News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

How is the idle speed adjusted on this bike? (00 885i)

Started by haroldo_psf, October 01, 2010, 09:53:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haroldo_psf

Hello!

On my other bikes, there is a cable screw somewhere which allows for adjustment of idle speed. I haven't found one on this bike.

How do we adjust the idle speed?
2000 Tiger 885i

ChazzyB

Get your laptop computer and ECU-hookup cable out.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Bixxer Bob

In the "map" or "tune" there's a page that sets out the target rpm depending on engine temp. If I remember right it's in 10deg steps.  You can set it to anything you want; mine's set about 100rpm above standard to reduce the chance of it dying on me when I stop.

Just tried to copy a screenshot but coouldn't get thew size right - too late at night and my brain's tired.  It goes in 10 then 6 degree steps....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

great! That's the one thing I'm missing then so it will run like new!

It doesn't die on me at ALL anymore! However, after the bike is fully warmed up, the rpms hover around 900... and it sounds like it could die at any moment... I want to bring it up to 1200 all over the place.

It starts at 1500 when cold, then it warms up slightly and goes down to 1200, they when it's running for a while, fans on and all, it stays at 900...

I can't wait to get this cable...

At least I know now I don't need to mess around with A/F or anything as my stalling issues and hesitation off idle went completely away after I replaced IACV, TPS, and fuel relay. (TPS is the culprit, but the other stuff was replaced along the way).

Out of curiosity... You mention "to reduce the chance of stalling on me when I stop". So, is this stalling when coming to a stop thing a systematic issue with these bikes?
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

Could be more the custom map I'm running.  I keep tweeking it and will get it right one day.  Until then I just keep the idle a bit high.  I have had the opposite problem as well.  Just yesterday I tried a much richer map at the bottom end (to completely eliminate popping) but when I took her for  a run I ended up with a 2500rpm idle.  Not funny!!!
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

I finally got my OBDII cable from China yesterday. This is the very cable that is listed as a good one to use in the TriumphTorque forum (the tuning section). I also downloaded and installed the latest FDTI driver, 2.08.xx.

I have TuneECU and the key.bin file in the same directories, but I can't connect to the ECU...

When this happens, I assume there is no magic trick... I cleaned the contacts of the OBDII connector on the bike with electrical contac cleaner.

When I connect the OBDII cable, the blue light inside the casing on the cable comes on, but I cannot establish a connection.

What could I try?
2000 Tiger 885i

Timbox2

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"I finally got my OBDII cable from China yesterday. This is the very cable that is listed as a good one to use in the TriumphTorque forum (the tuning section). I also downloaded and installed the latest FDTI driver, 2.08.xx.

I have TuneECU and the key.bin file in the same directories, but I can't connect to the ECU...

When this happens, I assume there is no magic trick... I cleaned the contacts of the OBDII connector on the bike with electrical contac cleaner.

When I connect the OBDII cable, the blue light inside the casing on the cable comes on, but I cannot establish a connection.

What could I try?

Could be a COM port issue, the computer will assign a com port to the lead, you need to check that the software is set up to use same com port, could be this.
2016 Tiger Sport

haroldo_psf

I thought of that, and I'm glad you bring it up. I could find no place in TuneECU where I can set the COM port.

Where is it?

On a different note, I was wondering about this. The Triumph spec is that idle speed is supposed to be at 1200. I want to go into the TuneECU and adjust the idle speed to be at 1200 (it seems to me at 1000 right now). I don't uderstand why I have to do that. Shouldn't the computer just keep it at 1200, IF that's what the stock OEM MAP is set to? I mean, where is the disconnect? How does the ECU measure RPM?
2000 Tiger 885i

Danny955i

Plug the cable into the bike... then the computer... then turn on TuneEcu.

If that doesn't work, you may have the wrong driver for your cable.

iansoady

The ECU uses the crankshaft position sensor to determine engine speed. The IACV bleeds air into the intake ports when the throttle is closed in order to maintain the idle speed specified by the ECU. It seems most unlikely the map is incorrect in this area - far more likely that the IACV isn't working correctly.

The attached are from the Triumph workshop manual.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Bixxer Bob

Good Gen Ian.  

I found  that adjusting the map for low rpm / engine load does screw up the idle rpm as does manually adjusting the long term  fuel trim, although that's unlike to be H's problem as he's not managed to connect to the bike yet.... :?

haroldo_psf

I have a brand new IACV, and a brand new TPS. So, do we agree that I'm OK there, and that the only thing left in the chain is the crankshaft sensor?

When I start the bike cold, it idles great at 1500rpm. Then it gets a little warm, and it drops down to 1200. Beautiful. When it's hot and fully warmed up after many minutes, that's when it drops to 900-1000 and gets lumpy. Could this be the crankshaft sensor? Should I just go ahead for good measure and replace it? It can't be that hard, right?

About me having the wrong driver for the cable... Well, I have the very driver pointed by triumphtorque.com guys on the fdti site. The only difference is that when the threads there were written, the driver version was 2.06. Now the driver available on the same link is version 2.08.

Does anyone have the 2.06 driver to email me? I'd be eternally in your debt :)

UPDATE: just ordered a crankshaft sensor. Expensive SOB!
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "haroldo_psf"UPDATE: just ordered a crankshaft sensor. Expensive SOB!

Easy to change though eh? How mich did you pay?

And before you fit it, check it out throughly to see if there are any identifying marks that we can use to source it elsewhere please.

PM me your Email address for the 2.06 driver, I have a copy.

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "haroldo_psf"UPDATE: just ordered a crankshaft sensor. Expensive SOB!

Easy to change though eh? How mich did you pay?

And before you fit it, check it out throughly to see if there are any identifying marks that we can use to source it elsewhere please.

PM me your Email address for the 2.06 driver, I have a copy.

the sensor itself was 96 "quid" (yes, I'm practing my british english now that I own a Triumph :) )

The shipping from England was outrageous (45 pounds), for a total of about 135 pounds for the thing. OUCH! I didn't realize shipping was that much until after I pressed "Confirm Purchase"...I would probably have ordered it from the dealer if I knew. World of Triumph typically has things in stock that my local dealer doesn't.

Were you being serious about this thing being easy to access and replace? Or is it hard? I haven't looked at the service manual yet....

Will send you a pm with email address. Thank you, Bob!
2000 Tiger 885i

Bixxer Bob

Ninety six quid  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

They're havin' a larf no?  And £45 shipping?? that's just taking the pi$$.  Are you sure you're only getting the sensor ?  :roll: