News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Thinking a Valve and seat Job needed?

Started by ramseybella, September 17, 2010, 08:05:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

OK,
Once again after 5000 + miles since my last intake valve adjustment my Tiger intake has ZERO Valve clearance bike has 42000 on it 32 when I got it last fall does not burn oil or smoke but won't start up when cold!!

This won't even fit!!

Seems a little extreme so what gives and who in the south west can install new valves seats and guides after I pull the head and is it worth it?
 I hate to say goodbye because I am so in love with it but still wan't to ride, I am so desperate to the point of checking this Kawasaki out this weekend>> http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/1954706873.html

But a 31.1" seat height and me at 6'3" 300+ lbs I am thinking I will be a screwed Polar Bear on a moped + I would not be on this great forum any more
.. :cry:

Rocinante

Is it a 98?

Been where you are and decided to find - and found - a used head on ebay. Buy anything not from a 98 (last time I checked there was a head from 98 for sale. Don´t buy it, the problem seem to occur in that year).

The head cost me about 250 USD plus shipping and plus gaskets, not bad considering that redoing the valve seats and replacing the valves would set me back at least 6-700 USD in Norway. Even with shipping from the States it was a bargain.

Don´t give up, it´s too much of a bike...:)

Dag
www.dagjen.no
Once upon a time through North and South America:
www.rocinantestravels.com

ramseybella

Yep 98!!
I was thinking on getting a 2010 Tiger but $10.800 floor model way to much for me at this point.

Rocinante

The problem is related to the seats which are too hard and wear down the valves faster than the other year Tigers.

I´m pretty sure replacing the head with a used one is your best option.

Good luck keeping the Steamer alive!
www.dagjen.no

ramseybella

Quote from: "Rocinante"The problem is related to the seats which are too hard and wear down the valves faster than the other year Tigers.

I´m pretty sure replacing the head with a used one is your best option.

Good luck keeping the Steamer alive!

So getting new valves and seating them would also work BUT?
I was reading on the forum one of the members did this and his valves went south fast after installing them. So this does not sound good sort of like six in one hand half dozen in the other? :roll:

Rocinante

Yes that would work.

But you could easily pay more than you would for a used head and in the end you´re still stuck with the same old and hard valve seats.
www.dagjen.no

JetdocX

Been through this.  New valves will do the same thing in lessthan 6000.  Best bet is a used head.  I couldn't find one so I called Andy at Metric Motors in Houston.  He has some fancy machinery.  It's all in my thread on this subject.  Been riding on my new valves and seats for over 20000 miles and no problems so far.
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Quote from: "JetdocX"Been through this.  New valves will do the same thing in lessthan 6000.  Best bet is a used head.  I couldn't find one so I called Andy at Metric Motors in Houston.  He has some fancy machinery.  It's all in my thread on this subject.  Been riding on my new valves and seats for over 20000 miles and no problems so far.

You have a link just put it up on Craigs list today $1700 OBO, Started up this afternoon as it has been sitting in the sun all day, Damn sounded great wanted to cry my wife told me to take it out for a rid my reply was NO!.

Went and took a test ride on a 2009 Tiger today not the same, clanky trans handled good smooth ride..
Took a Ducati Mutistrada 1100 out as well my thoughts "I will Die on this bike or get ripped off the seat", Friggen Fast beast turns itself in the twisties like nothing I have been on, pipes bark well on down shift!

ramseybella

Well sombody came to look at it but would not start untill about a half hour later after they left it started, I took it for about 165 mile round trip and ran like a champ no issue!!

Man I hate to get rid of her just been looking for a head nothing, what other heads fit?

Can the seats be refitted with softer ones? Also thinking finding other parts is a major deal as well, water pumps and such thinking about the chain reaction rule.

Been thinking about that 1050 2009 floor model $10.800 (Big Bubba Bucks) felt like I was riding a big clanky coffee grinder.

Itching to know what the price of the Tiger Cub 800 will be.

Yes I am in a panic folks, been bit by the Tiger!! :shock:

Mustang

Mustang

JetdocX

Your cylinder head is repairable.  It's just expensive.  But way less expensive than a new bike.

Call Andy.  
http://www.metricmotorcycles.com/HeadWork.asp

Trying to sell a bike is hard.  Trying to sell a bike that won't start is next to impossible.  Just fix it and ride the crap out of it.
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Lined up that new head and case, Thanks Mustang Head only $200 + $23.00 shipping.

ramseybella

Do you have to drop the motor to pull the head or pull off everything around it?
I have an open front porch to do the work no indoor shop winter is on its way.. :roll:
Also if a head is new do the seats need to be cut or can you just lap the valves in the seats?

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella"Do you have to drop the motor to pull the head or pull off everything around it?
I have an open front porch to do the work no indoor shop winter is on its way.. :roll:

The triumph bible says you can do it in the frame .............I do it motor out on a bench in a heated garage it's easier

QuoteAlso if a head is new do the seats need to be cut or can you just lap the valves in the seats?

the bible says to lap the new valves in with a small amount of grinding compound