas cap assembly off and run a wire up from the bottom until it comes out the top , you will have fixed the drain .

Mustang the drain tube seems to have split so fuel is leaking out of it !

Any one know if there's a replacemnt kit?
your screwed :shock:
start looking for a replacement gas tank

JetdocX

It's theoretically possible to insert a shunt with some polyester resin or epoxy coating.  Theoretically. :?
From parts unknown.

Jaythro

Quote from: "JetdocX"It's theoretically possible to insert a shunt with some polyester resin or epoxy coating.  Theoretically. :?

Yeah I am going to see a pal in belfast that deals with pneumatics

Hopefully He can give some sort of countersunk or flush mounted Wotsit,  Doofer or Doo-Dah with a compression fitting inside

If I am succesful I will Keep you folks updated with Pics

Sin_Tiger

If that fix works it'll be a gosend for anyone with a duff tank.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Jaythro

I drilled the "Filler material" out of the drain exit and "just" touched the brass insert with the drill

Then I inserted a length of 5mm OD (fuel resistant flexible plastic piping all the way thru to the top (fuel cap removed)

I left about 6 inches hanging out at the bottom

I had already dried and cleaned the area before feeding the pipe in

So I used Tec7 sealant and coated the base 4 inches of the pipe and gently pulled it up in and rotating slightly trying to take as much as possible of the tec7 with the pipe going in to create a seal up inside the tank drain as well as at the exit point

I left that for a day to set nicely

I then made up a 2 part Araldite rapide compound thinking that all I need at the top is a seal and a way to guide the water to the drain

The araldite sets well and you can work it a bit like metal

The effect is I have a cured tank! I think

Photos to be added later.

KuzzinKenny

So this is the Steamer section !! its a bit dark in eer !!  :shock:

anyways !! this wont fix yer prob but it might be handy to know in the future !! if you know that you have some water in yer tank, put a spoonfull of methylated spirits in yer tank !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

it bonds the water to the petrol ( somwhow  :?  ) so gettin rid of it out yer exhaust !! its wat ive heard !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Jaythro

I used methanol Same thing it is miscible with water and dilutes it enough to pass thru the jets

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"So this is the Steamer section !! its a bit dark in eer !!  :shock:

anyways !! this wont fix yer prob but it might be handy to know in the future !! if you know that you have some water in yer tank, put a spoonfull of methylated spirits in yer tank !!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denatured_alcohol

it bonds the water to the petrol ( somwhow  :?  ) so gettin rid of it out yer exhaust !! its wat ive heard !!

KK

Jaythro

Going to try uploading pics just now

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"So this is the Steamer section !! its a bit dark in eer !!  :shock:

You lost again  :lol:

Brilliant, hope it lasts  :new_popcornsmiley
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint