News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil in the air box

Started by haroldo_psf, September 01, 2010, 07:37:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

I just recently got my 2000 855i with 50K on the odo. It had just came back from a 3000 miles of dirt and river crossings...It has been down 4 times in this 3 weeks period, and also has been submerged under water.

It runs great. Everything seems fine, except with the idling issue where it dies if I pull the clutch before closing the throttle while riding (probably because IACV is sticking and lagging). IACV on order...

Anyway, I removed the airbox last night, and sure enough, check out the picture of the air filter...That was obviously oil on that side. Also, on the right most intake, when I opened the thottle,  I could see a very thin film of oil braking seal between the thottle valve and the intake wall...

The bike has been running really nicelly. My question is... For hydrolock failure due to oil in the cylinder...If something catastrophic were to happen, would it be immediatelly after getting oil in the cylinder, or can it run great for a couple of months and then seize?

Am I in for a nasty surprise, or am I OK since it's been about 500 miles since it happened?

See pics of the old air filter
2000 Tiger 885i

LTB

Hydrolock is immediate.
By now it should have burnt all the oil in the cylinders.
Hydrolock occurs when there is more fluid in a cylinder, than there is space during the compression stroke.
Or just about, as the air has to go somewhere also.
/Thomas

Triumph Tiger 955i -01 Roulette Green

"There\'s no off position on the genious switch"

EvilBetty

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,53241

Your seal has worn out and is sucking oil from the stator cover, into the air box.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Do-it

I agree.
I also had problem with the seal.
Oil was even clogging the hose that is connected to the cpu resulting in high fuel consumpting --> check that hose as well...
Tiger 955i 2005

haroldo_psf

That's the thing...I'm not convinced this is about that seal. The bike has been dropped manu times in the past couple of months. It has been sideways. I asked the previous owner if he remembered if the engine ran for a while in the horizontal position, but he didn't really know. That air filter indicates, with that straight line separating dirt and clean, that there was an oil spill in the air box, not a sepping. Also, when I had the air box removed, only the right side intake was oily (same side as the air filter stain), and the middle and left ones were dry, clean.

I will replace this seal you guys are talking about soon, but I'm not convinced it's actually leaking. What do you guys think, given this description?
2000 Tiger 885i