News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Johhnyadventurepants Tours the Great American West

Started by johnnyadventurepants, July 01, 2010, 02:06:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnyadventurepants

I'm going to do it!  My dream trip!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Lynden,+WA&daddr=OR-202+S%2FNehalem+Hwy+to:US-101+S+to:US-101+S%2FOregon+Coast+Hwy+to:Leggett,+Mendocino,+California+to:CA-1+S%2FShoreline+Hwy+to:CA-1+S%2FCoast+Hwy+to:CA-1+S%2FShoreline+Hwy+1+to:San+Francisco,+ca+to:bodie,+ca+to:US-50+E+to:UT-21+E%2FEly+Hwy+to:I-15+S+to:UT-148+N+to:UT-12+E+to:37.738141,-111.747437+to:moab,+utah+to:telluride,+co+to:jackson,+wy+to:Grand+Loop+Rd%2FGrand+Loop+Road+Historic+District+to:west+yellowstone+to:boise,+id+to:US-12+W+to:lynden,+wa&geocode=FUjd6gIddYez-Ckljtxj_LaFVDGu4dgC_yRh_g%3BFfYtwAIdFP-e-A%3BFdresgIdjoCe-A%3BFVgwiQId5N2V-A%3BFelNYAIdiUWg-Cn5KKP_H8zUVDEuWeGg_PrfKA%3BFRJ2XAId1D6f-A%3BFejaTgId1CCk-A%3BFYzFQgIdDPGv-A%3BFVJmQAIdKAe0-CkhAGkAbZqFgDH_rXbwZxNQSg%3BFX4SRwIdggTo-CnLwGj6K8qXgDGfQa5e9OgNFA%3BFWg3WQIdROMH-Q%3BFbyDSgIdKJo_-Q%3BFeD3PgIdfIlC-Q%3BFaCnPQIdLA1G-Q%3BFTaIPwId0k5P-Q%3B%3BFQSVTAId8WZ4-SmNLbia5eFHhzEtxNXxerEyCw%3BFVbhQgIdQ-qS-Slz9OZwe9g-hzHh47pxIXfuOA%3BFXlzlwIdROZl-SlLf8_8WBpTUzFcgzqxywEcPQ%3BFQ09qQIdmYlq-Q%3BFYV9qQIdk69g-SkDKzJ6wLlRUzEQIJBI951j3Q%3BFdd5mQIdfMIS-SmdtEfpcvGuVDGbnWc2m5hbmg%3BFbxWxwIdBI-_-A%3BFUjd6gIddYez-Ckljtxj_LaFVDGu4dgC_yRh_g&hl=en&mra=dpe&mrcr=3&mrsp=15&sz=10&via=1,2,3,5,6,7,10,11,12,13,14,15,19,22&sll=37.897614,-112.094879&sspn=0.666455,1.448822&ie=UTF8&ll=46.494611,-119.333496&spn=2.325633,7.888184&z=8

Highlights include  Highway 101/ 1, Redwoods, Golden Gate Bridge, Yosemite NP, Bodie Ghost Town, Highway 50 (Loneliest Highway in America, , Arches NP, White Rim Trail, Several of the Colorado passes, Grand Tetons NP, Yellowstone NP,  and Mt Rainier NP.  Not bad for 2 weeks, huh?  

Go ahead and critique my route.  Let me know of any must see stops/side routes, keeping in mind how much ground I have to cover in 2 weeks.

I plan on leaving on Sat Sept 3 and taking 2 weeks to do this.  I am riding solo.  If you are on/near my route and would like to do any of the following, let me know:

-hook up and ride with me for a while

-offer a tent space/shower/washing machine

-just give me your number for emergency break down help

:D

[/img]
\'99 Tiger 885i

TwoShots

Looks good, Pants

Any special reason why you're riding through the insanity of Salt Lake City?

If you want to gain A LOT more of the best of Southern Utah scenery and slightly cooler temps (higher elevations), consider this route between Ely, NV and Moab:  
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 777588&z=7

Nearly all of it (after Cedar City) is an excellent mix of thick national forests and red rock country. Definately easier on the eyes and more inviting/fun than SLC and the I-80/I-70 corridors.

I could do some tarmac with you if you stay south of I-70. I'm out there often. The mapped route is my back yard.

FYI: Good shops are few and far between. Best Triumph shop is located in Las Vegas. Roadside assistance for this area available via my MC trailer if you're in a pinch. I'll PM a phone number.

Can't offer tent space, but I can offer a ticket for a shower and a washer/dryer if you're by this way. Low to no-cost camping is nearby and all along that route.
TS
\'07 Tiger 1050
\'07 Suzuki DR-Z 400
Kolob Web Studio

johnnyadventurepants

Quote from: "TwoShots"Looks good, Pants

Any special reason why you're riding through the insanity of Salt Lake City?

SLC wasn't a destination: it was just between the Salt Flats and Moab.  I totally agree that your suggested route is much better as far as actual riding.  I am kind of approaching this trip as a photographer (completely amateur) as much as I am a rider.  I want to capture as much as I can on camera and the salt flats is so unique.  I am not 100% on them and I'll have to think it over and maybe even do both.

Quote from: "TwoShots"I could do some tarmac with you if you stay south of I-70. I'm out there often. The mapped route is my back yard.

FYI: Good shops are few and far between. Best Triumph shop is located in Las Vegas. Roadside assistance for this area available via my MC trailer if you're in a pinch. I'll PM a phone number.

Good info.  Thanks.  And I have your number on file in case of emergency.

Quote from: "TwoShots"Can't offer tent space, but I can offer a ticket for a shower and a washer/dryer if you're by this way.

Can you explain :?:   Like at a campground, or truck stop?
\'99 Tiger 885i

aeronca

man that looks fun. wish i could go :(    i did notice one thing though, you failed to include a stop at the center of the universe "Monroe, Wa" :lol:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

johnnyadventurepants

TwoShots, I took you advice and edited my route accordingly.  You have to trust the locals!  How about some more ideas?  Would like input on SW Colorado to Yellowstone and also Yellowstone to Mt Rainer.  I would like to do something via Oregon as I have crossed Washington enough times.
\'99 Tiger 885i

johnnyadventurepants

Quote from: "aeronca"man that looks fun. wish i could go :(    i did notice one thing though, you failed to include a stop at the center of the universe "Monroe, Wa" :lol:

Well it sounds like Monroe deserves its own trip;  it can't be lowered to the status of just one of many blips on a huge trip! :)
\'99 Tiger 885i

aeronca

oh so true :lol:   ride safe bro.     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

jphish

Greetings Mr 'Pants' - Just a couple a questionable tips: 1 - pick your time to cross the GG bridge. Mid day usually better than morn or afternoon. Traffic so bad it makes ya want to jump. 2 - If you're going to Moab and it's too hot to camp, the Red Rock inn is a pretty cool, relatively inexpensive place to stay right in center of town. (or at least it was 3 years ago) Even has cowboy lampshades and bedspreads. About 25 miles south of Moab is a BLM road (paved) to the Needles overlook. Pretty wonderful vista, in a landscape full of vistas. Twoshots can confirm or deny if its worth the detour. I, like you, was just a visitor to the canyonland of eyecandy. After Labor day, things should be a bit less populated too. On a final note - (I know you're also a NW resident so this may all be superflous, but for what its worth...) if you can leave on Sat of the Labor day weekend that would be desirable (noting your time limitations of 2 weeks) The peninsula loop will likely provide plenty of company but its its got 'lumpy' traffic almost anytime in summer anyway. If youve never been - Cape Flattery is worth a look. About 3/4 mile pretty easy hike from parking lot. Of all the Rain Forest river roads - the Hoh is still the best to appreciate what a 150" of annual precipitation means. The entire loop is an easy 2 day ride. I'd stop early Mon afternoon and camp somewhere & let the holiday traffic do its thing. SW Wa & NW Or is a parking lot on day 3 of 3 day weekends. I'll be fighting it Northbound from a Grants Pass Family reunion. If you see a silver tiger going the other way - wave. Good luck on your journey - GREAT TRIP!!  TTFN, j ...... PS - Sorry you're going to miss the Wa Tiger fest the next weekend - but worth it.

GatorTiger

The part I did looked like this:

Number 3 is off your route, but you would miss this:

But get ready for this:

You would be coming from where I'm heading to in the last pic...

Going from point 2 to 1 is NAAAAAIIIICE twisties through birch forests...

I'm envious!!  :P

Have a good trip, take lots of pics!

Cheers,
HG
Triumph Tiger - The ultimate riding machine! \";-)\"

Know this:  A clean Tiger is a dirty shame!!

blacktiger

Yeah! The road in that last photo is amazing. HWY12 south from Torrey, through Boulder and Escalante IIRC. If you do ride this then you should look at Bryce canyon.

You say that you want to do some passes in Colorado. If you mean dirt roads, then the best IMO is the Engineer pass out of Silverton heading east to Lake City. Just watch the lumpy bits on the sharp turns. You can do a loop by coming back over the Cinamon Pass which will bring you back to Animas Forks then back to Silverton. The Ophir pass cuts a lot of road miles if you need to get from the 550 to the 145.
Don't attempt Tincup pass on the Tiger loaded with luggage. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it at all on the Tiger. I would also suggest doing the White Rim Trail unloaded as it's hard work in places.

Nice trip. Wish I could be doing it too.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

TheMule

Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825

johnnyadventurepants

Quote from: "jphish"Greetings Mr 'Pants' - Just a couple a questionable tips: 1 - pick your time to cross the GG bridge. Mid day usually better than morn or afternoon. Traffic so bad it makes ya want to jump. 2 - If you're going to Moab and it's too hot to camp, the Red Rock inn is a pretty cool, relatively inexpensive place to stay right in center of town. (or at least it was 3 years ago) Even has cowboy lampshades and bedspreads. About 25 miles south of Moab is a BLM road (paved) to the Needles overlook. Pretty wonderful vista, in a landscape full of vistas. Twoshots can confirm or deny if its worth the detour. I, like you, was just a visitor to the canyonland of eyecandy. After Labor day, things should be a bit less populated too. On a final note - (I know you're also a NW resident so this may all be superflous, but for what its worth...) if you can leave on Sat of the Labor day weekend that would be desirable (noting your time limitations of 2 weeks) The peninsula loop will likely provide plenty of company but its its got 'lumpy' traffic almost anytime in summer anyway. If youve never been - Cape Flattery is worth a look. About 3/4 mile pretty easy hike from parking lot. Of all the Rain Forest river roads - the Hoh is still the best to appreciate what a 150" of annual precipitation means. The entire loop is an easy 2 day ride. I'd stop early Mon afternoon and camp somewhere & let the holiday traffic do its thing. SW Wa & NW Or is a parking lot on day 3 of 3 day weekends. I'll be fighting it Northbound from a Grants Pass Family reunion. If you see a silver tiger going the other way - wave. Good luck on your journey - GREAT TRIP!!  TTFN, j ...... PS - Sorry you're going to miss the Wa Tiger fest the next weekend - but worth it.

Thanks for the input!  I decided to scrap Olympic NP.  I've already been there this summer and you're right- traffic can be bad.  I'm thinking of the stretch between Port Angeles and Rialto beach along that lake (Crescent?)
\'99 Tiger 885i

johnnyadventurepants

Quote from: "blacktiger"Yeah! The road in that last photo is amazing. HWY12 south from Torrey, through Boulder and Escalante IIRC. If you do ride this then you should look at Bryce canyon.

You say that you want to do some passes in Colorado. If you mean dirt roads, then the best IMO is the Engineer pass out of Silverton heading east to Lake City. Just watch the lumpy bits on the sharp turns. You can do a loop by coming back over the Cinamon Pass which will bring you back to Animas Forks then back to Silverton. The Ophir pass cuts a lot of road miles if you need to get from the 550 to the 145.
Don't attempt Tincup pass on the Tiger loaded with luggage. In fact, I wouldn't recommend it at all on the Tiger. I would also suggest doing the White Rim Trail unloaded as it's hard work in places.

Nice trip. Wish I could be doing it too.

Yes, I'm planning on doing the "offroad" passes.  I don't have that area mapped out yet but Cinnamon, California, Black Bear, Ophir, Engineer, Imogene are some that I just pulled out of my memory from ride reports on ADVrider.  I'm not sure how many, which ones, or in what order yet.  I would like to go with someone else but I'll do them solo if that's how it turns out.  I'll probably being starting them on a Sunday the 12th so I'm sure there will be plenty of people around.

The White Rim trail has suffered some damage so right now I'm thinking it will be a ride in and back instead of a loop.
\'99 Tiger 885i

johnnyadventurepants

Quote from: "TheMule"Sent you a PM.

Hey Todd, I'll definitely call you right before I'm in your area.  I'm thinking around the morning of Thursday Sept 9.  I might be ahead/behind "schedule" but I'll keep this thread updated with my location.  How long are you interested in riding together?  Couple hours or couple days?  Street, dirt, or a little of both?  I have the Bench Mark Recreational Atlas for Utah and it's really overwhelming how many side roads/trails there are!
\'99 Tiger 885i

TheMule

I'm tied up with work on the 9th but am currently open on the 10th and could make any day that weekend work. I was just thinking about a day with you at the most if that's welcome. Also, if you need anything call.
Todd

2001 Roulette Green Tiger -

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5825