News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

2 Questions - No rush just need to hear some opinions/facts

Started by Putts255, October 24, 2010, 03:32:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Putts255

I have a guy close to me that has some parts from a 2006 Tiger he wants to sell.  

1) He has some cast wheels he is willing to part with.  I have heard that wheels from an 06 will not fit my 2001.  Is this true?  If they do fit what would be a reasonable price to pay for them?

2) I bought his side panniers from him today and want to take my originals and sand them down and repaint them.  Has anyone done it here and do you have any advice on how to proceed?  Hey, although I work in a bank and am pretty handy and since I have an extra set I can take my time and "experiment".  

Thanks everyone or anyone who is willing to put in your 2 cents....   :D
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

John Stenhouse

The Frame changed in 2004 with intro of cast wheels, but all the changes shouldn't mean the wheels wont fit. Try them and see is the best advice.

The boxes are plastic, so when painting them make sure you use some plasticiser mixed with the paint to stop it flaking.
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

chairhead

Quote from: "Putts255"I have a guy close to me that has some parts from a 2006 Tiger he wants to sell.  

1) He has some cast wheels he is willing to part with.  I have heard that wheels from an 06 will not fit my 2001.  Is this true?

If you buy the cast wheels i think im right in saying you will need the discs too :roll: $$$$,as the ones off the spoked Tigger will not fit,they are not a straight swap,also i seem to remember that the spacers for the two wheels are different,but i could be wrong,
there is a thread about it on this forum somewhere.
03 Girly Roulette Green with a Hedingham ETH
TOR can
Wilbers shock & wasp L/L forks
Taylormade Billet wheel

NKL

The swing arm changed to conventional in '04' along with dif brake caliper but as John says try them and see.
I got hold of a spare set of panniers (not my colour) and just wet and dryed the paint off and left them plain black plastic, which looks ok because it matches the colour of the rest of my lugage.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Chris Canning

I've said it before on here,so folks will have to bare with me,I saw an 885 a couple of years ago with cast wheels,he had transplanted the swing arm in as well,I think the front wheel is a straight fit and if not doesn't need a lot of tinkering to get to.

There was also a real hybrid Tiger on ebay not so long ago,early Tiger with a 595 motor and cast wheels that also had the latter swing arm as well.

Putts255

Well the guy who is selling actually has the swing arm, sprockets and front shocks for sale among other items.  

But he is an older fella and has gone south for the winter.  Last e-mail said he would not be back until April.  Man that would be nice....c'mon lottery help me out!  

Either way I am putting the bike in storage this afternoon, actually had a couple weeks of chilly but ridable weather.  So I will e-mail him in the spring.

Panniers will come off and sit in the garage until I am ready to experiment.  I am going to try a texture paint or I will see if I can get the brother in law to get his air brush stuff dusted off.  Back in the 80's he was quite the talented artist....

Thanks for the input everyone!

Paul
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black