News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

fuel pump sqeal

Started by jphish, October 15, 2010, 04:33:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jphish

When i turn the key on my 06' Girly the fuel pump (? - not sure what else it could be)) makes a whiney / sqealy noise. Ceases after about 2-3 seconds. Am I due for a fuel system 'catastrophy' or do I just put my earplugs in sooner?? Inquiring minds...

chairhead

Yeah,
its just the fuel pump kicking,nothin to worry about,mine does it when it feels like it :D
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

jphish

Thanks Chairhead - I'll cross it off my 'things to investigate" list - fortunately it's currently short. TTFN, j

KuzzinKenny

A little fuel injector additive now an then should keep everything lubed and cleaned !!

i use RedX !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

Putts255

I get the same thing, seems to happen more often when it is colder in the garage when I have not started it in a couple days.  

I used Sea Foam the last 2 fills and it does not seem to do it as often.
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

Danny955i

Mine's always done this... wicked bad when it's cold.

Yukon

Quote from: "Putts255"I get the same thing, seems to happen more often when it is colder in the garage when I have not started it in a couple days.

+1

jphish

Yep - definately seems to be temp dependent. Never heard the 'squeel' during summer - but now that the temps are noticably lower (by 40*F) it shows up. As per Yukon's observation, only does it on initial start up, when bike hasnt been run for a awhile. NOTE: tried Kuzzinkenny's fuel injector cleaner tip -  seems to have quieted the beast considerably. Have no idea why that should work...(lube qualities of cleaner?) but I'll accept the result. Now onto fitting the TOR exhaust & ECU remap. Merely trading one 'noise' for another.

metalguru

Quote from: "jphish"When i turn the key on my 06' Girly the fuel pump (? - not sure what else it could be)) makes a whiney / sqealy noise. Ceases after about 2-3 seconds. Am I due for a fuel system 'catastrophy' or do I just put my earplugs in sooner?? Inquiring minds...

Don't ask me how my brain cell remembered this post but I knew someone had this trouble a while back and after servicing mine with a fuel filter change, I had the same noise. The pump would sqeal on start up and gurgle on shut down. This was about 4K miles ago, just another part of the character I thought but still not right. Didn't seem to affect the running at all so left alone but the thought was still there as something not right.

When I had to change the gearbox recently the tank came off aswell as the Throttle Bodies, the fuel line was drained totally. To cut a long story short when it was all back together, switched on and no abnormal noise from the fuel pump.
Can only deduce that there was perhaps a stubborn air lock in the system.

In conclusion,

Disconnect and drain ONLY the fuel line and rail, reconnect and switch on.

BTW This applies to the single line later Girlies.
2013 Explorer
2006 Rocket 3
2004 Tiger Lucifer Orange
2001 Adventurer. (Like new).
1993 DR200
1977 Kawa Z1000A1 (Had from new)
1972 BSA A65L
1960 Norman Nippy
1952 Royal Enfield Ensign MK1
2 Crossers
I may as well do it, as I'm gonna get blamed for it anyway.

Chris Canning

Mine has done it from new,thats the last 11 years,have changed the fuel filter still does it,but stops after about 5 minutes when things have warmed up  :?

Danny955i

Ok, so 2 years ago I said that mine does it to... especially when cold (see above).

Well, I forgot to post this, but last year the noise got INTENSE. Sort of a grinding almost... WAAAAA WA WA WA WA GRRRRZZZZZZZ.

Then it would calm down, and be intermittent depending on the day. I always ran sea-foam every other tank, and changed the filter to a BMW deal... no change.

Well... I got tired of it. Found a fuel pump from a 2006 (mine's a 2001) off a bike with less than 4000 miles on flea-bay... installed it last year and the bike has been SILENT ever since... The bike had 10,000 miles on it when I installed it, and at 22,650 it is still a non-intrusive (near silent) hum.

The worst part of the old pump was that I'd be riding along silently, and then come to a stop with friends or other riders and it would SCREAM for no reason.... same thing when going to start it... click the key on and WAAAAAA WA WA GRRRRRZZZZZ.

I suggest finding a newer fuel pump from a low mileage bike. I think I only paid $25 for the entire pump/plate/filter assembly with gasket and bolts from flea-bay.

Best $25 I've ever spent.