News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Questions from a future Tiger owner

Started by crazyman, June 06, 2010, 09:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crazyman

Hi all,

I've been riding a Triumph Rocket III for a couple of years.  It's an awesome ride on the street.  
I do find myself riding by some dirt roads and wanting to turn and go see where they lead.  This is my first question:  is the Tiger well suited for light duty off pavement riding. I believe it is from reading some posts on ADVRider.  

I'm not interested in serious off roading, due to some physical issues.  Just some light duty stuff   (I think.)

As I'm a big fan of Triumphs, the Tiger is on my short list.
I've looked at BMW GS bikes.  Didn't care for the ergos.
I haven't actually seen a V Strom in a dealership, but I'd like to at least have a look if I can find one.
The Tiger fits me though.  I've sat on a few.  Haven't had the chance to ride one yet.

So, my main concern is the off pavement abilities of the Tiger.  I am very interested in the bike.  I like the styling and the ergos.  And the Triple, of course.

Any advice is greatly appreciated !
\'11 Tiger 800 XC

jphish

I'm no dirt riding expert, but have KLR, Uly & 06 Tiger. Managed to drop em' all except the Tiger...so far. The Tiger is a fairly topheavy beast, particularly with full tank, but it does excellent on dirt/gravel roads. If you try more gnarley offroad stuff, like some of the inmates in this zoo, ya gotta keep the momentum going & resist the urge to stab a foot down...use the throttle instead. My riding partner has the 1200GS - though he's a better rider than I, the Tiger is just as capable - its the indian, not the bow & arrow. Lots of 05 / 06 well farkled Tigers for sale right now for under $6K - some even in that wonderfull orange color!!  Ya cant go wrong! Additionally, when your not on the dirt roads, ya got a great fishing/camping/adventure, comfortable long distance touring machine. You should try the wee & VEE for comparison, they're pretty good motorcycles. But, as you know, that triple is just hard to beat for a 'do it all' bike at the prices you can get one for. Plus, they are so "distinct" (odd?) looking - they're beautiful. Good luck in whatever you choose. j

Advwannabe

Hi there Jphish,

You must love a challenge, offroading Tigger. She's a handfull on anything other than a gravel road, but it can be done.

I did a bit of medium two track with a posse of R12GSs earlier this year. While the Beemers are better at walking pace stuff Tigger doesn't disgrace herself.

I'm currently preparing myself and Tigger for a desert run through the center of Oz midyear and have been doing a few miles as prep. Here's what I have so far:

Topheavy. The worst of the big ADV bikes in this regard. If you do offroad the Girly you will be picking it up a bit to practice riding lots and practice picking it up.

Confidence. If you have this the bike will do some amazing stuff. Throttle off through a gnarly section and she wants to kill you. In fact that's all she wants to do. Throttle on and she's a different beast, but it takes confidence to keep the throttle on with a girl this huge. Again, lots of practice.

#edit. What I'm talking about here is front end. Power off she just want to wash out, but if you have the confidence to maintain a neutral throttle or even slightly accelerate through a section and it is amazing how well the bike will steer.

Replacements. Some farkles are 'nice to have' and some are 'no not venture off road without'. The must haves are:

1. Mustangs footpegs. They spread the load for your feet better, make it easier to maintain standing posture and don't make your feet slip in the mud like the stock pegs.

2. Aftermarket shock. The damping isn't that bad in the stocker but it fades quickly in any sort of rough work.

3. Handlebar risors. The stock position is crap for comfortable standing for anyone taller than 6'. I have Rox risors (2") with the mustang pegs and they are not bad.

Earlier comments about the Indian are spot on. the only way to ride this thing offroad with any sort of confidence is practice practice practice. But don't be afraid to take your Girly off road. It can be done.

Enjoy
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

Rocinante

Quote from: "Advwannabe"Topheavy. The worst of the big ADV bikes in this regard. If you do offroad the Girly you will be picking it up a bit to practice riding lots and practice picking it up.

Replacements. Some farkles are 'nice to have' and some are 'no not venture off road without'. The must haves are:

3. Handlebar risors. The stock position is crap for comfortable standing for anyone taller than 6'. I have Rox risors (2") with the mustang pegs and they are not bad.

Enjoy

Agree. Get the risers. And the pegs you mentioned. That´s an excellent and cheap start.

Then replace the exhaust system with a 3-1. I have a Norman Hyde and it weighs 5 kg. The original system weighs 14 kg and most of that weight sits high up in the back, adding a lot to the high centre of gravity.

Don´t use a Corbin seat. It weighs 6 kg, also located high up.

Get real knobbies. The TKC-80 are very versatile and probably the best allround tyres. I currently use Michelin MT-21 and they are a lot better in the loose stuff. The rear wears fast though and I don´t go beyond 130km/h anymore. But especially the front gives me a lot more confidence on loose and rutted gravel than the TKC-80.

But for the riding you are indicating, I´d go for the TKC-80. They are great on tarmac as well.
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

BigMark

Gravel and dirt is no problem and the odd muddy patch ok!  To be honest and based simply on my extremely limited yet very optimistic Off Roading of the fat pig in sloppy ole mud runs and icy forest tracks I have discovered that all controls are purely decoration except the throttle...

Step one – Point in general direction. (aim for a way point).
Step two – Accelerate until you crash into the waypoint or wipe out en route.
Step three – Repeat.

But then I can't even keep the KMX 200 upright off road 

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "BigMark"Gravel and dirt is no problem and the odd muddy patch ok!  To be honest and based simply on my extremely limited yet very optimistic Off Roading of the fat pig in sloppy ole mud runs and icy forest tracks I have discovered that all controls are purely decoration except the throttle...

Step one – Point in general direction. (aim for a way point).
Step two – Accelerate until you crash into the waypoint or wipe out en route.
Step three – Repeat.

But then I can't even keep the KMX 200 upright off road 

:ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser

I know from the photos you're a big lad Mark,  the mental picture brings tears to my eyes :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

crazyman

After lots of reading on the Tiger forums, I'm getting the impression that the Tiger isn't really suited for more than street riding.  Well, that's about all I do anyway.  99% of the riding would be street.  Hell, I ride a Rocket III.  No way that beast is going off pavement.

LIke I mentioned, I'm not interested in serious off road riding.  Just the occasional dirt road, gravel trail, etc.  

Thanks for the replies......
\'11 Tiger 800 XC

jphish

Crazyman - Lots of good council from the asylum here. I think what folks are saying is: the Tiger is not a good "off road" machine - those 'goat trails' considered single track, or exceptionally challenging dirt roads. (recognizing there are SOME experieced riders that can take a Road King to places I wouldnt go with a KTM) On maintained fire or forest type roads, the Tiger (or Uly) does just fine. I use the KLR with real knobbies, for most my off road disasters (cleaverly disguised as adventures) The Tiger is just too heavy for the ride - drop - pickup - repeat, excecise. Plus, my KLR has so many dents already... that it hides all the scratches. Whether you ever take it on dirt or not, I would get the mustang foot pegs - the stock ones are just not up to the task... & some kind of engine protection bars, of your choice, would also be a good investment. Finally - I think 'size does matter' here. My GS riding partner is 6'2 & 220 (lbs not Kg) I'm 5'8 & 165. We have a very different experience on the Tiger, as to the adequacy of the stock suspension & ergos. I'm fine without risers & ok with suspension - bigger riders generally prefer the modifications. Hope this helps. j

jphish

Advwannabe - If you're riding to the middle of OZ - Id say you can drop the 'wannabe'. What a great adventure! - How long is that trip ? Luv to see pics & route. Just finished a 13K mi trip around the US & Canada on the Uly - mostly tarmac - the PR2s tires were a good choice, (lasted the entire trip) but not great in the little dirt we did detour on. Taking Tigger on a trip to the canyon lands (Utah) this Fall - get a chance to test my marginal dirt riding skills. Good luck on your journey mate - keep us posted. TTFN, j      PS: I assume Crazyman was refering to a Girly & not a Roadie. Crazyman...??

jphish

Crazyman - You might want to PM Evilbetty - He's the only one I know with both a Roadie & Girly. Can provide insight to which might better suit your interests. His highly farkled orange Tigger is for sale. Now I'll quit monopolizing this thread.  j

crazyman

Quote from: "jphish"Advwannabe - If you're riding to the middle of OZ - Id say you can drop the 'wannabe'. What a great adventure! - How long is that trip ? Luv to see pics & route. Just finished a 13K mi trip around the US & Canada on the Uly - mostly tarmac - the PR2s tires were a good choice, (lasted the entire trip) but not great in the little dirt we did detour on. Taking Tigger on a trip to the canyon lands (Utah) this Fall - get a chance to test my marginal dirt riding skills. Good luck on your journey mate - keep us posted. TTFN, j      PS: I assume Crazyman was refering to a Girly & not a Roadie. Crazyman...??

I would be interested in either the Girly or the roadie.  I've sat on three different roadies.  I've only seen a couple of girlies, and maybe one steamer.
\'11 Tiger 800 XC

swamper650

Tigers can be ridden confidently on hard packed roads and some loose trails. I spent 4 months last year exploring the mountains and hi desert in and around Prescott Az. Use common sense and avoid deep loose gravel and sand. Just keep chanting this mantra "Momentum is my friend". Where the road ends, the adventure begins. Love my 02 Tiger as it handles the long haul , yet can be taken out back.  If you do get one, post me as I am again living up in Elfers, Fl. Can show you some interesting roads............
You don\'t quit riding because you get old...you get old when you quit riding

crazyman

Ahhh, there's the thing.  I live in Florida with abundant sugar sand everywhere.  Some of the forest roads are packed dirt.  The trails are more than likely sand.  I don't think I'd want to venture off too far from hard packed roads.  

For the record, I have zero experience off pavement.  It's not something I'm all that willing to do either.  I have some issues with my neck and back, thanks to be whacked by a truck a few years ago.  I think the rough riding wouldn't do me too well at all.
\'11 Tiger 800 XC

jphish

Crazyman - sometimes a road just beckons, & ya gotta answer the call. Many cool spots at the end of some dirt ones. But yes - deep sand is never our friend... unless we're about to 'highside'.  Just finished a trip that included a number of national parks. Most of the roads began as paved, but some of the most picturesque landscapes were where the dirt began. So ya hate to lose out on opportunities like that. Not talkin the Baja 1000 here - just ability to go down a nice dirt road safely & find the scenery & the good fishing / camping access. Previously we were all refering to the Girly.  The Roadie is more similar to the Uly, than the Girly, in its short wheel base, 17" tire configuration. If ya go that way, just put on a set of Distanzias. Good Road tire and pretty good dirt / gravel tire as well. (MT60s are probably the best 17" dirt tire, but dont last very long) I'd have no problem doing dirt roads with a Roadie, and other than the obvious 1050 motor improvements, actually has better adjustable suspension, somewhat lighter, and doesnt appear to be as tall. Worthy of ones consideration. TTFN j

Advwannabe

QuoteAdvwannabe - If you're riding to the middle of OZ - Id say you can drop the 'wannabe'. What a great adventure! - How long is that trip ? Luv to see pics & route. Just finished a 13K mi trip around the US & Canada on the Uly - mostly tarmac - the PR2s tires were a good choice, (lasted the entire trip) but not great in the little dirt we did detour on. Taking Tigger on a trip to the canyon lands (Utah) this Fall - get a chance to test my marginal dirt riding skills. Good luck on your journey mate - keep us posted. TTFN, j PS: I assume Crazyman was refering to a Girly & not a Roadie. Crazyman...??

About 4200km to get there, I don't know what way we are going home yet. A couple of my friends want to take advantage of the 85mph speed limits in the NT, bolt on some road tyres and do a IBA BBG1500 run.

It looks more impressive than it actually is, about 3000km of gravel roads but for the most part they are in pretty good nick.

When whereis eventually posts my route map to me I'll paste it in here.

http://www.whereis.com/?id=5A3AC0B4F055 ... f=emailmap

Farkles for gravel roads.

I'm not convinced that crashbars really save your engine, in fact I've heard of one or two cases where they have contributed to engine case damage. I'm pretty happy with my Touratechs, Tigger has had a little lie down on several occasions in the gravel for minimal damage.

I have radiator and oil cooler guards as well, lots of rock damage from stones and derbis flicked up by vehicles coming the other way in Oz.

I have fitted an aftermarket gear lever with a folding tip after my experiences on the Barrie way earlier in the year. Hopefuly in the next tip over I'll only need to replace the gear lever, not the shift shaft.

I'm running a product called 'Gorilla Snot' in my tubes for puncture prevention. It also claims to reduce the running temps for the tubes and doesn't get out of balance. I like to run my Tourances at 25 Psi on the gravel and the snot seems to have done a good job.

I'm running a Corbin seat and it is not ideal for gravel road work as it weighs a ton and makes it harder to paddle in the mud due to the increased height. However it makes the long days in the saddle such a pleasure I persevere with it.

Don't be discouraged, with its 19" front wheel, riding position and suspension travel A Girly is miles better down the gravel than any road bike and is a hoot to ride into the bargain. Just make sure you know what you are getting into and are being honest about your intended use. If you really want something to attack the trails with, look elsewhere. If you want a cheap capable, lovable all roads tourer a Tigger is what you are looking for.

Enjoy!
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180