News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Ignition lock removal

Started by ChazzyB, June 06, 2010, 12:00:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazzyB

I need to replace my Girly's ignition lock. During a very recent trip to the Cevennes region in the south of France, my bike ended up on a recovery truck when the ignition lock decided to pack up. Lights/indicators/horn - yes; ignition/start - no. Pressing the switch or pushing the key down hard would make a circuit, but we couldn't bodge anything to keep it running. It was eventually bodged by the local town's moto shop man. Despite negative initial impressions, he knew his stuff, and spliced in a handlar-mounted on/off switch to bypass the dodgy circuit.

Now home, I need to replace the switch. What type are the bolts holding the switch assembly to the yoke? To my aging eyes, in a mirror, with a poor light, they look as though they have tiny hex heads. Are they or are they some other devious 'security' bolt? If straight hex, what's the across-flats size? It's certainly small than 5mm - the smallest socket I have. :?:
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

John Stenhouse

They should be shear bolts. they break off when they are tight enough. If you can see a hex they may have been replaced
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

ChazzyB

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"They should be shear bolts. they break off when they are tight enough. If you can see a hex they may have been replaced

Ah, I'd read of them being shear bolts, which suggested, er, shearing...  :oops:

So, if you need to replace the item secured with shear bolts, how do you do it, without resorting to the very big hammer?
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

ChazzyB

No, they had been sheared off. One was loose and came out with pliers, the other needed drilling out.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

Grind or file the head flat first, then centre pop it, then drill it carefully.  With a nice sharp drill, some lubricant (3 in 1 will do) and keeping the revs down so as not to burn the drill, it will be easy enough.  Once through the heads the lock will come off then you can remove the remains.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...