News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Bolivia and Peru

Started by Nimrod11, August 12, 2010, 06:49:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

Ditto what Racinante said. I thought you'd be riding in mud much of the way. With only a few Kms of mud, the Tourances or MTs would be a fine choice. Carry a repair kit & pump? ABSOLUTELY!  There are tire repair shops at every "wide spot" in Baja - but of course I got my flat (pinched tube) 75 mi away from the nearest one. Not sure about the puncture seal. I dont figure it can hurt, given the tires will be run out in a month & changed anyway. I imagine the stuff works pretty well, except for big slices or tears. I was "eating weed", not smoking it...i think thats legal here on the 'left coast'. TTFN

Nimrod11

Here's a simple sketch of the trip.
----------
Tiger 2004

jphish

Cuzco!! What a great trip! Love that town! Hotel Rumi Punku (Choquechaca 339 - Tel 084-236957) is a wonderfull spot to stay, if you're looking for lodging. I think it even has a locked courtyard in back for Tigers - you might inquire. Also has free cocoa leaves for "altitude acclimation tea" in the dining room - talk about hospitality!  How many of you are going ? Or is this solo ?  Hell... I'm even getting excited...Back to the weeds.

Nimrod11

Quote from: "jphish"Back to the weeds.

Coke?!?! Weeds?!?! Man, you've got a problem...    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

3 of us going. I guess my friends on beemers will have to leave their bikes in the road, while I park the Tiger indoors.

Thanks for the tips on tires. Great useful experience from your beemer friends (don't worry, we all have them).
----------
Tiger 2004

jphish

I know...my riding partner has 2! Beemers - I just stay far enough behind or ahead, so that people dont think were together.  8)  He's actually got about 50K pretty flawless miles on his 12GS. Unless of course one considers my Uly being blown over in 60mph winds, and taking out his FI connectors, as a "breakdown". We were wisely parked at the time. (so unlike us) The 'drugs' are helpful in the Andes - as you know, those places got some altitude!! A real adjustment for us sea level folks - though your entry will be more gradual.  Someone mentioned 'Horizons unlimited' who run an adventure M/C business, and pretty helpfull to wandering 2 wheelers who have problems. Might keep their # handy - doing so will insure your trouble free experience. I'm off the 'weeds' now - all cut down to size. Did have a cup of coco this morning though. Chow' j

jphish

Oh yeah - another tire option. Hiedenau K60. Apparently excellent mileage, (better than the TKCs) and good grip. Not sure about availability in your part of the world, but worth a look.

Rocinante

Quote from: "Nimrod11"Here's a simple sketch of the trip.

That itinerary looks great. I would love to go back there. It´s been ten years.

I see you´re going to cross our path in La Paz, Puno and Cuzco.

Cuzco is full of tourists, but not in an Italian tourist city kind of way - read a lot less crowdy - and nevertheless one of the most interesting places we saw on the whole trip. Enjoy and be sure to visit Macchu Picchu. I think it´s illegal not to...
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Rocinante"Enjoy and be sure to visit Macchu Picchu. I think it´s illegal not to...

Will do.

Currently considering doing the trip the other way round - Up to Rio Branco first, across to Cuzco (and Macchu Picchu, of course), then down to Bolivia and back through Sta. Cruz. It wouldmean we hit the Amazon 3 weeks earlier, less rain. Also, we could ship our bikes there first and save 5 days to enjoy in more exotic locations. Mato Grosso state in Brazil has some magnificent places, but it's just not as exotic...

Just pondering for now... :roll:
----------
Tiger 2004

jphish

Pondering & mulling in advance is good... before ya throw your leg over and grab the handles. BTW - Hiedenau's are reportedly a good tire but difficult to find in N America at times - perhaps more available in the southern hemisphere ?

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Rocinante"I would love to go back there. It´s been ten years.

Rocinante,

Would be great to see some pictures and some details about your experience. I presume you went down the Panamericana? How far did you go?

20 years ago I went from São Paulo to Ushuaia and all the way up the Panamericana till San Pedro de Atacama. Not on a motorcycle though - I was ignorant then!  :D
----------
Tiger 2004

Rocinante

Quote from: "Nimrod11"
Quote from: "Rocinante"I would love to go back there. It´s been ten years.

Rocinante,

Would be great to see some pictures and some details about your experience. I presume you went down the Panamericana? How far did you go?

20 years ago I went from São Paulo to Ushuaia and all the way up the Panamericana till San Pedro de Atacama. Not on a motorcycle though - I was ignorant then!  :D

Here you go:
http://www.rocinantestravels.com/pan-am ... part16.htm

We(my wife riding pillion) went as far as you can go to Ushuaia from New York, then back up a bit before ending the journey in Buenos Aires, all in all 60 Kkm in one year.
www.dagjen.no

Nimrod11

Just thought I would give everyone a little taste of the trip! Not my pictures (yet), just fished them on Google Maps.

Pantanal, wetlands in western Brazil

Between Brazil and Sta Cruz de la Sierra

Going up to Posoti

Near Potosi

Uyuni Salt Flats

Going North from Uyuni

La Paz - highest capital in the world - 4000m (13100 ft) !  :shock:

Nor Yungas Death Road to Coroico

Lake Titicaca & Tiwanaku

Macchu Picchu

Puerto Maldonado, in the Amazon

Iñapari, on the border between Brazil and Peru
----------
Tiger 2004

Nimrod11

Quote from: "Rocinante"Here you go:

I will read it with great interrest! Thanks for posting.

Your "lower triangle" is a lot like the trip I took in 93. São Paulo - Ushuaia - San Pedro - Iguaçu - São Paulo. From Buenos Aires down, back then, there was no asphalt. "Ripio" all the way. Not sure about when you did it. Now you can even go on a Harley.  :lol:
----------
Tiger 2004

Rocinante

Quote from: "Nimrod11"
Quote from: "Rocinante"Here you go:

I will read it with great interrest! Thanks for posting.

Your "lower triangle" is a lot like the trip I took in 93. São Paulo - Ushuaia - San Pedro - Iguaçu - São Paulo. From Buenos Aires down, back then, there was no asphalt. "Ripio" all the way. Not sure about when you did it. Now you can even go on a Harley.  :lol:

Oh absolutely. No gravel on the coastal route, but you still have the Ruta 40 in the middle. At least it was purely gravel 10 years ago.
www.dagjen.no

Nimrod11

Rocinante, great trip log. Enjoyed reading it. However, I must say I am afraid, very afraid...

Sure your trip was waaaay longer than mine, but the problems you had scare me. I simply don't have the time for that kind of problem.

Any specific tips on what I can do?
----------
Tiger 2004