News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

No Shim is thin enough

Started by Tiger Tony, July 28, 2010, 11:52:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger Tony

My valve job has gone well except for one intake valve. On this valve, there is no shim thin enough to finish the job. I certainly plan to order a new intake valve, but what do I do if there isn't enough meat on the new valve to take at least a 2.30mm shim. Your input please.

Jaythro

I think when you have the head off I would be checking for valve seat recession!

New valve seats will sort that out!

Mustang

you are probably screwed .......... is this the valve you cut the seat on ?

The only cure will be have new seats installed costs lots of money and you need to send your head to Texas .....Jetdocx to the white courtesy phone !

or buy a new head from triumph ..even more dosh !

or start the ebay search for a cylinder head .

Tiger Tony

I cut all new seats and lapped the valves in. They are all perfect except one. So, my options are send out the head and get one new seat (what is their process?) or buy another head. What about grinding the tip off the valve stem? Do you know how much case hardening the valves have? I appreciate you sharing your knowledge.

Sin_Tiger

If that's the valve that you ground and you're on a budget I can send you my used set, still got maybe 5-10k miles left if it will get you going.

Better tell me fast as the wife is flying back tonight and she can post them on from Glasgow.

[edit] Sh1te, I keep forgetting it's not that Dundee  :oops:
I used to have long hair, took acid and went to hip joints. Now I long for hair, take antacid and need a new hip joint

Tiger Tony

Thanks for the offer but I believe I need to repair the cylinder head. If anyone know any sources for cylinder head repair stateside, please let me know.

AndyM

You can get shims down to 2.025 from Bike Bandit.

Sasquatch

I ordered a bunch of thin ones.  Which one do you need?  I ended up just getting a used low mile unit from ebay.

But let me know what thickness you need and I will check what I have.

Tiger Tony

Thanks everyone for your offers of assistance. The answer for my situation was to grind .015" off the end of the valve stem. This allowed a 2.50mm shim to give me standard clearance on my exhaust valve. I'll get a picture and post it later. On to assembly! I am so glad I am not repairing the cylinder head. Thanks again.

pizzaman383

Quote from: "Tiger Tony"Thanks everyone for your offers of assistance. The answer for my situation was to grind .015" off the end of the valve stem. This allowed a 2.50mm shim to give me standard clearance on my exhaust valve. I'll get a picture and post it later. On to assembly! I am so glad I am not repairing the cylinder head. Thanks again.

Have you thought about heat treating the ground end to harden it?  You might get more wear if the valve end is not hardened.
PizzaMan383
Black 2004 Tiger

Author: Passionate About Pizza Cookbook

Tiger Tony

Good thought, but by the grind marks, I believe the end is still hard. By reason, even if the valve was only case hardened, .015" off the end should not have penetrated the surface hardness, which would be at least .060" by my experience. However, I am glad I didn't have to go any deeper. I would have been concerned.