News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

O2 sensor or connector location on 855i

Started by haroldo_psf, September 08, 2010, 06:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Hi all,

I have a Dynojet O2 eliminator coming in the mail tomorrow. I looked over the bike last night, and could not find the sensor on the exhaust. Where would it most likely be located? On the exhaust header close to the cylinder heads? Mid pipe? Muffler?

Or, if one can pin point the location of the connector, that would be even better. Anyway, I don't have the service manual yet (Triumph sent me the 955i by mistake, and I had to return it). Thanks in advance.
2000 Tiger 885i

Timbox2

The sensor should be in the top of the pipe just before the collector box
2016 Tiger Sport

klingklang

hummmm.  I'm sorry to tell you that but your 885i (not 855 like on your signature unless you lost some cc here and ther.) have no 02 sensor. Only the german version have one. Then it would have been in the botton collector.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "klingklang"hummmm.  I'm sorry to tell you that but your 885i (not 855 like on your signature unless you lost some cc here and ther.) have no 02 sensor. Only the german version have one. Then it would have been in the botton collector.

Thank you very much. You just saved me a lot of researching and a trip to the dealer, wihch i was about to go on.

I just located a hex bolt plug on the exhaust, so it's where the sensor would be, if my model had one. I see.

Also, I just realized it was an 885! Holy crap! Where did I read 855i? I was about to ask if the TuneECU site was in error when it referenced 885i.

On a separate note, I found these two not used connectors. Can someone please shed some light on what they might be? I attached  a close up picture of the two connectors, and a view from further away to give a better location perspective on the bike. One seems to be a 2 pins, the other a 6 pins.
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

H,  I think the brown plug is one that is questioned quite often on here and is unused; consensus is it's to do witht he Californian purge system. If you can give us the colours of the wires going into them maybe we can help.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"H,  I think the brown plug is one that is questioned quite often on here and is unused; consensus is it's to do witht he Californian purge system. If you can give us the colours of the wires going into them maybe we can help.

Thanks Bob.

The two wires gray connector has these wire colors:

-Yellow with red stripe
- Brown with white stripe

The other connector is a four wire (not six as I initially thought). The wire colors are:

- Brown with white stripe
- grey
- white
- black

thanks, I greatly appreciate the help. .
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

The red/yellow brown/white is the Californian purge valve which the rest of the world doesn't have so just tape it out of the way and forget it.

The other plug is for the O2 sensor, which should be in the exhaust header pipe just where it curls under the engine - if you have one.  If you have and it's not connected you should have the MIL light on on the dashboard warning you of a malfunction.  Assuming you haven't then this plug does nothing either - although this is where you would have plugged in your O2 sensor when it arrives.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"The red/yellow brown/white is the Californian purge valve which the rest of the world doesn't have so just tape it out of the way and forget it.

The other plug is for the O2 sensor, which should be in the exhaust header pipe just where it curls under the engine - if you have one.  If you have and it's not connected you should have the MIL light on on the dashboard warning you of a malfunction.  Assuming you haven't then this plug does nothing either - although this is where you would have plugged in your O2 sensor when it arrives.

This is getting interesting. So, my bike was purchased in Mountain View, CA (Cal Moto BWM Triumph is the dealer name). I would assume since it was uncrated and sold in California, it must be a CA model, no?

It is interesting about that other plug, for the O2 sensor, which, according to you guys, only the german 885i model has, not me. My guess is that Triumph uses the same harness for all models (with and without the O2 sensor), so that would explain the unused connector. I will plug in the O2 eliminator anyway to see what happens, since I already bought it, and it would cost more to return it than its value.
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

According to my manual, the 885i (all models) has an O2 sensor; or at least the wiring for one.  Strange that you have a california model but no purge valve (or did someone junk it)?

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"According to my manual, the 885i (all models) has an O2 sensor; or at least the wiring for one.  Strange that you have a california model but no purge valve (or did someone junk it)?

Thanks for looking it up, Bob. I don't know what to think then. I don't have the manual yet, and I was going by what Kling Klang (sp?) said in the earlier post, about me not having an O2 sensor, and I believed it because I don't know any better.

I found this on the pipe. I have two pictures to give perspective of location on the bike. Is this the plug where the sensor woud have been, if I had one?
2000 Tiger 885i

Chris Canning

My two peneeth for what it is worth,i had two 885i's changed the square collector to a straight through pipe on both and there was no lamber sensor on either the collector or the accessory pipe,and if you look at this,take no notice the add is wrong it's off an 885 not a 955,there isn't one on this either.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/triumph-tiger-955 ... 41525f72fb

But for the life of me can't remember if there was one on the headers,and of course as yours is an American spec anything is possible.

walker

my 2000 model has that unused O2 sensor plug, but the exhaust never had a bung to be able to insert an O2 sensor.

I think bixxer bob is correct, they all have the wire harness plug.

Bixxer Bob

It seems the manual is right that all models have the wiring, but why put a plug in a loom for something you haven't designed yet?  Seems odd..  :roll:

The pipes on your 855i seem to be from a Steamer, the sensor on the955i is a lot further forward, on the right-hand downpipe.  Nevertheless, the blanking plug is where you'd expect the sensor.

Have Triumph ever heard of configuration control I wonder???

If we built aircraft like they build bikes, there's be great smoking holes all over the place...

Chris Canning

Folks forget,the 885i was built over 10 years ago,Triumph were still feeling their feet.

Bixxer Bob

Fair point... :roll:

Maybe it went something like this:

1.  We'll build a new Tiger with FI.
2.  Design is complete, including wiring loom.
3.  Discover Sagem FI is rubbish aka the TT600.
4.  Bin the O2 sensor and simplify the injector control until the bugs are sorted.
5.  Introduce full FI system with new 955i engine.....