News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

98 Steamer, Where to hook up an auxilary power outlet

Started by Bob Tosi, May 19, 2010, 11:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Tosi

Could any one suggest the most appropriate place to tap into power to power up an aux power port to run a GPS unit?   I want to hook up power so I can run my Tom Tom for an upcoming dual sport ride.
Don't ever sell a Steamer !Steamers Rule!"

JetdocX

Do you have a volt meter or test light?

Follow the wires from the ignition switch down to the connector.  Constant and switched 12V is available there for the taking.  Plenty of room to mount a cigarette lighter above the speedo.

I wonder if I have pics????
From parts unknown.

Mustang

here's a nice out of focus pic

I got my outlet from walmart and it has a little rubber cover on it too but I usually always have something plugged in , wheter it be the GPS or a charger for the Ipod or sometime the cell phone is getting a charge .

But yes just like JD said there is plenty of room right above the speedo and it keeps water out of it in the rain also .
I ran a 20 amp fused wire to mine straight off the battery so its live all the time . switched from the key is good too .......there was this time I forgot to shut my GPS off and well you can figure out the rest  :ImaPoser

Bob Tosi

Where did that mount come from?  Looks like a good one.

Bob Tosi

QuoteFollow the wires from the ignition switch down to the connector. Constant and switched 12V is available there for the taking.

What about the ground and does the fuse go on the hot side or the ground side?

Is there space in the connector to just plug in a new connector to bring power to the aux unit?

JetdocX

Any power at that connector is going to be fused near the battery already, but if you feel like redundancy, the fuse should go as close to the positive connection as possible.  The subframe that holds all your dashwork and fairings is grounded.

I can't remember if there is an extra position in the connector to use or not.
From parts unknown.

oxnsox

I'd fuse any mods you do separately. That way the new fuse should prevent any problems to the rest of the wiring if you have an issue with your add-on.
(The fuse is there to protect the bike wiring, not the stuff connected to it. And fuse the Hot side, that way if a cable pinches to earth the fuse will protect things.)
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

JetdocX

I would like to add that the fuse for your goodies will only protect the main fuse and power if it's a lower current rating, so you would need to find the source fuse and see what it's rating is.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

ok, looking into it.

Bob Tosi

Well I have found the main connector coming from the ignition switch.  There are no free spaces to pull power from.  

Can I splice into one of the wires that has power with the ignition switch on?  I could fuse it.  I am just running aux power for a GPS unit.

JetdocX

That is where mine is tapped.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

so splice into a wire tha has switched power?

JetdocX

Your call, Bob.  Both are available.  Mine happens to be switched power.
From parts unknown.

Bob Tosi

The voltages I measured all seemed to be right around 14.8- 14.9 volts with a couple slightly less.  I check it again and use the best one.  The ground can just go to the frame, yes? Or should I run a ground back to the battery?

Mustang

frame is fine , even the subframe for the cockpit works