News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel warnin light

Started by rybes, October 01, 2010, 02:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

alright peoples :D

after bout 2 years of me tiger tank jus sat doin nuffin i appear to have got a problem. no matter how much petrol is in it the warning light still stays on. can it be fixed ? bloody hope so cos a newuns right dear, bout 80 quid :O

if its broke might try n rig summink up with a toilet cistern and some kinda switch  :?:
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Bixxer Bob

I'd be checking electrics first - gauge senders tend to be erratic if they're failng.  I'd describe what you need to do but I haven't my manual with me.  I'll do it later if no-one else pitched up.

Thinking about it though, on all the time means you're either looking at no volts or a dead short depending on how it works - shouldn't be hard to find which  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

BruKen

Why does one need an idiot light when there is a reserve on the petcock? Mine works just fine so I may be asking a dumb question here. Feel free to put me on the straight and narrow.

NeilD

Quote from: "BruKen"Why does one need an idiot light when there is a reserve on the petcock? Mine works just fine so I may be asking a dumb question here. Feel free to put me on the straight and narrow.

its for entertainment on those long boring motorway journeys, trying to guess when its goign to come on...  :D :D

Rybes - Haynes manual says disconnect wiring at sensor - if light doesnt go out then the blue/orange wire is grounded somewhere...

rybes

cheers for ya replys. :D

bruken, the reason i want it to work is cos its there. im a fussy git ;) :lol:

as for the switch, i was wonderin if it was praps some kinda float thingy thats got stuck in the no petrol postion leavin the light on. i was hopin it would be a case of jus unstickin it ? cant take it apart at the mo, to much petrol n no where to put it

NeilD

have you tried pulling the wires off the bottom? you can do that with the tank in situ, that should prove whether its the switch or the wiring at fault... ?

BruKen

Nothing wrong with being fussy mate. It's a good state. :D

to my knowlege it's not a float thingy. If it was we might be able to do something useful with it like have a petrol guage. It's a resistor afair, so I am told. I'd just unplug it tbh. It has absolutely no redeeming quality whatsoever imo.

NeilD

looks like this..

P1000448 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

rybes

hmmmmmm, cheers neil. wonder if its fixable ? time will tell. gunna go f ride tmora n use up some of the petrol in it ;) then ill take it out n see if its fixable

Nick Calne

If your warning light doesn't work, how will you know you have traveled exactly 172 miles since you last filled up from empty?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Mustang

Quote from: "nickcalne"If your warning light doesn't work, how will you know you have traveled exactly 172 miles since you last filled up from empty?
ummmmm..............reset the trip meter ??????.reserve has over a gallon of gas left , here in new england USA you would be hard pressed to not find a fuel station within 40 miles .........I can't imagine UK is much different.

but I can relate to the "It needs to work cuz it's there syndrome "

Nick Calne

Ah sorry Mustang I appear to have accidentally tripped you into the great transatlantic irony divide.  Apologies...

Share your view though.  Either it works and it's on the bike or it doesn't and it's on the shelf.  No room for non-working stuff on a moving motorbike!
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

rybes

Quote from: "nickcalne"If your warning light doesn't work, how will you know you have traveled exactly 172 miles since you last filled up from empty?

i was gunna lakky band a lolly stick to the forks so it hit the spokes and count clicks per mile ;) :lol:

MtheTiger

Quotelooks like this..

P1000448 by GUZZINEIL, on Flickr

the resistor thingy is cooled by the gas and slowly heats up when the gas runs out. more heat means more current and thus more light.

And I too agree with the fussy git bit :lol:
-Only dead fish go with the flow-

97 Caspian blue

rybes

while stood lookin at my bike today, ive decided that the fuel warnin light has to get fixed.  what ive not said was were i was standin lookin at my bike. can ya guess ? if you said side of the road, youd be right. guess whos petrol tap was on reserve since last ride out  :oops:

fixin the warnin light has become a proirity :lol: