News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Fork oil change

Started by renagade, June 16, 2010, 11:09:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

renagade

Being a work shy type I was wondering if you could get the old fork oil out by removing the bolt on the lower end of the front forks????????
What do you think
There are so many roads to ride and so little time to ride them.

KuzzinKenny

Eeeeeerrrmmmmmm !! No !! there are a few that have tryed to remove that bolt and had to rebuild the forks anyway as the bolt screws into a part inside the fork and not the outer fork tube ( that would have been a lot handier )

http://www.bikebandit.com/2003-triumph- ... r/o/m17601

grrreat source for details drawins  :D

KK

ps i have in the past used a syringe ( a very large one ) and a piece of tubing  :shock:  just remember to support the front end when ya take the caps off !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

KKs right.  The bolt retains the damper to the fork bottoms.  He's also right about the syringe and tube, but it doesn't remove the sludge at the bottom of the forks which can impede the damper.  New oil isn't going to improve anything much unless you get the muck out of the way  :?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Mustang

I've also found that if you keep compressing the fork tube back and forth you will get a lot more oil and sludge out of the damper every time you tip it up to empty it .
You will be pouring oil out everytime you compress the damper , you will get lots of sludge out .
It's worth the bother to remove the forks from the bike to properly empty them . One or both tubes will be full of sludge unless you routinely change the oil in them at frequent intervals like every 4-5000 miles . :shock: