News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

pilot needle...leave it or drill it

Started by BruKen, July 13, 2010, 12:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruKen

I thought to give Mustang's Mikuni carb cleaning sticky a whirl and follow some of his advice on settings etc. seeing as I had to take the carbs out to re-insert the manual idle screw. I had also missed the "hidden" filter first time I serviced the carbs for seized butterflys. At this time I did not touch the pilot needles with the philosophy of nothing has changed since it last ran, leave well enough alone. Maybe I should have because all the pilot needles had semi corroded in and were rather tight. The first one althouth tight seemed to turn in 1 and a quarter turns before getting stiffer. Number two was so tight I thought better of seeing how tight it would go and just loosenned it. Number 3 is seized in propper. The screw driver has basically malformed the slot and any further fettling will completely destroy the slot. Mmm 2 turns out then on that one is unlikely. Probably 1 and a quarter like the first. I seem to recall reading here somewhere that is the tad lean original factory setting. So it's a toss up now. Drill and run a real risk of catastrophy or leave as is and return the previous two to 1 and a quarter. (If indeed that is what they were....hard to be certain when they are that stiff)

Decisions, decisions ..... :(

JetdocX

Do the right thing, or do it again later.  At least that's my experience. :lol:
From parts unknown.

BruKen

BruKen

Ok, I am in the market for a carb set or cylinder no. 3 carb body. Mikuni.
I have drilled to the beginning of the thread but it's corroded in to the point of breaking all torque bits.

Mustang

Ok at this point seeing how you are resigned to replacing the carb /carbs
try a little heat from a propane torch ..not enuff to melt the alum but enuff to get her good and hot and quite possibly the pilot needle will give up and let go

JetdocX

I hate to see other people's projects going sideways like mine always seem to.  Sorry, brother, I feel your pain. 8)
From parts unknown.

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"Ok at this point seeing how you are resigned to replacing the carb /carbs
try a little heat from a propane torch ..not enuff to melt the alum but enuff to get her good and hot and quite possibly the pilot needle will give up and let go

Been there :( nothing. Less that 0.3 mm of the original left. Drilled to the needle. Cut into the thread on two sides to collapse the remains. This bastard has welded itself in. Typical of stainless in anaerobic conditions. Bugger. Best bet now is to drill over size and insert a tapped brass bush. But the engineering for that may cost more in the end. Absolutely gutted.

Mustang

whats the thread size  on the pilot screw ?

Geoff D

Lets see a pic Bruce..... wish I was closer so I could come over & help ya...
The older I get the faster I was...

MIMbox

Hi Bruken. PM'd you

BruKen

Quote from: "Mustang"whats the thread size  on the pilot screw ?

I dont have a thread guage but with vernier it looks to be 0.6mm

BruKen

Quote from: "Geoff D"Lets see a pic Bruce..... wish I was closer so I could come over & help ya...

That's kind of ya Geoff. I hate calling a buddy when a job has 95% chance of going south. They come in feeling like a hero and leave feeling worse than me :lol:

here is a pic. Cant get a better one....it's a very small hole

BruKen

Quote from: "MIMbox"Hi Bruken. PM'd you

You may just be my hero mate!!!! :eusa_clap  :eusa_dance

BruKen

Quote from: "JetdocX"I hate to see other people's projects going sideways like mine always seem to.  Sorry, brother, I feel your pain. 8)

Your advice was sterling :lol: I had a running Tiger and a fuberized it. Aren't you the prophet of doom? I blame myself. Ja hey. Enthusiastic amateur...that's me :shock:

BruKen

Quote from: "BruKen"
Quote from: "MIMbox"Hi Bruken. PM'd you

You may just be my hero mate!!!! :eusa_clap  :eusa_dance

mmm, My reply pm is lurking in my outbox. If you dont get it, let me know, but my answer is yes please.