News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

'05 Deceleration Vibration !!!!!!!!

Started by Patrick the Scot, September 03, 2004, 04:11:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick the Scot

All right, it seems that we have a trend and the trend is as follows: annoying vibration that is felt during off throttle riding (unloaded driveline)  Has anyone had an official diagnosis from a Triumph dealer?    Also, please reference the thread on '05 swingarm advantages diisadvantages.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

Texas Tech Red Raiders - 2008 BIG IIX NCAAF CHAMPS

newmanr19

I have an '02 and the front end shakes quite noticably around 30-35mph under decelleration. Dealer says it's either a case of irregular wearing (cupped) of the front tire; or an issue with the head bearings. The bike only has 1700 miles and the tire looks fine; and I don't notice any significant play up around the triple trees..   but I am going to take it in and have them look at it anyway.

Dennisra12

Have your dealer give Triumph a call. We need to get their attention on this.
2005 Tiger

1968 Tiger

Patrick the Scot

I did the chain tightening excerise and the vibration in off-throttle cruising went away... Might have been a flopping chain.  I think it is still worth letting the dealer know.
"As far back as I can remember... I always wanted to be a gangster" - Good Fellas

newmanr19

Quote from: "Patrick the Scot"All right, it seems that we have a trend and the trend is as follows: annoying vibration that is felt during off throttle riding (unloaded driveline)  Has anyone had an official diagnosis from a Triumph dealer?    Also, please reference the thread on '05 swingarm advantages diisadvantages.

btw, you didn't specify where your vibration is eminating from but if it's from the front wheel; you may want to:

A. check for wear (i.e. cupped tire wear)

B. air pressure; underinflated tire will do this

Patrick the Scot

Vibration is coming (came) from "undreneath" the saddle.  It always felt like a driveline vibration.  The rig is brand new with proper tire pressure, 36PSI front.   Anyway, it went away upon tightening the chain... I think the manual specs are too loose.  Thanks for the tip.

Barnyrunner

I have recently collected a Silver 05 Tiger and have also notice vibration at over run/ or throttle eased off at 3 to 4000 RPM.  I can feel the vibration through the LH foot peg adjacent to the chain run.  I have checked the chain adjustment as the handbook states on the side stand which is OK.  To me this seems odd as this could be done on the centre stand with no wieght on the back wheel or free standing with known wieght on the back wheel, I would have though using the side stand would be inaccurate.  Could someone enlighten me with their views.

PS.  I am a B*W (R1100S) refugee so chains are a bit technically advanced for me.

Regards

Ian

Brock

They must have changed the handbook for the '05 model, 'cos the handbook for my '04 clearly says use the centre stand. How the f...k are you supposed to rotate the back wheel with the bike on the sidestand?

I can't imagine the new swingarm makes any difference to the basic technique of adjusting the chain...or does it?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

PeterO

Quote from: "Brock"They must have changed the handbook for the '05 model, 'cos the handbook for my '04 clearly says use the centre stand. How the f...k are you supposed to rotate the back wheel with the bike on the sidestand?

The same way you do it on every other bike that doesn't have a centre stand :roll:

Don't forget the old steamers didn't have a centre stand by default, it was an add-on.

Peter

Brock

Sorry...my mistake...you see I only have two hands.  Now let me guess...I suppose you get a paddock stand. Or get a friend to rotate the wheel and check for tight spots and free play on the chain, while you hold the back of the bike up.

Ians bike has both side and centre stands. Why piss about on the sidestand when the centre stand way is so much better?
Chris

\"Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.\" J R R Tolkein

CormacG

QuoteWhy piss about on the sidestand when the centre stand way is so much better?

That's true but the side stand is invaluable when parking in packed bike bays. Gimpy Scooter riders tend to park right under the high altitude handlebars when on the centre stand making it impossible to get the bike down off it. At least when you use the side stand you can push the Tiger out in the worst cases.
Drivers wearing hats are to be avoided.

Neil M

Having just become a member I would add my concerns to the ongoing chain debacle. Im probably missing the point somewhere but should the chain not be adjusted fully weighted ie bike and rider. I collected my 05 machine fresh out of the box on Saturday 200 miles later I'm noticing the vibration problem. Checked the chain tension on the centre stand with me off the bike and measured the required 35-40mm free movement. With bike off the stand and my 14 stone applied the free movement is down to about 10mm. Where should it be?

No rush for a reply as I have since broken my collerbone in a non riding incident and may be looking for a surrogate runner-inner. :cry:  :cry:

Chris Canning

Hi Neil

Blimey!!!!,as for the chain,put in on C/S set it at what you think,tighten the lockers up, knock it of the C/S sit on it, lean down and try it with you finger,the more wieght your carrying the slacker it will have to be,as rule of thumb i find the bottom run of the chain,if you can flick the chain up and it touches the black chain run protecting the swing arm it's ok.

Chris

Neil M

Chris.

Thanks for this info I'll put it into practice soon.