News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How many Tigers were built each year in the 90's?

Started by mattsaw, June 18, 2010, 05:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattsaw

Does anyone know how many Tigers Triumph built in the 90's :?:

Where I live bike insurance is stupid expensive, unless you can put collectors plates on!  Which means it needs to be more than 25 years old, OR had less than 1500 of that model made that year  :) .

I've recently run across someone who had a 1995 BWM R100GS bumblebee... that after four years of digging for info, he found out he made the cut for cheap insurance, and am really hoping an older Tiger would fit the same bill...

Any one have the numbers or an idea on where I could find it? So far google'ing has given me nothing but sore fingers.

aeronca

not too sure, mustang is the man with the answer's. i think in 95' they imported 250 models.?.?.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

oxnsox

Theres a good chance you might sneek in on the number.... I can't help with your answer but how many bikes total did Triumph make that year across all models.... That may be a good place to start.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mustang

Getting an actual production # by model and year is probably going to be next to impossible

I actually don't think you will qualify as the tiger was a very popular motorbike in germany , even though there were not great numbers of bikes imported to USA and Canada , Germany was getting them in bigger #s
http://www.sorenwinslow.com/Triumph.asp

notice that in 1995  they were up to  12,000 units per year and only had 6 models
if production was equal in all models it would have been 2000 units per model the tiger probably came in less than that but it was the second production year for the tiger

production #'s of 1996 thru 1998 models of tigers only got bigger

from this timeline is this bit of info :

Triumph lives again. At the Cologne Motor Cycle Show, six new Triumph models are shown, powered by three- and four-cylinder DOHC engines with high horsepower and torque, all liquid-cooled: Trident 750 and 900; Trophy 900 and 1200; Daytona 750 and 1000. 2,390 machines are sold this year, 974 into the UK.
Triumph's new factory in Hinckley, Leicestershire, is completed on an 11-acre site. The company has around 50 employees, producing about five bikes a day.
This year saw the introduction of in-house painting and plating - a huge investment to back the place of Triumph as a quality product. All engine and frame components were treated to an epoxy powder coat in graphite for Sprint and Trophy, and wrinkle black for Trident and Daytona models. The Sprint and Daytonas were also restyled with lighter rear bodywork and solid colors.
Founding of "Triumph Motorcycles of America" completes the return of Triumph to the largest market in the world. Cascade Moto Classics, in Tigard, Oregon (original location) is awarded a Triumph dealership under the new dealer network.
Launch of Triumph in Canada at the Toronto bike show, January. Plans of expansion to increase capacity for production of Triumph in the next century receives the green light with permission to construct a new plant on a site greater than 400,000m2.
Triumph re-enters the competition ring with the introduction of the "Speed Triple Challenge Race" in Donnington Park in England. At the Cologne show Triumph launches the much-awaited Thunderbird with its nostalgia styling and detuned (70bhp) engine. The engine castings were also new and the frame substantially modified: a ground-up redesign of the T309 standard to meet a particular set of design objectives, within the limits of modular production.
The Tiger is introduced: a new direction for Triumph and the first use of a plastic tank on a Triumph, plus the most sophisticated suspension on any Triumph ever.
Triumph enters the US market again for the first time since the close of the Meriden Cooperative.
Triumph buys back UK dispatcher Andy Utting's 1992 Trident after 250,000 miles. Although the engine was hardly touched in that time, Utting went through 30 pair of tires, 120 oil changes, 24 sets of brake pads, two speedometer cables and 14 chain and sprocket sets. In exchange, he got a new Daytona 900. The workforce is up to 300 this year and production was around 12,000 units a year.
Total production passes 50,000 this year. More than 11,000 motorcyclists have toured the Hinckley factory since it opened in 1990. Triumph has about 350 employees working two shifts, from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m., producing around 80 bikes a day for 35 countries around the world.

aeronca

hey mustang, could you cut and paste this info to the "why do they call them"  thread? this is good info.    eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

mattsaw

Thanks Mustang! This forum is fantastic!

Well it might be unlikely seeing as they made 12000 bikes in that year, spread over 6 models... but I think I may be liking my odds!
I've never done too well in Vegas... but I think I'll continue the search for information.

Anyone else have a clue?

I was shocked when i heard they made less than 1500bmw bumblebees in '95, so in my mind the sweet steamer should be much more exclusive.

aeronca

here's some more redundant info. shows some production numbers though:

Due to the fact that the company's manufacturing plant and its designs were too far out of date to compete against the now-dominant Japanese makers, Bloor did not relaunch Triumph immediately. Instead, production of the Triumph Bonneville was licensed to a small plant in Devon, which produced the model on a limited scale until 1988. In the meantime, Bloor set to work assembling the new Triumph, hiring several of the group's former designers to begin work on new models. Bloor took his team to Japan on a tour of its competitors' facilities and became determined to adopt Japanese manufacturing techniques and especially new-generation computer controlled machinery. In 1985, Triumph purchased a first set of equipment to begin working, in secret, on its new prototype models. By 1987, the company had completed its first engine. The following year, the company purchased a new site in Hinckley and began construction of a new, state-of-the-art facility, completed in 1990.

In that year, Triumph returned to the worldwide motorcycle scene with the launch of six new models. Full-scale production began in 1991, as the company, now with nearly 100 employees, produced some 1,200 motorcycles. Bloor, who continued to bankroll the company's development from his own fortune, had correctly judged that the Triumph name remained a strong marketing tool, and by the end of 1991 the company had begun shipping to Germany, then Holland, Australia, and France. The company also shrewdly kept many of the original Triumph model names from its heyday. By 1992, the company's production had already topped 5,000 motorcycles.

The new Triumphs were not only winning praise for their design innovation but for their high quality as well. Sales and production continued to surge, topping 8,000 in 1993. By 1995, the company was already reaching the 15,000-unit capacity of its existing facility, as orders came in from more than 25 countries. In 1997, in order to meet growing demand, Triumph initiated an expansion of the Hinckley plant.

Triumph initially avoided entering the U.S. market because its production facilities were not yet able to meet the expected demand. In 1995, however, Triumph reentered the United States, launching an updated version of its famed Thunderbird. The company also took a leaf from Harley Davidson's book, launching a line of Triumph-branded clothing and accessories. The United States proved a ready market for the company, fueled in part by Triumph's willingness to allow dealers to offer test rides--something most motorcycle manufacturers refused.

Triumph relaunched another legendary model in 1996, the Daytona, which surprised the industry by outselling its comparably classed rival from Honda. Meanwhile, the company moved to take advantage of a growing shift in the motorcycle market away from youthful customers to a more affluent clientele of 35-50 year-olds attracted by Triumph's retro styling. In 2000, the company relaunched its legendary Bonneville, the success of which boosted the company's total production to 33,000 units by 2001. The company was also finally beginning to break even, on sales that had risen to an estimated £165 million ($250 million). Bloor's own investment in the company was said to have totaled as much as £100 million.

In February 2002, as the company was preparing to celebrate its 100th anniversary as a motorcycle maker, its main factory was hit by fire, which destroyed most of its manufacturing capacity. Nevertheless, the company, which by then numbered more than 300 employees, quickly rebuilt the facility and returned to production by September of that year. Furthermore, Triumph began plans to build a new, cutting-edge manufacturing facility, which was expected to open in 2003. John Bloor was not only credited with reviving an industry legend, he had also proved that high-quality, state-of-the-art manufacturing remained possible in Britain in the new century
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Mustang

Quote from: "aeronca"here's some more redundant info. shows some production numbers though:

rebuilt the facility and returned to production by September of that year. Furthermore, Triumph began plans to build a new, cutting-edge manufacturing facility, which was expected to open in 2003. John Bloor was not only credited with reviving an industry legend, he had also proved that high-quality, state-of-the-art manufacturing remained possible in Britain in the new century

did you know that now most if not all the Bonnevilles are built in Taiwan not UK ?

aeronca

:shock:  even the Steve McQeen scrambler???
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

brad1098

I thought the factory was in Singapore, not Taiwan?

It doesn't really matter though.
02 black-Lorna

aeronca

Quote from: brad1098I thought the factory was in Singapore, not Taiwan?

It doesn't really matter though.

if thats the case, can sin_tiger get us a discount :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Nick Calne

Thailand not Taiwan no?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

Quote from: "nickcalne"Thailand not Taiwan no?
ding ding ding
that's the place I knew it was somewhere over there  :ImaPoser