News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Sasquatch voltage fix, reg/rect, heated grips questions

Started by Telbert, October 27, 2010, 09:21:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telbert

Now that the weather is turning colder and the clocks will soon be going back an hour i think its time i fitted some extra lighting and sorted out the heated grips on my 05 Tiger.
I thought it would be a good idea to carry out Sasquatch`s voltage fix so checked the voltage at tickover before i started and its 15v. Compared to what some other forumites have quoted it seems high to me. Does this mean that there is a possible problem with the reg/rect or is it still worth doing the fix ?
My standard Triumph heated grips are rubbish. On Monday morning the temperature was hovering around zero and i could hardly tell that the grips were on yet some other posts have said how good the standard grips are. I cant see the switch or relay being the problem but perhaps the grips deteriorate with age. Is it worth replacing the grips, switch or relay with Triumph gear or would it be better to replace the whole lot with Oxford heated grips or some other make ?
Then i only need to sort out some auxilliary lights and sort out the useless speedo and tacho lights and i`m sorted.

any help would be appreciated

thanks.........Terry

Nimrod11

telbert, I wouldn't do the fix if you have 15v already. I do agree that that voltage sounds high but not sure if it could indicate a problem or if it can cause problems. I wouldnt think so but perhaps the experts can give opinions.

About the grips, I cant help as I don't have any. I would suggest, though, that you turn them on when stopped and try to feel the heat without gloves on. It should feel quite warm. These things don't fade away, they just burn out.

About the lights, I had cheap ones from Walmart that were quite effective but do draw 110w or about 10A. I just bought the new Denali LEDs that seem great but haven't put them on yet. However, they are expensive and I only did it because even with the Sasquatch fix, I still have low voltage problems.

Hope that helps.
John
----------
Tiger 2004

Nimrod11

telbert, I wouldn't do the fix if you have 15v already. I do agree that that voltage sounds high but not sure if it could indicate a problem or if it can cause problems. I wouldnt think so but perhaps the experts can give opinions.

About the grips, I cant help as I don't have any. I would suggest, though, that you turn them on when stopped and try to feel the heat without gloves on. It should feel quite warm. These things don't fade away, they just burn out.

About the lights, I had cheap ones from Walmart that were quite effective but do draw 110w or about 10A. I just bought the new Denali LEDs that seem great but haven't put them on yet. However, they are expensive and I only did it because even with the Sasquatch fix, I still have low voltage problems.

Hope that helps.
John
----------
Tiger 2004

Telbert

Thanks for the advice Nimrod. The grips do work but as it gets colder they get less effective. At 5C they just about keep my hands warm but at zero its hard to tell if they are even working. It seems strange that some forumites find the grips good yet others find them poor. I`ve had a few sets of Oxford heated grips on various bikes over the years and they are warm but last a year then die. Plus they dont look as tidy as the Triumph grips with their hidden wiring.
The Denali lights look good but i could really do with some lights that i can turn down when filtering in traffic so i can be seen, then when i need a bit of extra light on the backroads i can turn them up. Not found anything that fits the bill yet. A guy from Hong Kong was selling some leds on ebay that sounded promising but hasnt listed any for weeks so i`m still looking.

cheers...........Terry

Nimrod11

I've been looking at these lights for years now and very much hope the Denalis join good light, good visibility and low amps. As I mentioned, I haven't installed them yet but will report when I do.

My "El Cheapo" from Walmart do a good job with being seen, not fantastic in night illumination and awful amps draw.
----------
Tiger 2004

Timbox2

I replaced the wiring and the grips on my Tigger earlier this year, much warmer now so Yes I do think they deteriorate over time.
2016 Tiger Sport

Telbert

Thanks for the info Timbox2. Did you replace the little subharness loom too or just the part with the switch and did you replace the relay?

thanks........Terry