News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

undoin seized stuff

Started by rybes, August 16, 2010, 04:41:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

afternoon  has anyone got a garunteed way of removoin seized up stuff ? im tryin to undo the spring collar on me tiger shock. thing is its proper seized on. ive soaked it in wd40 for a week, no joy i used 2 foot long stillsons and a breaker bar makin it over 4 foot, no joy. i did think heat but as its steel over ally n ally expands faster than steel i see it causin me more probs. anyone got any ideas cos ive run mine out.

reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

coachgeo

1.  WD40 is a waste of time in seized stuff.   PB Blaster or other products purposfully made for siezed items is far better.
2. HEAT.  Hand held torch to heat it up good often helps.

Would think that this scenario is often entered into by somewhat novice folk that there will be plenty of general info on the Net about it.  Try searching internet for "seized bolt removal".  Might get you alot of info.
COACH POSER (Till Tribota Tiger's done & I'm riding it)

JTT

Acetone and ATF (automatic transmission fluid) mixed at 50/50.  Without a doubt the BEST seized bolt remover I've every used.  There was actually a scientific test conducted comparing it to many popular commercial products and "the mix" was shown significantly better.  Cheap, so no harm in trying.  Then heat...although I'd avoid a torch, if possible a heat gun is a much safer solution that works just as well in most cases.
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C

rybes

cheers for your replys :D its not a bolt i want to remove. ive got all those out. its the big round preload adjuster. the bit you turn with a c spanner.  i wasnt sure if there was a big socket lookin thingy availible to do the job with. im off out in the garage to have a try at movin it today. ill let ya know how i get on :wink:

rf9rider

Mr Rybes, You realise there are two nuts there not just the one?
They are locked together, so you might be trying to undo both at the same time?
A hammer and drift usually does the job.  :)

rybes

yeah i got one off Mr Rf its just the last one i cant get off. its now in the freezer gunna see if i can shrink the ally enuff it breaks the corrosion. heat dint seem t work.

rybes

managed to get it off. heated it up n hit it a few times nuffin happend. froze n heated it up quick n nuffin happened. hit it nuffin happened. so i thought i wonder. put it on its end and in the top of the threads around the nut thing i put some cuttin fluid. heated up the nut thing from underneath till the oil boild n hey presto it disapered. after a few times is made its way thro  jus a shame it ripped up the threads on the way off. still never mind got the chance to try a trick id been waitin years t try. put some fine grindin paste all over the threads on the shock and ion the nut thing and wound it all the way t the bottom then off again. cleaned off the grindin paste an daa daaaah it works how it should  :wink:

rf9rider

Glad to hear its sorted.  :)

Bixxer Bob

The grinding paste on threads trick we used in the machine tool trade for years.  But it needs extreme care because did you know just how badly it can go wrong?  It only takes one grain of paste to pick up, roll up a bit of metal and you have a snowball effect.  Whichever way you turn it, back or forth, the ball just gets bigger until it's jammed tight.  Same happens if you get a bit of swarf left in a new thread. Only solution is then to machine either the male or female away, depending on which is easiest, and replace it.

Sometimes ignorance is bliss eh?  :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

rybes

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"But it needs extreme care because did you know just how badly it can go wrong?  :lol:

err no, luckily it never :D phew :lol: