News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

New Guy Probably Picking Up A Girly Soon

Started by jwray76, October 01, 2010, 04:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwray76

Hello everyone.

So I just recently sold my 1st generation suzuki bandit and old yamaha XT350. Looking to replace them with a do it all 955i Girly here soon. Looks like this board is fairly active, which is nice because I am used to hanging out on the Suzuki board quite a bit. Kinda long story but this is the bike that I am planning on picking up for $3k or less

http://www.cycleconceptsva.com/new_vehi ... ov=1421328

aeronca

Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

TigerTrax

Orange is kinda cool.

Welcome to THE Tiger forum.

You will learn quite alot at this forum. Many long time Tiger riders; Many
who do their own work and share ideas.

PS... make certain you get the owners manual.
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

KuzzinKenny

Hey jwray76 !! Welcome to TT.com !! Lucifer Orange is the best colour for a Tigger  :thumbsup

65825ml , is no big deal for a Tiger, just check all the service records are there !!

have fun !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

jwray76

Thanks for the welcome guys... wont have all the service records which makes me a bit nervous but I never trust anybody elses work anyways. If it runs and rides well I will pick it up and just go through pretty much all maintenance this weekend. Figure that changing fluids, checking valves, bearings, etc. doesn't really cost me anything.

jwray76

Well after much looking good ole Ebay came through for me. Just won a bid for a 2002 Triumph Tiger down in FL. I really think I stole this thing considering I picked it up for $200 more than trade in KBB value with only 15k miles and it has the following upgrades:

Touring Windscreen/Stock Screen...Cee Bailys touring screen.
Touring Saddle/Stock Saddle...Corbin seat.
Hard Saddlebags...
Hard Top box...
Backpad(passenger)...mounted on Hard Topbox
Offroad Exhaust
Fuel Injection Remap
Heated Grips...factory installed
Center Stand
sliders.
Custom Paint...All Black.

Here are the pictures from Egay...

Best of all it looks like a couple of buds are going to help with delivery so that I am not stuck with paying heftty delivery fees. :D

jwray76

Maybe I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought since nobody has commented  :shock:

Anyhow I am have a friend pick the bike up for me this weekend and I had a question. He is going to be trailering it and I was wondering if regular tie straps will work with the hand guards and front plastics in place? Or do I need something special like the canyon dancers most of the sportsbike guys use? BTW there will be a wheel chock on the trailer.

Mustang

Quote from: "jwray76"Maybe I didn't get as good of a deal as I thought since nobody has commented  :shock:

Anyhow I am have a friend pick the bike up for me this weekend and I had a question. He is going to be trailering it and I was wondering if regular tie straps will work with the hand guards and front plastics in place? Or do I need something special like the canyon dancers most of the sportsbike guys use? BTW there will be a wheel chock on the trailer.

any straps hooked to the handlebars is not good .
I have an enclosed trailer and used to tie down to the handlebars .
Had someone pull out in front of me and the sudden stop with the trailer brakes locked , the force of weight from the tigger actually pulled the handlebars (rotated) forward and left the staps loose and not doing much .
Plus the straps like to rub on the bulbous gas tank and will destoy the shiny paint  :shock:

you would be better off to use some of the soft straps wrapped around the lower triple tree and then then hook your tie down straps to them that way nothing rubs on the gas tank .

jwray76

Thanks for the advice...so the fairing doesn't totally cover the lower triples?

I am sitting here thinking about your quick stop though and I cannot figure out for the life of me how that caused the bars to bend forward. Must of compressed the forks even more when slamming on the brakes and then when it rebounded the bars got pulled forward?? Not that it really matters...I agree that it would be better to hook to the triple than the handlebars.

ackme

Congrats jw.  15k miles, low price and plenty of farkles...I'd say you did pretty well.   :icon_salut   When do you get it back to Richmond?

You will find the wind screens are a very individual thing.  What works for one guy sucks for someone else.  Although most folks seem to think the stock ones provide more buffeting than protection.

I am interested in how the Corbin seat works out for you.

ack
The difference between try and triumph is a little umph.

2005 955i Tiger, British Racing Green- plenty of umph

jwray76

It is making its way to Richmond this weekend and I am quite excited. I test rode another with the Corbin and it seemed to fit pretty well. Of course that was a 10 to 15 minute test ride. The windscreen on the one I test rode definitely had a lot of buffeting so I am hoping this one is better. My last 3 bikes were naked and I typically prefer it because all of the air is clean air. Heck maybe I will have one of the only naked Tiggers  :lol:

walker

good deal! They're a lot of fun. Getting the 3 box set is a good deal too, beats trying to find all three and get the locks keyed the same.

I see a black one around here periodically - sometimes with other dual sports.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"any straps hooked to the handlebars is not good ... you would be better off to use some of the soft straps wrapped around the lower triple tree ...

The triple tree is always a better bet. I hauled a Buell Lightning this way and it still came loose a bit. Didn't have a problem but made me think.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

BigMark

Welcome to the family  :D

Looks like you picked up a good deal there.

jwray76

Bike made the trip safely (lower triple tree was good advice) and I had a chance to go through some things yesterday.

Worst that I see so far is it appears that the chain is shot. I cleaned, lubed, adjusted and it was looking pretty good. Then I took it for a ride and realized it has a pretty serious tight spot in it. Played around with adjusting for a while but looks like a new chain/sprockets will be needed. Stinks because seller said that chain and valves were checked last fall....hmmm now I am thinking I better not trust the valve check either.

Other than that the Cee Baileys windsreen is in the way when the handlebars are turned to full lock. There is a pretty significant amount of interference between the screen and the hand guards. Anybody else have this problem? Seems like i will probably need to trim the screen.