News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Broken sidestand

Started by Benziltiger, June 29, 2010, 11:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benziltiger

Folks, have any of you experienced your sidestand breaking and the bike ending up on its side? Thats what happened to me the other day. After putting the bike through its MOT, which it passed, I stopped off to have a quick coffee before a journey to work. Just as I was about to swing my leg over, grabbing the handlebar to do so, the bike started to fall towards me! Taking me completely by surprise, I couldn't stop it falling over, but managed to control the descent! After getting it back up, with some help, there was the stand and spring on the ground. The weld had broken just below the hole that the pivot bolt goes through, and later that evening, with the help of my Dad, welded it back together again. My Dad, who's a blacksmith, said the original welding was really poor, and wondered how it had lasted this long (bike is 5yrs old, 24k miles)
\'05 955i in Black (of course!)

iansoady

Quote from: "Benziltiger"Folks, have any of you experienced your sidestand breaking and the bike ending up on its side?

No, but I'm just off to the garage to check mine!
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

KuzzinKenny

Broken sidestand !!  :shock: that`s scary !! i to will be checkin mine soon, its on the centre stand at the mo so should be OK !!

wait a minute !! wasn`t there a thread about failing centre stands  :shock:

i think i`ll go and prop mine against the wall !!  :lol:

KK

ps Welcome to TT.com !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Benziltiger

My centre stand failed on me too, but luckily the bike wasn't on it at the time. I'm just back from an 800 mile trip round the Outer Hebrides and the north of Scotland and I'm now getting a judder whilst braking. If its not one thing.........
\'05 955i in Black (of course!)

mille44

On the seventh day God made Triumphs; and the Devil rides a Triple!

If its wide enough for two wheels it\'s a road!

Keep talkin\'...I\'m takin\' up the trigger slack!

jammed_stick

Last week on my way to North cape the side stand broke.
Just snapped off :(
Had parked the Girly on the side stand because I wanted to take some nice pictures and when I entered the bike, swung over my leg I suddenly realised I was laying down on the side with my bike over my leg :(
Damned heavy bike to raise up ... Haven't been able to lift ot up if I had been alone.
Some smaller scratches on the side bag and a small part of footpeg broke off (the end with hero peg)...
Looking at the broken side stand I realise this peace of junk must be undersized for this busty girl....

Does anybody know if there is a third party side stand for Girlies available ?

walker

as upright as the bike is - there does seem to be a lot of force right at the weld.... I used a C_clamp on one bike to make the little ears closer so that the side stand wouldn't move as much when down...

overloading the bike might do it. Sitting on the bike with the sidestand down might do it too. I've seen people dismount by putting the sidestand down, and then using the foot peg like a stirrup and dismount as if from a horse.

Anyway - a good reminder to check it periodically. It's one of the things I check.

Tigertriple

I was going over my bike a week or so back just checking all the nuts and bolts were tight and noticed that my side stand bolt was only hand tight  :!:

I had felt a rattle under my left foot a few days prior to this which must have been the loose stand.

I have got into a habit of checking over the bike every couple of hundred miles as I noticed that the centre stand bolts have a habit of coming loose.
2006, 955 Tiger Caspian blue with lot\'s of juicy extras

TigerTrax

Sidestands were an issue with steamers.... but all they did was slowly bend!

On the BAD SIDE . . this a Girly.
On the GOOD SIDE . .
This is the FIRST side stand issue I have heard of on a Girly.
On the BAD SIDE: It completely BROKE OFF !  
On the GOOD SIDE: It wasn't my bike.

Like the canary in coal mine . . . you sounded the alarm.... and lived to
tell about it!

I'll be checking mine this eve. Thanks.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

jammed_stick

Here comes a photos of the side stand..

jammed_stick

The "side stand  story" didn't end here !
I ordered a new sidestand and it cost me approx 120 USD.
I mounted it without any problem, it was very simple.
So to salubrate the new born Girly ;)  we (me and my wife) made a small trip approx 1167 km.
Guess what !!!
The new Triump quality side stand (made in Thailand) BROKE !!!  :shock:
We rode the Tiger to a restaurant and when we were finnished eating we decided to go back to the camping.
So I mounted the bike as usual and both of us heard a quite loud cracking sound :(.
Decided to investigate what caused the sound when I were back at the camping place..
When I parked the Girly on the sidestand I could immediate see something was very wrong.
It leaned a lot more to the left than usually so I checked the sidestand more carefully and YEP , the new sidestand was broken ("U fork" had a huge open crack underneath). So I though it's better to have it standing on the central stand and grabbed the steering bar .... snapp and Girle was laying down on the ground.
I guess this is world record , two broken side stands within 3 weeks ..
It must be a material fault on the new one but I'm really not surprised since it's made in Thailand...
On Monday I will call the dealer and make some noice.
It's really pissing me off now, The left sidebag is scratched due to side stand problem causing the Girly to lay down on her left sidea but MOST of of all: I don't feel confident anymore with the side stand.... Imagine me parking the Girly beside another motorbike and it snapps off and falls on the other bike...

I strongly therefore recommend you all to check your side stand for cracks (seems the weakest part is the upper where the bolt is)
See also the photo above (showing first side stand )
The new one broke the same way !

Lovely bike but I have had all of the weaknesses found on this forum:(except stator problem), Warped disks (3 set warped) , Front wheel exchanged to a new one where the center part was  milled to have it 100 % straight , spewing out liquid
btw: Current front disk set is a floating disc , but it's still warped ..

I have been pacient and neglected the fault severities and have been thinking "shit can happend to any bike" because I really love the Girly.
Guess I have been a bit blind folded ;)
Now she is starting to tempt on my patience  :cry: