News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

gear trouble

Started by yack_ass, October 17, 2010, 02:05:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yack_ass

A couple of months ago I got stranded in Normandy with my Tiger (2001).
I speculated that there was something wrong with the 4th gear.

Little did I know...

Fun huh? :icon_scratch

So my game plan is to look for new gears. As much as I saw, I need both 4th gears and one 3rd gear.
But the thing is that I don't know what the cause of the situation is.

Any suggestion on where to look? I went on e-bay, no luck. I was thinkig of this guy.
(European stores only :D)

There is another option, to get the gears custom made, but that can run in to a lot of €€€   :icon_scratch  

Also I don't know what to do with the rest of the engine. There is a lot of debrie in the casing. And the service manual suggested to flip the engine block to access the gearbox. I am affraid that some of the debrie went in the cylinders. I know I have to clean everything with gasoline, but I don't want to get the pistons out if there is a chance that that is not needed.

Mustang

the only safe way is to completely dismantle the engine and flush everything , because once that debris was in the oil the lube system pumped it thru the whole motor .
you need to clean the oil pump out
you can reuse the pistons and rings
the head needs to come off and be thoroughly cleaned
and new big end bearings for the crank as well as main crankshaft bearings

I know this isn't what you want to hear .....but why risk a catastrophic failure

yack_ass

What about the bolts that attach the piston rod on to the cranckshaft?

I've learned in school (well faculty) that there is such a thing as an "elastic bolt".
Supposedly the fore mentioned bolts are elastic bolts.

Can I reuse them? Or are they for one time use?

iansoady

All bolts are elastic to some extent - it's what keeps them done up. Yes you need to replace both big end bolts and nuts as they will have stretched.

TBH I think, given the possible extent of damage, I'd be looking for a decent second hand engine. By the time you add up all the parts you need it's going to be very expensive to fix this one.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

yack_ass

Well I will try to fix it, no harm in doing that.

How do I go about cleaning the block? - Gasoline and a toothbrush?
How do I remove the remains of seals from the casing? - Can I use a flat head screwdriver and GENTLY scrub it off?

Is there anything in particular that I should be aware of before I start further dissasemblement?

Now the situation is like this...

Basicall the gearbox is out. Had to remove the oil sump, the clutch cover, the rotor cover (i think it's called that) and the electric starter engin and what goes with it.

chairhead

Quote from: "iansoady"TBH I think, given the possible extent of damage, I'd be looking for a decent second hand engine. By the time you add up all the parts you need it's going to be very expensive to fix this one.
Totally agree,
look here
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TRIUMPH-TIGER-955 ... 3f02ee78c2,
dont know what the shipping would be to .......??Slovakia............i think,
could always ask for a quote,or speak to Sandy at Triumphant.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

yack_ass

Hey guys, one more question.

Is there a default starting position I can reasemble the engine? Or do I have to position shafts, pistons, etc. in the same way as they were befor dissasembly?

I found a gearbox, and I'm going to clean the engine myslef. But I need to know this important fact befor dissasembly (I think the reasons are obvious :D )

Mustang

dis assemble with the timing disc t1 mark pointing at the sensor and make a note of where the camshafts are .they should have arrows on the gears pointing at each other in 3 oclock and 9 oclock position

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "yack_ass"How do I remove the remains of seals from the casing? - Can I use a flat head screwdriver and GENTLY scrub it off?...

Take it real easy, and you'd be better off using something that has a flat side as a scraper, like a wood chiselbut grind the end flat first - you don't want any gouges.  By flat I mean take off the cutting edge so the end is a right angle and make sure it has a nice square edge.  that way you can lie the chisel flat along the casing and use the square edge to push the gasket off without digging it into the aluminium.  Scraping is a bit of an art, but with care you can do it.

It's hard to desribe this stuff sometimes.....  I wouldn't normally recommend something like this to a novice, but it sounds like you are stuck.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

haroldo_psf

Out of curiosity, from your guys experience with this motorcycle, is this just a "lucky" catastrophy without any historic pattern or record of occurrance?
2000 Tiger 885i

yack_ass

As much as I've heard by now, this thing shouldn't have happened.
The guy that services Triumphs in Slovenia said that the previous owner probably dropped it and the gears got jammed a little bit. After that everything went to hell in a handbasket  :twisted:

I am certain that the bike had this problem before I bought it. Because I experienced some problems with the 4th (or 3rd, I don't really know) gear.
Sometimes it didn't want to shift "in to gear". I taught it was neutral in between the gears (such a thing occurs on my ER6n if I shift too slowly or lazly) so I didn't put much attention on it  :oops:

Well now the situation is the way it is.
To answer Bixxer Bob, I'm a little bit stuck :D . I would gladly pay someone to fix my engine, but I simply don't have the resources. I'm going to have to fix it scholarship to scholarship :D .
But I did send a PM to Mustang before I even started unscrewing any bolt or nut, and he reasured me that it shouldn't be too difficult, but I doo have to take pictures, notes and such and not to get frustrated. Just take it easy :D .

Also the internet makes it easier to fix things, there is probably nothing I couldn't encouter that you couldn't help me with  :D .

To be honest my biggest fear is not finding parts :D, I've found a gearbox so that is resolved, all that worries me now is or shoud I say are the selas/gaskets (what is the difference?). I don't want to use the silicone paste sealant or whatever it is called    :?

haroldo_psf

REally? Now you got me scared. My bike, which I just got in the end of August, had just been dropped 4 times in the past 3 weeks before I bought it, during the Continental Divide Trail ride the previous owner did (3000 miles of dirt and river crossings). These are adventure / Dual sport bikes, I find it hard to believe that an innocent drop would damage the engine like this?

Sometimes, while shifting into higher gears (can't really remember which), it wont go in gear, and it just acts as if its in neutral, but the neutral light is not ON, I then try again, and it goes in.

Am I in for a surprise? Is this really any indication of something wrong with the gear box? I mean, it shifts perfectly 99% of the time, but it does this occasioanlly.
2000 Tiger 885i

Mustang

tigers have a false neutral between 5th and 6th .until you get some seat time it is easy to find the false neutral.

yack_ass

QuoteSometimes, while shifting into higher gears (can't really remember which), it won't go in gear, and it just acts as if it's in neutral, but the neutral light is not ON, I then try again, and it goes in

I don't want to scare you or anything, but that is exactly what was going on with my bike. Usually (if I remember correctly) I just had to lover the RPM a little bit and it poped right in. The scary thing was that this happened usualy while I was overtaking :shock: . I almost left a skidmark in my pants a couple of times :D

The mechanics theory is that it could have been an innocent drop on the shift leaver, and it moved something inside, but he said that he couldn't be certain.

If I would know what I know now, I would have opened my engine when I had the chance "to head the problem at the pass"  :wink:
At the end, what do you have to lose?  An oil change, a filter, and some gaskets? Better than loosing money for train/bus tickets, and gas for bike retrieval.

If you need an incentive  :lol:

haroldo_psf

Quote from: "Mustang"tigers have a false neutral between 5th and 6th .until you get some seat time it is easy to find the false neutral.

ahhh! thank you! I won't worry about it then, the bike shifts right on target 99% of the time, and the other 1% is the false neutral you describe.

Not that I'm proud of this, but I've dropped my other bike maybe 3 times, and 20K miles later, still great, no "jammed" gears. The Tiger has been dropped (or tipped over, not crashed) 4 times recently, and is running and shifting great other than the occasional false neutrals. It's normal then, thank you!
2000 Tiger 885i