News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What year tiger is this?

Started by Colonel Nikolai, October 04, 2010, 07:00:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

What year is this Tiger?

Saw it parked outside the Red Stag pub in Minneapolis. I've noticed lately that the Red Stag always has some amazing bike parked out front. Not always vintage: some cult bikes, too.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Hemibee

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"What year is this Tiger?

Saw it parked outside the Red Stag pub in Minneapolis. I've noticed lately that the Red Stag always has some amazing bike parked out front. Not always vintage: some cult bikes, too.

1978?
2004 KTM 450 EXC
2001 Triumph Tiger (Gone)
2013 Triumph Tiger 800XC

"Male menopause is a lot more fun than female menopause. With female menopause you gain weight and get hot flashes. Male menopause - you get to date young girls and drive motorcycles."  John Wayne

Mustang

It's at least a 1976 or newer based on the fact that it is left hand shift .

78 sounds about right though .......................

the only way to know would be to check the first 2 letters of the VIN

Chris Canning

Nice photo,for those who objected to the 1050 being called a tiger because it wasn't a Trallie,that doesn't look much like one either :wink:

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"It's at least a 1976 or newer based on the fact that it is left hand shift .

78 sounds about right though .......................

the only way to know would be to check the first 2 letters of the VIN

By process of elimination I was guessing 78 too. The huge rear disc and left hand shift are the biggest giveaways to me. Considering I will likely see this one again, I can check the VIN and report back the next time I see it.

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Nice photo,for those who objected to the 1050 being called a tiger because it wasn't a Trallie,that doesn't look much like one either :wink:

Looking around at photos of this era of Meridens the concept of a trailie was still pretty relaxed back then. They have merely the suggestion of knobs on the tires, some rubber fork gaiters with the occasional chrome rack on the back of the tank that would likely remove the soft underbelly as well as the private equipment like a cheese grater when stump striking or even in a hard panic stop  :shock:

Mustang

Quote from: "Colonel Nikolai"Looking around at photos of this era of Meridens the concept of a trailie was still pretty relaxed back then. They have merely the suggestion of knobs on the tires, some rubber fork gaiters with the occasional chrome rack on the back of the tank that would likely remove the soft underbelly as well as the private equipment like a cheese grater when stump striking or even in a hard panic stop  :shock:

actually these bikes in the photo were made by a conglomeration of norton triumph villiers and bsa , they were modular in design and the only difference between the tiger and the bonneville was a single carb versus a bonnies dual carb set up .

the bsa oil frame bikes were the exact same bike as the triumph oil frames except for  engine and badges ...it was the beginning of the end of an era .

The racks were discontinued on US models in 1966 by the US Govt legislation because of that very reason .

The tiger was never really an off road bike in the early years it was more like this 50's era tiger seen here

This is what a tiger started out as .this one is a 1939 model

This was one of the only tigers marketed as a trail bike  and they sucked compared to the japanese bikes that had arrived on the motorcycle scene by now

Colonel Nikolai

What a great walk through mustang, thanks for doing that.