News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

No No No No No!!!!

Started by Nick Calne, June 27, 2010, 06:26:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

My riding season's short as I suffer from hay fever and some related dizziness, so I have been looking forward to a ride for a week or two.

Well, I saddled up and was just pulling off the drive then there was a weird pinging noise from the bottom of the bike.  I thought I better have a look before I ride off.

On inspection my swingarm has snapped at the bolt!! Through the thickest bit of the metal . Unbelievable!!

Yes, before you say it I have a torque wrench and I never over tighten - I'm kinda anal about torquing to the right figures....so what on earth has happened?  Absolutely, totally gutted and in despair...

Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

chairhead

03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

nightrunner

Oh man, that is rotten luck especially with your short riding season.  You are not the first one to have the eccentric clamp break though.  There are a couple of threads here on it.  Turns out the factory torque spec is way too tight for those bolts.   It does not take much torque at all to tighten down a clamp of that diameter and someone at Hinckley blew it.  Even a little torque on those bolts produces a lot of tension in that band.  You can have it welded though; no need to buy the whole swingarm.

I rarely use a torque wrench; in fact only for head bolts.  For small M/C bolts I like to tighten with a 1/4" drive ratchet held so that I'm twisting my wrist to tighten (i.e. no upper body leverage).   If you want an extra measure of safety then use thread locker rather than more torque.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

Mustang

:iagree
what nightrunner said and the trophy swingarm is the same BTw!

CoolHandLuke

That ebay swingarm will not fit onto a steamer.  The most obvious thing is the missing mount point for the rear brake strut.

Commiserations on the swing arm.  When I came to replace my swingarm, which broke the rear strut mount when a disc bolt came loose and slammed into the rear carrier, I was told that the it is rare for the swingarms to fail, but if they do, it is usually where yours has failed.

Nick Calne

Quote from: "chairhead"Poo!!,
will this fit??

If mustang says so, then it does!  So bid placed.... Thanks Chairhead, mustang, nightrunner...

I was pretty down about it earlier, then England lost to Germany, which didn't help at all.  (well done German's btw)

But I'm feeling more buoyant now....I'm thinking this is an opportunity for some wider, general bike improvement and ad hoc farkling!  You know, sort the pesky things out in a warm garage and do all the things I have been meaning to do for a while.  :lol:

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "nickcalne"
will this fit??

If mustang says so, then it does!  So bid placed.... Thanks Chairhead.

Sorry, he is wrong in this case.  Have a look at the right hand side of your swingarm and then look at the right arm of the swing arm on ebay.  Waste your money if you like, but at least go and check.

Nick Calne

Nick Calne

The brake torque arm fixing is missing!  :shock:

CoolHandLuke

This one is likely to fit.  You will need to see the underside to confirm it will fit.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TROPHY-93-REAR-SWING-ARM-/150459539838?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item230816617e

This is definitely the right one, but a tad pricey.  There is an option to submit best offer "Preis Vorschlagen":

http://cgi.ebay.de/Triumph-Tiger-Vergasermodell-original-Schwinge-komplett-/190386178562?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile&hash=item2c53e68a02

Nick Calne

OK, here's the plan

I'm going to re-sell the first one if I win it.  Anyone wanna buy a trophy swingarm?

I'm gonna gamble on the second one.  I've put  a bid in.

The third one is too much!  If the first and second aren't correct, I'll have to wait for another to come up.

Mustang

Quote from: "CoolHandLuke"
Quote from: "nickcalne"
will this fit??

If mustang says so, then it does!  So bid placed.... Thanks Chairhead.

Sorry, he is wrong in this case.  Have a look at the right hand side of your swingarm and then look at the right arm of the swing arm on ebay.  Waste your money if you like, but at least go and check.
yep I fu**ed up.......... forgot that in 96 the trophy got a remake to under-slung calipers instead of on top like the tigger
it would still work you would just have the caliper on the bottom of swingarm instead of on top

NeilD

hopefully the shock linkage mount is the same (linkages are different).. shame that RF9rider is on his hols as his Tiger came fitted with,I think, a Trophy S/A  and he could've done some measuring up...

Nick Calne

I've got two different ones coming so I'll have a good comparison session and report what I find.

Then I'm going to going to open a shop called 'Nick's Swingarms' to supplement my meager earnings!  :lol:

Colonel Nikolai

I just adjusted my chain on the Tigger and used the settings in my haynes manual which is  35 Nm. is this too much?
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.