News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Servicing "Older" Bikes

Started by Nick Calne, September 20, 2010, 05:16:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Calne

I just phoned Fowler's in Bristol to ask about servicing the steamer (1998) and they said they do not service bikes that old and 'good luck' in finding a main dealer that does!

In effect they said f*ck off, in the most polite and pleasant way possible.

Is this right? Surely not?

I have had my fill of dodgy backstreet workshop guys after the over tightened bolts / broken swingarm incident earlier in the year.  I wanted someone competent to check the thing over, for safety.  I'm not a mug with a spanner but not a profession either and well, y'know, it's gotta be safe with the missus on board.

Is there an independent triumph dealer in the south west that can be trusted?

Or is it down to me now (with advice and guidance from Mr Haynes and you guys of course).......?

....It's valves time btw......parp!  :shock:
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

most dealers here in the US won't touch a bike thats 10 years old ......doesn't matter whether it's a Honda or a triumph or any other brand

10 years old you are on your own !
They want you to buy a new bike  :shock:

CoolHandLuke

Quote from: "nickcalne"I just phoned Fowler's in Bristol to ask about servicing the steamer (1998) and they said they do not service bikes that old and 'good luck' in finding a main dealer that does!

I have had my fill of dodgy backstreet workshop guys after the over tightened bolts / broken swingarm incident earlier in the year.  I wanted someone competent to check the thing over, for safety.  I'm not a mug with a spanner but not a profession either and well, y'know, it's gotta be safe with the missus on board.

Or is it down to me now (with advice and guidance from Mr Haynes and you guys of course).......?

I am happy to lend a hand where possible.  Sounds like a nice day out :)

On the other hand, I know it's a long way for you, but I know for definite that Bulldog Twyford will look at it and will do a very good job.  Their mechanic has been working on Triumphs for around 20 years, flitting between JL & BT and he knows these old engines like the back of his hand.

I would invest in some stainless bolts for the casings, if you haven't or the bike hasn't got them already.  You can get kits off ebay for about £15.00.  I would also recommend getting some stainless bolts of varying sizes to replace any you take out.  A bit of copper grease on the threads and you won't have any trouble working on the bike in future they also tidy the bike up.  If you have the old style fairing bolts, with a very small hex head, you should replace those too as they invariably round off.

EvilBetty

Wow that's crap to me.  

If I took my 15 year old Toyota to the dealership and they told me to F-Off, it's too old.  It would be the last Toyota I ever owned.
There\'s no place like 127.0.0.1

2007 1050 Tiger, Jet Black
SOLD - 2005 955i Tiger, Lucifer Orange - SOLD

flaco

GT Motorcycles (just been taken over by George White) in St. Austell here in Cornwall- that's in the real south-west, my 'andsome-have a good Triumph mechanic. There's also a branch in Plymouth, and I believe they're pretty good too. Bit of a long trip, though, Nick. Worth it, though- gotta look after the new missus. Good luck with your quest.
kernow bys vyken

NeilD

is it worth asking Sprint if they know of anyone, as they're quite local to you? I've not used my 'local' dealer yet but they didnt seem phased when I asked them about getting them to do the valves on my T/Bird Sport..

Chris Canning

Quote from: "nickcalne"I just phoned Fowler's in Bristol to ask about servicing the steamer (1998) and they said they do not service bikes that old and 'good luck' in finding a main dealer that does!

Do some home work,probably one of the best Triumph dealers in the country is now an independent(Windy Corner) and i'm sure there are others that have had the brush off.

JetdocX

Typical of most of the short-sighted idiots who own MC dealerships for a short period until they don't anymore.

Imagine walking away from all that money.  Fucking twats deserve to go broke.  

The quality dealerships are not feeling anywhere near the pinch that the idiots are these days.  Why?  Service.  Simple.  Not only have they lost your future business, but several others here now.

This kind of "business" pisses me off. :evil:
From parts unknown.

aeronca

:iagree  i've had pretty good luck with dealer's out here, but if that place is stupid enough to pass up your money, then piss on him!!!  im just amazed that they would say that to you.
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

hobie

I have my 98 steamer in the shop now for steering head bearings.  The dealer (Sturgess Cycle) has been in business since 1910 so I guess they know better than to drive away business.  

They do charge C$100 per hour, though.
Hobie

Black \'98 Steamer.
It\'s not ugly, it\'s uglificent.

Spud

Theres a good team up here in the West Mids, Black country Motorcycles, a mate works there and I could ask him if he could do it at home (his) for you, he's excellent with spanners hope this helps cheers Spud :wink:

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Spud"Theres a good team up here in the West Mids, Black country Motorcycles, a mate works there and I could ask him if he could do it at home (his) for you, he's excellent with spanners hope this helps cheers Spud :wink:

Just goes to show,i took my 955 there when they were a Triumph dealer and refused to service it as it wasn't stock,hardly suprising they lost the franchise.

oxnsox

Any of you Blokes tried calling 'the factory' to see what official line they give....
Would be interested to hear what they say.
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Timbox2

My experience with Fowlers is that they have a very good parts stock, but little else, they passed on a possible £4k from me on a S/H Tiger as they wouldnt let me have a test ride, up to them I suppose but I went South and got 3 Test Rides back to back and strangely bought from them instead.

They're Triumph parts bloke didnt know what an IACV valve was, I had to find it on the microfiche for him :?
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

Quote from: "oxnsox"Any of you Blokes tried calling 'the factory' to see what official line they give....
Would be interested to hear what they say.

Could someone record the conversation if they do!!,they wouldn't tell you what day of the week it is,never mind make a comment on anything.