News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

rear wheel bearings

Started by WVdyhrd, September 26, 2010, 02:43:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "iansoady"My workshop manual seems to show a circlip between the bearing and the seal so that might cause grief....

I wonder how long I'd have been banging and swearing before I gave in and read the manual..... :roll:

did that, the manual says to "remove the seal and circlip"  hence why I asked how to do so :)
When all else fails, be lucky.

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

iansoady

Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

billy bee

Does the circlip retain the inner or outer race? If it only retains the inner race, I'd take an alternative approach. I have not done brgs on the Tiger, but if these are sealed (and I think they are) I don't see the value of pulling a seal. You'd still have an outer race pressed into the hub.

I am guessing that it's going to be a simpler operation to take the entire brg (inner race, outer race, and seals) in one step. With that in mind, I'd probably heat up the hub with a heat gun, move the the axle spacer/bushing into an offset position, and tap the brg out from the opposite side using a brass drift and the busing to drive the brg out. Using heat will help the outer race release from the hub more easily. Too much heat will hurt the hub's paint/coating, however. And using a brass drift will prevent damage to the spacer/bushing.

Once one brg is out, the opposite brg will come out easily using a pipe of an appropriate diameter to drive out the outer race.

No matter what you do, it is always important to support the hub while tapping out or pressing in the brgs. A piece of 3" or 4" PVC pipe might work. Or a couple of blocks of wood would do the trick, too. You just don't want to tap on the brg without supporting the hub.

bb

WVdyhrd

Quote from: "billy bee"Does the circlip retain the inner or outer race? If it only retains the inner race, I'd take an alternative approach. I have not done brgs on the Tiger, but if these are sealed (and I think they are) I don't see the value of pulling a seal. You'd still have an outer race pressed into the hub.

bb
thanks guys.

I am still trying, the nearest shop is 3hrs. I love my Girly, but this kinda stuff (no experience and no nearby support) may effect how long I own her.

The seal is in the way of the brake side bearing, they are sealed bearing's but there is a seal and circlip in the way

http://www.bikebandit.com/2001-triumph- ... r/o/m17625

parts 5 and 8 are what I can't get out of the way

"...he proceeded, taking whatever road his horse pleased: for therin he believed, consisted the true spirit of adventure."- Don Quixote - Miguel de Cervantes

advrider->wvdyhrd

Mustang

the seal just prys out and you will need a new seal

the snap ring will need a pair of ................................well ermmmmm , oh say snap ring pliers

WVdyhrd

finally got that seal out (it took some ingenuity it did not pop right out), those bearing's failed on that side going 80 with 100mi to the house, and no truck backup, had to get home. Think i melted the seal a bit. but otherwise the innerspacer, and such looks in good repair

Thanks mustang, I'm on my way to autozone now

advrider->wvdyhrd

KuzzinKenny

Hey WVdyhrd !! while yer there, mind an get some grease ( Castrol LM grease ) or somethin similar !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

WVdyhrd

It's on the shelf already kuz :D thanks.

Very surprised I ordered a new seal from bikebandit and one from a local bearing store. And bikebandit beat it!!!! 4 buisness days flat!!!!  :shock:  :D be back on the road tomorrow.

As always guys thanks for the input!!!

I honestly, without resources like this and adv, would probably not be able to be a rider. Or I'd be a rider in serious debt to local shops! I simply don't have much mechanical experience. I can shoot an m4 with deadly accuracy but drills confuse the hell outa me haha.

There's a couple on here that should be recommended to triumph for stipends.

That said, I've wondered, has anyone in the industry noticed an impact on shop business possibly related to the massive amount of DIY info no available on the net?

advrider->wvdyhrd

yack_ass

What is the estimated life span of the bearings?
The clock is a little over 75000km and I'm almost certain they are the first set.

Ironhorse

My front bearings went south at 23k miles. And I am not sure that they are original. They are Koyo's.

Mustang

the factory bearings are koyos usually

kelpie_67

Just got to say that I just did mine following this thread and thanks guys it was a doddle!
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?