News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

bouncy suspension

Started by rybes, October 02, 2010, 10:56:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basri...

Quote from: "BruKen"Rebound and damping should do it. Bottom of shock and on reservoir there are screw valves

Which one is which ?.. Which one makes which effect ?..

During a 300 km trip yesterday, i felt very unconfortable and unsecure because of bouncy rear end.

Recently checked the front end and replaced the fork oil.

Should do settings for rear shock, anybody knows what effect the screw valve do on reservoir, and the one at the bottom of the shock.?

The bikes i owned so far had only one adjuster screw which is at the bottom of the shock, i am not familiar with the one on the reservoir..
Basri,

since 1965...

Basri...

By the way, here some clue for rebound dampig adjustment;

Ensure tire pressure and tread depth are correct and preload is set (see below post).

Carefully work out original setting and write it down (for reference and so you can change it back if all else fails).

Find a bumpy road, the bumpier and the larger the range of bumps ie small to large, the better. (Riding fast around a bumpy corner is best.) A roadside observer can help as well.
Now ride up and down your bumpy road. Start with one extreme setting (say HARD) then the other (SOFT) so you feel the sort of effect rebound damping has.

Feel what the back end is doing - you want firm traction not skidding.

Depending on the feel you got, estimate what initial setting to try (eg half way between the two extremes or more HARD than SOFT).
Try many settings (quarter turn) then write them down with their results.

The ideal setting keeps the back wheel most consistently in contact with the road. (It is NOT the smoothest ride, that's underdamped).
Basri,

since 1965...

Basri...

Quote from: "Mustang"to set the sag just raise the rear of the bike up until the wheel just starts to loose contact with the flat level concrete you are parked on then measure from the floor to a point anywhere on the bike as long as you use that same point again . now let the bike back down and measure to that same point again . You are looking to see about an inch of sag with no rider aboard just the weight of the tigger .

I belive this is the standart factory setting.
An additional information to that;

Preload seting = Adjusting the height, according to amount of load we'll put on the bike..

Quote from: "rybes"anyone know how to measure full suspension travel or know what it is ?

Yes, this is important and we should know the full travel distance of the shock, this information should be given by the producer.

Let's say total travel distance of our shock is 18 cm (this value is only an example, we should find out the correct travel distance), the sag on loaded bike should be 1/3 of the total travel distance of the shock.

Bike is uprihgt position, side and center stands closed, no load on the bike.
measure the distance between floor and a reference point on the bike..

Sit on the bike with your riding clothes, helmet, luggage, pillion if y're going to have one..

We assume shock has 18 cm travel distance, 1/3 of 18 is 6 cm.

As in this example, 6 cm sag on loaded bike will provide lots of riding comfort and safety..

Than we can adjust rebound damping (see above)

Sorry for metric measurements, not familiar with others.. :oops:
Basri,

since 1965...

rybes

have a look at this basri. its a very easy to understand suspension guide ;)

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/mot ... 0bike%20up
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Basri...

Quote from: "rybes"have a look at this basri. its a very easy to understand suspension guide ;)

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/Guides/mot ... 0bike%20up
Great info, thank you..
Basri,

since 1965...

Sasquatch

Before you guys get to involved in trying to set your suspensions, I need to give you some bad news.  If your shock has not been serviced in the last 5 years, or ever for most Steamers, it is dead.  Totally dead.  There is not one PSI of nitrogen left in it and the fluid is beyond roached.  It does not matter if your bike only has 5,000 miles on it, it is dead.  Nitrogen leaks out over time and the fluid goes rancid.  Even without riding the bike.

So you are now trying to adjust a 15 year old dead shock.  That is like trying to use a defibrillator to revive King Tutt.

I just want to save you all some time and frustration.  I have never serviced a Steamer shock that had any life left in it at all.

Have someone service that shock before riding season starts.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Sasquatch"That is like trying to use a defibrillator to revive King Tutt.......................

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  Like it
2016 Tiger Sport

Basri...

Quote from: "Sasquatch"Have someone service that shock.

I was told by old owner of the bike "rear shock serviced last  year with 1 year warranty".

Yesterday, after playing with the valve screws little bit felt some improvement, but, never soft and smooth like my old "GS"..

Should start saving for a new Hagon.
Basri,

since 1965...

Sasquatch

Quote from: "Basri..."
Quote from: "Sasquatch"Have someone service that shock.

I was told by old owner of the bike "rear shock serviced last  year with 1 year warranty".

Yesterday, after playing with the valve screws little bit felt some improvement, but, never soft and smooth like my old "GS"..

Should start saving for a new Hagon.

I can build your stock shock into a much better shock than the Hagon for less money.

Just sayin'. :D

Nick Calne

Slight diversion on the topic... If I get my rear shock sorted out by a professional such as Sasquatch, can I expect the bike to ride better when I have a pillion.  I'm able to live with the slightly bouncy action on the bike when riding alone. (I go slow and look at the view) But when the missus is on it, it feels wallowy, too much weight on the rear (that may just be her though!), light steering etc.

Will having the rear shock serviced / adjusted / replaced cure this?

What's the best way forward?
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Nick Calne

P.S.  Had the garage change the fork oil for some heavier weight oil last time it went in for a service and boy did that make a difference.

Always nice to have at least one end of your motorbike under control....
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

aeronca

sasquatch did my shock a couple of years ago, and i was blown away at how much of a differance it made, and i just wwent with a stock rebuild. if i had to do it again(and i will eventualy), i should have had him put in a better spring. the guy does good work 8) .     eric
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

John Stenhouse

Nick, yes it will, Sas I was going to point basri in your direction, then realised he's in Turkey, might be quite a bit of shipping involved.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Basri...

Quote from: "John Stenhouse"Nick, yes it will, Sas I was going to point basri in your direction, then realised he's in Turkey, might be quite a bit of shipping involved.

Yes, i am at the other end of the world.. Steamer is the only vehicle i have, no car..My bike without a shock for quite a while, don't even want to think about it..
Basri,

since 1965...