News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Small leak on Left side of bike

Started by brad21, October 01, 2010, 12:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brad21

I've developed a really small leak on the left side, somewhere around the countershaft/kickstand switch. What's the most likely culprit? Do the c/s seals go on these bikes?
\'00 XRR
\'07 200 XCW
\'01 TIGER

KuzzinKenny

Hey brad21 !! when was the last time you oiled yer chain ? it could just be whats gathered around the front sprocket cover, hopefully  :)

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Bixxer Bob

+1 on KK, eliminate that first as it's the easiest to check.  Clean everything off first with white spirit or paraffin so you can see what you're doing.  while you're on you might as well take the sprocket cover off and give behind it a good clean as well.

Now you've gotten good and dirty, next check the oil seal on the gearchange lever.  It's an easy fix if it's the culprit.  After that it's the seal on the gearbox output shaft behind the drive sprocket.  Again, it's fairly easy to do; search on here for posts on the subject.  Going by the odd one or two that have been changed, putting a self-tapping screw into the seal and pulling it out seems to be the accepted method (and saves a complete gearbox strip to knock it out from inside....).

Good luck  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

brad21

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've had this bike two weeks tomorrow. Did an oil change on Wed. and pulled off the c/s sprocket cover and MAN was there a lot of junk up in there, full of oil! I'll clean it all up this weekend and see if I can determine where the leak is. It's leaving about a quarter (US$) sized spot overnight.
\'00 XRR
\'07 200 XCW
\'01 TIGER

cosmo

Time was that I would have been overjoyed that my Triumph had ONLY left a quarter sized spot overnight.

It usually left a quarter sized spot at every stoplight!!

Cosmo
Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Blue Cat

check oil sensor , my washer was leaking so replaced it with a copper one-problem fixed.
2006 caspian blue tiger

Putts255

I too have a very small leak on the LHS.  Oil appears to be coming from the neutral sensor.   It is not a lot but a little concerning.  

I plan to pull the sensor in the spring and change the washer to a copper one.  

I was also told that some of the cases have small pin holes where the machining happened at the factory right around the neutral sensor, but as I have said I really have not done much investigation, trying to get as much riding in as possible before the snow flies....  I will work on it in the spring as I have no room in the garage to work on it during the winter months.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black