News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rear wheel bearings

Started by WVdyhrd, September 26, 2010, 02:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVdyhrd

Changing out my bearings this week. Have never done it, or even seen them, before. Working off the service manual. Any tips, how to's, etc would be amazingly appreciated
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

malc

A decent bar & a big hammer to get them out & something the same OD as the bearing to push or very carefully tap them back in
The bearings you require are
2 6204 & 1 6205 for the sprocket carrier sealed bearings much cheaper from local bearing supplier than triumph genuine they are exactly the same
its grrreaaattttttttt

WVdyhrd

thanks malc...what is OD?

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

iansoady

Outside diameter  :D

If you get the bearings from a bearing shop make sure they're the sealed type - usually suffixed 2RS (2 Rubber Seals).
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

WVdyhrd

thx im gonna remove them tonight and take the bearings and all the numbers ya'll gave me to a local shop and just say here i need these.

That said, I can type a history thesis overnight, I was a successful cop for a few years (got tired of violence) but this mechanics stuff blows my mind sometimes  :lol: I really do appreciate ya'll taking the time to answer. I'd be fu'd up or broke on maintenance without the internet.

advrider->wvdyhrd

WVdyhrd

any other input?   I'm a bit intimidated and all ears :icon_scratch  :mrgreen:

advrider->wvdyhrd

Mustang

Quote from: "WVdyhrd"any other input?   I'm a bit intimidated and all ears :icon_scratch  :mrgreen:
you are going to soon find out , grasshopper..................it aint as easy as it sounds .

Getting some space around the inner bushing and wheel bearings , doesn't give much beating room . once you get 1 of the bearings out , the job becomes much easier

now you can pound out the other bearing a lot easier .

push (you are really going to be tapping with a hammer )a new bearing up to the shoulder on either side of wheel . only push with something slightly smaller than the OD of bearing but hollow so as not to hit the inner race of the bearing .

You will probably end up using a pc of pipe to do this .

When you have the first bearing in now put the inner spacer back in , as long as you didn't beat it up getting the old bearings out .....if you buggered up the inside of the bush you need to fix it , the axle goes thru it .

If you buggered the face of the bushing you need to restore the length ( file off the burrs you made )

now if you have made it this far you are almost done press / push the second bearing in until it seats ....the inner bush should be captured and semi tight (no gaps between the bearing faces .) don't forget to put  a new seal in .

when you do the sprocket carrier it's nice to replace the outer seal also , the sprocket carrier bearing pushes out ( beat it with bar and hammer   :ImaPoser  )

dont forget the spacer between the wheel and the sprocket carrier .

if you didn't damage the new bearings installing them you will be good to go ......however if you damaged the bearings on installation you are going to find out soon enough ....they won't last long .

If this sounds like it is over your mechanical ability's take it to your dealer and let them do it . you can bring them just the wheel and carrier , and leave the bike at home .

WVdyhrd

thx mustang. I'm gonna try it, just because I want to learn. And I'll prob have que once I dive in.

If I feel utterly lost I'll stop and take it in

Would be awesome if the shop would let me watch them do it, i'm a visual learner, but they tend to see that as bad for business I think.

advrider->wvdyhrd

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "WVdyhrd"any other input?   I'm a bit intimidated and all ears :icon_scratch  :mrgreen:
you are going to soon find out , grasshopper..................it aint as easy as it sounds .

Getting some space around the inner bushing and wheel bearings , doesn't give much beating room . once you get 1 of the bearings out , the job becomes much easier

now you can pound out the other bearing a lot easier .

push (you are really going to be tapping with a hammer )a new bearing up to the shoulder on either side of wheel . only push with something slightly smaller than the OD of bearing but hollow so as not to hit the inner race of the bearing .

You will probably end up using a pc of pipe to do this .

When you have the first bearing in now put the inner spacer back in , as long as you didn't beat it up getting the old bearings out .....if you buggered up the inside of the bush you need to fix it , the axle goes thru it .

If you buggered the face of the bushing you need to restore the length ( file off the burrs you made )

now if you have made it this far you are almost done press / push the second bearing in until it seats ....the inner bush should be captured and semi tight (no gaps between the bearing faces .) don't forget to put  a new seal in .

when you do the sprocket carrier it's nice to replace the outer seal also , the sprocket carrier bearing pushes out ( beat it with bar and hammer   :ImaPoser  )

dont forget the spacer between the wheel and the sprocket carrier .

if you didn't damage the new bearings installing them you will be good to go ......however if you damaged the bearings on installation you are going to find out soon enough ....they won't last long .

If this sounds like it is over your mechanical ability's take it to your dealer and let them do it . you can bring them just the wheel and carrier , and leave the bike at home .
Can you give me some more tips on getting the space between the bushing's and the bearing's? My old ones have completely blown on one side and I have the three required completely sealed new bearing's. Any tips still appreciated, my schedule got hectic so this task got pushed to tonight, have wheel off, getting ready to try to remove the old.

Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you Thank you

advrider->wvdyhrd

Bixxer Bob

Never done my Tiger but the Blackbird has the same issues Mustang talks about here.  One tip I can offer is to have a long "L" lever so you can push the spacer tube out of alignment (put it in the axle hole and push against the inside of the spacer tube to push it to one side).  This gives you just a little more room to get your drift onto the edge of the first bearing to remove.  Once you've got one out things get easier.... :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

WVdyhrd

sorry guys how do i remove the seal on the brake disc side????

ive pried on it with screw driver, pliers, even a skinny piece of wood and it laughs at me, i'm missing something  :oops:

advrider->wvdyhrd

malc

flat blade driver & prize it from the middle make sure its clean & may need a little easing oil
its grrreaaattttttttt

Bixxer Bob

As you tap ( :ImaPoser ) the bearing out from the other side, the seal will pop out first.....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

iansoady

My workshop manual seems to show a circlip between the bearing and the seal so that might cause grief...

Usually you can get them out with a stong flat bladed screwdriver tapped through the rubbuer part at a shallow angle (but not right through the metal sleeve) then lever against the opposite face of the housing. Difficult to describe but easy to do.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "iansoady"My workshop manual seems to show a circlip between the bearing and the seal so that might cause grief....

I wonder how long I'd have been banging and swearing before I gave in and read the manual..... :roll: