News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

SERIOUS question on brake pads

Started by tazshido, May 25, 2010, 04:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tazshido

I ordered some rear brake pads for my 2006 Girly from BikeBandit.com. I received them and when I went to install them they were not the right ones. They look an aweful lot like Honda CBR pads. I have let Bike bandit know and am hoping they give me no crap about it.
Here's the question, everytime I do a search anywhere but here on 2006 Triumph Tiger, I almost always come up with parts for 2007 and later. What's the deal? Did Triumph sell both the Girly and Roadie as 2006 models? I'm tempted to start searching only for 2005 replacement parts as I don't seem to have the same problem when I search for that model year.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Est non aevum, est loginquitas!
Semper Fidelis

EvilBetty

I've wondered the same thing.

I see lots of information about 2006 1050 bikes for sale, or parts for 2006 1050 bikes.

They must be going by the MFG date instead of the model year / title date.  Many 2007's will be stamped 2006 on the frame.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

tazshido

Even worse, when I called the Triumph dealership (55 miles away in Loveland Colorado) they asked me for the Vin and stated that I had the "later" model. Apparently they changed brake calipers in midstream in 2006 so the later 06 girlies have brake calipers that don't match the earlier 06 models and are different from the 07s too. They had two pairs in stock so they must get used on other Triumph bikes.

I love the stopping power of the brakes on my Tiger (something I've seen some complaints about) so I'm happy with them but $55 for a pair of rear pads seems a little steep.

Oh yeah and 24 hours after I send them the return request BikeBandit has not contacted me back, GO FIGURE!
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

EvilBetty

I ordered a part from Triumph once using a Triumph part number.  Turned out I was given the wrong part number by Triumph.  BikeBandit charged me a %20 restocking fee on an unopened part.  Granted from their perspective they sent me what I asked for.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

NKL

I have a 2006 model with the 1050 cases (registered 05) and it uses the same rear pads as my old XTZ750
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

tazshido

Quote from: "NKL"I have a 2006 model with the 1050 cases (registered 05) and it uses the same rear pads as my old XTZ750

What do they look like? Got any pics. The pads they sent have a hole for the swivel pin on one end and a groove for a clip on the other. The ones on the bike have two smaller holes along the blind side of the pad (the part of the pad that goes up into the caliper and is on the outside edge of the rotor) Two pins bolt into the caliper and hold the pads that way. I'm used to the type of pads that they sent me and have never done brakes on a bike that uses the typ of pads that are on there.
They are Nissin Calipers. I'll try to get a pic uploaded.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

daveb

I got a 2006 ,955i model registered in 2007. I changed the rear pad a few weeks ago, no problems.

I ordered from Triumph on line follow the link 955i 04-06 with cast wheels

http://www.triumph-online.co.uk/tiger-9 ... l-45-c.asp

Timbox2

In a nutshell spoke wheeled bikes(955) used the same pad front and rear, the alloy wheeled bikes went to a different pad for the rears, which are the 2 pin holding type, oh and apparently 885's(Steamer) also used the bottom type.

Top Image is front and early rears, bottom image is later rears

2016 Tiger Sport

NKL

Well done Timbox2, a picture saves  thousand words
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

tazshido

Yep, the top pic is what Bikebandit sent me and the bottom one is what I got from Triumph. So I have a set of the older rear brake pads and Bikebandit said they will NOT refund the money if the package was opened (which I did). They are now dead weight and useless to me and I can't return them.
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "tazshido"They are now dead weight and useless to me and I can't return them.

Nil Desperandum, I'm sure someone will need them soon enough.
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Timbox2

Quote from: "tazshido"Yep, the top pic is what Bikebandit sent me and the bottom one is what I got from Triumph. So I have a set of the older rear brake pads and Bikebandit said they will NOT refund the money if the package was opened (which I did). They are now dead weight and useless to me and I can't return them.

Save them till you need to do the fronts
2016 Tiger Sport

tazshido

They won't fit my fronts either,,,,,,,(heavy sigh)
Felis Tigris Argentum

Semper Fidelis