News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Is She on her last Legs??

Started by Bear900, September 20, 2010, 01:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bear900

Hello All,

I need to consult the brains trust.

I have had my 02 tiger for about 6 months now. It was high k's when i bought it and since I have owned it it has ticked past 100,000kms. Basically it was cheap and was the only way I was going to get on a Tiger on the existing budget.

Basically I figured I would run her until the existing motor lunched itself and then source a decent second hand powerplant when the time came.
The motor starts and runs like a watch. It pulls nicely through the gears and really doesnt blow any smoke . What she does do is chug or shudder when under load in the mid range. Once she is past 4grand or so it is not an issue and accelerating in 6th whilst on the motorway is not a problem. It just doesnt like pulling from down low when under load and a definate shudder is felt and it just does not feel happy until I change down. My old 2002 Speed Triple never had this problem. As you know that mid range is why we love our triple motors.

Now to the question behind this rant. Is this normal on a Tiger? I have assumed the motor was getting tired and just kept the revs a bit higher to keep her happy. I know the Tiger motor has a bit less power than Speedy's and is pulling more weight. I am just confused as the motor seems faultless everywhere else and the top end is great where you would think a tired motor would suffer under high revs. Could it just be a fuelling issue? It has the stock can but it has a fairly fruity note leading me to believe another owner either drilled it out or the packing is ruined after 100,000 km of running. Could it just be lean due to the can being more free flowing without an altered map? Or am I just expecting to much performance wise from the old girl?

Any input would be much appreciated. Sorry for the marathon post.

iansoady

Certainly worth considering the map as even as standard some EFI Tigers judder / hesitate at lowish (say 3-4K) revs. If your exhaust has been played with I suspect it'll be difficult to get the map right without access to a dyno. In any case you'll need either Tuneboy (£200+) or TuneECU (free download) to change it - however, there won't be any maps off the shelf to suit. Could be worth starting with the standard off-road tune and see how that works, as people have had success with that even on standard silencer.

Also well worth checking the usual suspects - worn out chain / sprockets (incidentally, Tigers like very slack chains - up to 50mm or so on the stand). The valve clearances may also be off spec although I've never heard of that giving a shuddering / vibration.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

CoolHandLuke

Hi,

Sounds like an issue I had on my steamer.  The steamer has two air chambers that connect to the air box/air filter.  Usually, one side is blocked.  I opened up both sides and the engine would behave badly around 5K RPM.  I took it to my local Triumph shop where the mechanic quickly diagnosed the problem and told me what a plonker I was.  (Since then, I have fitted sprint carbs and he then told me it was running wrong and should open up both sides.  I hate know-it-alls :p)

Basically, I think I am saying, that there is nothing wrong with the engine.  It just needs someone with a bit more knowledge than myself to have a look at it for you  :D

(maybe changing the air filter would be enough to fix the problem)

EvilBetty

Yeah that could really be anything from a bad map, vacuum leak, fuel problem, to bad rings.

Really sounds like my 1982 Mazda GLC when I'd try to go up hill!  :shock:
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

Chris Canning

Quote from: "iansoady"Certainly worth considering the map as even as standard some EFI Tigers judder / hesitate at lowish (say 3-4K) revs. If your exhaust has been played with I suspect it'll be difficult to get the map right without access to a dyno. In any case you'll need either Tuneboy (£200+) or TuneECU (free download) to change it - however, there won't be any maps off the shelf to suit. Could be worth starting with the standard off-road tune and see how that works, as people have had success with that even on standard silencer.

Also well worth checking the usual suspects - worn out chain / sprockets (incidentally, Tigers like very slack chains - up to 50mm or so on the stand). The valve clearances may also be off spec although I've never heard of that giving a shuddering / vibration.

Ditto,i'd just get the latest map put in at a dealer before you do anything else.

matts23

I second checking the chain tension.  I think when it is off, at low rpm, you get some vibration through the bike that goes away as the rpms rise
----------------------------------------------------------

2002 Tiger (Roulette Green)
1996 Honda XR400R Supermoto St. Legal

Bear900

Thanks for the replys and suggestions.

The chain tension is ok. I had checked that.

It is definately an engine issue.

Basically the altered stock can may not react that well to the Truimph TOR program as it will flow differently. I might invest in a cable and put the TOR tune on myself using TuneECU . I had sucess with Tuneboy on my old Rocket and I work in IT so I should be able to work my way through it.

If there is no change at all I can assume it is an engine issue and just ride her till she dies. It is not a major problem at the moment. I just change down and away she goes.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/006-TRIUMPH-BIKE ... 4aa482febe

Is this the lead I need for tuneECU? It looks similar to the Tuneboy lead and the ecu plug shape looks right.

Thanks again

fbarbas

That looks like the right cable alright.
Triumph Tiger 955i 2001 8-)
Honda Shadow 750 1983 SOLD 8-(

Bear900

Quote from: "fbarbas"That looks like the right cable alright.

Thankyou sir.

chairhead

Quote from: "Bear900"What she does do is chug or shudder when under load in the mid range. Once she is past 4grand or so it is not an issue and accelerating in 6th whilst on the motorway is not a problem. It just doesnt like pulling from down low when under load and a definate shudder is felt and it just does not feel happy until I change down.

Bear ,
mine does this as well and its only done 20k(miles),
i put it down to being in the wrong gear at the wrong speed,
basically the Tiger engine likes to be revved,im not used to
A=three cylinders
B=6 gears
and this will sometimes catch me out,like yours it pulls clean through all the gears no problem,and goes like stink but im used to short shifting on my Bandit 12 which because it has 4 cylinders and a bit more grunt can handle it,
i wouldent worry about it too much,just rev it a bit more :D
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

Bear900

Thanks for the feedback chairhead.

As I said I just want to confirm if this is standard operation and I am expecting to much of the bike or if there is an engine or fuel issue.

More investigation is called for.

I just had a thought that I should have a look and see what tooth sprockets its running!

Thanks again

iansoady

Quote from: "chairhead"Bear ,
mine does this as well and its only done 20k(miles),
i put it down to being in the wrong gear at the wrong speed,
basically the Tiger engine likes to be revved,im not used to
A=three cylinders
B=6 gears

Well.....

Mine (18,000 miles) pulls like a train from 3,000 and is perfectly useable from 2,000 upwards. In fact I reckon it could get away with a 3 speed box.

IMO it has 6 gears because

a) all the other triples do and it's easier to keep them the same
b) fashion.

What would be nice would be a lower 1st gear for those folk that insist on getting their bikes muddy, and a higher 6th for more relaxed cruising.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

ChazzyB

FWIW, my 2003 Tiger does this if I lug it in too lower a gear. I reckon it's something to do with the cush drive... I back off the throttle or change down (usually the latter).

The 1999 Speed Triple 955i  I had until recently felt like a nasty bag of spanners doing the same thing and suddenly went smooth as silk when 5K revs were reached.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

chairhead

Quote from: "iansoady"IMO it has 6 gears because

a) all the other triples do and it's easier to keep them the same

Agreed

Quoteb) fashion
What !!:roll:
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel

chairhead

Quote from: "ChazzyB"FWIW, my 2003 Tiger does this if I lug it in too lower a gear. I reckon it's something to do with the cush drive... I back off the throttle or change down (usually the latter).

The 1999 Speed Triple 955i  I had until recently felt like a nasty bag of spanners doing the same thing and suddenly went smooth as silk when 5K revs were reached.

Bingo :D
TOR can
Taylormade Billet wheel