News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Noise ??

Started by jphish, June 03, 2010, 11:03:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

All Beasts have some quirk that causes one to go - "Uh Oh... whats that noise??!!"  (Like my fork 'clunk' etc) Just got my 06 Tiger in Dec of 09' so not exceptionally 'tuned in' to its warning signs of pending disaster. Today I noticed a 'whirring' noise from down in the cases somewhere, when warmed up & idling in neutral, and clutch lever in 'out' position. When ya pull the lever in to disengage clutch - noise goes away. Never noticed it until now, but not sure if its a new noise, or if I just wasnt paying attention before. Any thoughts from you more experienced Tiger owners on cause ? (some bearing about to disintegrate?) or it's normal ?  My Uly makes all sorts of odd noises - but none of 'em fatal...yet.  Thanks, j

Yukon

Mine has made that noise since I hit the 500 mile mark.  Today is has over 18,000.  I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Bixxer Bob

Most likely you are referring to normal clutch noise, the clue being it going away when you pull the lever.  Every bike I've ever owned does this - even the Honda!!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BigMark

I have had 30k miles of that noise... Never been a problem.. The only concern i had was the slight change in engine tone on heavy acceleration after about 20k miles sounds a bit throatier. but they all do that too...

Still going strong...

jphish

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. Riding Tiger down to calif this month - didnt want to have to plot the whereabouts of all the Triumph dealers along the way. Now if Spring would just arrive, I can leave the heated vest behind. Cheers - j

coachgeo

whirring... oops.... yep thats a problem.  Best solution.  Pull the engine.  replace with a diesel.

You'll never hear any other noise beside the diesel clatter again. :lol:
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

Timbox2

having come from a BMW boxer, the Tiger seems sewing machine quiet comparatively,
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Timbox2"having come from a BMW boxer, the Tiger seems sewing machine quiet comparatively,

Never had a Honda four then? :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Timbox2"having come from a BMW boxer, the Tiger seems sewing machine quiet comparatively,

Never had a Honda four then? :roll:

Not for a while, last was a CBX 750, yeah that was quiet, well, until the alternator chain started to go :(
2016 Tiger Sport