News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Changing Fork Oil

Started by gatordoc, June 01, 2010, 05:45:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

Ok, wasn't very succesful at pulling the oil seals out with a dentist pick / hook, they tear the rubber or bend straight. Damper rod bolt not coming out unless drilled (extreme last resort).

Anybody got any clever ideas at getting the oil seals out without undue risk of damage?

rf9rider

Quote from: "BruKen"Ok, wasn't very succesful at pulling the oil seals out with a dentist pick / hook, they tear the rubber or bend straight. Damper rod bolt not coming out unless drilled (extreme last resort).

Anybody got any clever ideas at getting the oil seals out without undue risk of damage?

Screw a self tapper in and pull out with mole grips.
Worked for me a few times.  :)

BruKen

Good idea. There is a washer according to the diagram directly beneath the seal. Did you predrill?

rf9rider

Quote from: "BruKen"Good idea. There is a washer according to the diagram directly beneath the seal. Did you predrill?

Not done a Triumph seal yet, mostly worked on Yamaha YZF`s.  :oops:

Didn`t pre drill those, just screwed in and pulled out.

BruKen

Mmm self tapers didn't work and I ended up drilling the heads off the damper rod bolts.

Still trying to find out how much oil to put in the forks. Anybody know? 98 steamer forks, with the tapered not square bottom? Showa's I believe Mustang said. Anyone? (My dealer is a ponce and doesn't know, more interesed in scooters :( )

Geoff D

Quote from: "BruKen"My dealer is a ponce and doesnt know

God that made me laugh Bruce
The older I get the faster I was...

rybes

oil level is measured from the top of the tube with the fork spring removed and the leg fully compressed.

up to vin number 43523 130mm
from vin number 43524 144mm

so it says in the haynes manual :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

BruKen

Thanks, but they dont have the Showa forks in anywhere and where as the " from vin number 43524 144mm " may well be true.... :?  does it go up to 54720 and incl Showa's?

NeilD

my (official) triumph manual shows the change to Showa forks from VIN 43524 sae 10w-20 fork oil 144mm

BruKen

Confirmation. :) Thankyou very much gentlemen. Much appreciated :)

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "BruKen"May I ask where do you get these pvc spacers from, or if they are home made is there a thread dealing with this? (I couldn't find anything in the sticky's)

the home made pvc spacers are simply a pvc tube with as close a diameter as the original spacer tube with an additional 1 inch in length  

you want more preload cut em a little longer than the added 1 inch you want less preload cut em a little shorter

This is probably an irrelevant question, but do yo place the pvc spacers above or below the incumbent spacer?

Mustang

doesn't really matter .....just unscrew the caps and drop em in and put the caps back on is what most do .

Black cat

Hi, first post so sorry for any mistakes. Regarding the state of the fork oil for what its worth - I unfortunately had to take appart the forks on my Trophy again  only six months after having had them powder coated and therefore thoroughly cleaned inside and out. It smelt and looked like the oil which came out the first time and believe to be original at eight years old! So, I think that the smell and colour is of little true indication of its condition - my experienece, not proof though.
Black Cat

Triumph Tiger    900 1995
Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011

Bixxer Bob

Welcome BC.  And don't worry about putting in your two penn'th; nobody gets flamed here...
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Black cat

Hi Bixxer Bob, not far from me then! Thanks for the welcoming words - its a very good site and has helped me no end.  :D
Black Cat

Triumph Tiger    900 1995
Triumph Trophy 900 1996
Triumph Tiger 800XC 2011