News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thinking about buying a Tiger

Started by DKWrider, June 03, 2010, 12:50:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKWrider

I have my eyes on a 2000 Tiger and a 2000 Trophy 1200.  Similar miles, price and condition.  
Trophy I can sit flat footed.  Tiger I cannot.  

Tiger is comfortable to ride.  Trophy is not (palms hurt).  

Power seems to be similar, Trophy feels heavier.  

Trophy appears to be good 2-up.  How is Girly?

If I am going to just ride to work and on some back roads, sometimes 2-up, which is the better choice?

Any specific issues with year/model for either?
2000 Lightning Yellow Tiger

Mustang

the trophy will have more power
but the Tiger with the 885 FI engine is a smoother bike  and has plenty of power for two up riding
the tiger can be lowered easily by rotating the eccentric chain adjusters 180 degrees and you will drop the rear approx 1 inch
then you can pull the forks up in the triple trees and gain a drop of 3/4 to an inch depending on how high you pull the fork tubes up .

Tigers are more comfy and you wouldn't expect me to recommend a trophy on a tiger site would you  :shock:  :ImaPoser

DKWrider

Thanks.  Glad to hear that 2-up is okay.  Not expecting to do a lot of that but needs to be comfortable otherwise zero chance.

Well, I know ya'll are partial to Tigers, but I thought what the heck.  I have to admit I felt pretty comfortable on the Tiger being that I have been riding dirt bikes for 40 years.  But the Trophy is nice too.  It was listed somewhere as being one of the top 50 used bikes and I can see why.  Plenty of power and BRG to boot!

KuzzinKenny

Just buy both  :shock:  you know you want to !!

whatever one you get will be the right choice !!

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Advwannabe

Better wind protection on the Trophy and that 1200 motor is a hoot

Buy 'em both
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Sin_Tiger

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Just buy both  :shock:  you know you want to !!

QuoteBuy 'em both

Want any more help?  :lol:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

DKWrider

Actually I could use some help on looking for things that need work.  30K miles.  Likely that steering head bearings need replacement?  How is the best way to check?  It seemed that when I pulled to a stop there was a slight clunking feeling in the forks.  Felt more like the forks than steering head though.

Also, how many miles before a valve job is required and what does that cost?  This is fourth owner and although bike is clean as a pin, he has not had it long so doesn't know when/if a valve adjustment had been done prior to his ownership.  So is that something I should be concerned about.  (No noticeable clacking going on).  If so, how would I know?

Mustang

the valves generally get tighter rather than loose .......
a dealer will wack you about 300- 400 average for the service
you can check em yourself for free it aint that big of deal

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... adjustment

steering bearings
http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... d+bearings

see that button at the top that says search ? it works pretty good
 :D

DKWrider

Actually those threads are what got me concerned that the bike could have problems.  Those are pretty much how tos and I was looking for a little more insight into whether or not the bike I am considering buying might have problems that would need to be addressed right away.  Its tough enough to spend the dough on a bike, then have to turn around and spend more to fix it.  

It sounded like bearings only lasted 25-50K miles.  What is the cost of the Triumph special wrenches?  Does anybody make some that will work besides OEM?

What about the cost of a complete valve job, not just an adjustment and how many miles can that be expected or does that depend a lot on how well the clearances were maintained?  I noticed that you sell the tool for adjustments on your website for a great price.  Thanks.

You're right about the tightness versus looseness.  I don't know what I was thinking.

Mustang

the triumph triple motors when taken care of and not run at redline their entire life will easily see 100, 000 miles on the valve train ...

you can check the steering bearings by getting the front wheel in the air and then stand in front of the forks and rock them back and forth towards you and to the engine , same way you would check a wheel bearing on a car ,you should'nt be able to feel them "move"
then with the wheel still in the air slowly move the handlebars left to right and feel for any roughness or notches , should'nt be any .
and finally they should be tight enough that the handlebars stay where ever you put them with out falling to one side or the other .
the clunking  could be in the forks , although I was under the impression that the clunking forks were only on the later tigers that got the shorter fork assemblys . I don't believe the 2000 had forks that clunked and was to be considered "normal"
the special wrenches are about 60 bucks each from bike bandit or a dealer
but you really can do it without them , they just make the job a little easier .
they also make it so you can take up any play with out having to dismantle the front end

as for your fears about the bike .........if you inspected it and it looks good buy it the triumphs are overall very dependable machines

the 2000 tiger has the original style charging system which is bulletproof

what's the asking price ? should be around 3k if it is in good to very good condition

check the brake pads , chain sprocket and tires if they are good you just saved yourself  about 600 bucks

otherwise it is impossible for anyone to give advice about the condition of a machine sight unseen , when sitting behind a computer screen ........the decision is yours alone  :D

DKWrider

Thanks for all the advice.  I am a decent mechanic but not very familiar with four-stroke motorcycles and these bikes in particular.  Since you guys are the experts (and especially have seen a lot of great posts from you), I wanted to get any advice before I jumped in.

The asking price is $3500.  Hopefully we can negotiate a little closer to $3K.  Tires are Michelins and look nearly new.  Sprockets looked good.  Chain looked to be well lubed.  I believe it is ready to ride.  This is probably the cleanest 10 year old bike I have ever seen.Just nerves making me ask questions I guess.

Mustang

do you get a warm and fuzzy feeling from it ? snap it up if you do . sounds like a nice specimen .

macgart

I have a '99 (same model as 2000) that I have put about 16k miles on in the last year.  The only problem I've had was a leaking gas sending unit that I replace.  I did my own 24k service with the help of this forum and it was easy.  I am (like you stated) a decent mechanic but had never worked on a Triumph before.  

I have done dirt tracks, roads, backroads, and interstates with mine and it does all well.  It IS TOP HEAVY so be forewarned if you go off road in loose stuff.  

I run a heated vest and gloves in the winter as well as my gps and the charging system is fine for that plus some more.

The only down side I've seen so far is that there is often a week or two lead time on some parts.  There is nothing that I have not been able to get though.  

If you like the feel of the triple and are happy with the bike; buy it.
99 Tiger "Goldie"
The more I ride it, the more I love it!
http://www.johnnymacmotoadventures.com/

DKWrider

Guy decided not to sell it afterall.  Too bad, I was really looking forward to having it.  Looking at a couple of 2005/2006 models now.

walker

xchoppers.com sells a set of wrenches that will work for the headset.... they are $10 each (so $20 total). Fast USPS shipping.

http://xchoppers.com/product_info.php?products_id=1924