News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Oil and Chain topics Tiger 955i 2003

Started by Tiger Tito, November 03, 2010, 04:33:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger Tito

Hello all Tiger mates,

I have two topics to share about my Tiger 955i 2003 (new for me as I bought it last April 2010 with only 2924 km on odometer)

Topic 1 OIL:
I changed oil and filter for a second time last week (10,000 km) and confirmed that the 4 liters that the owner and service manuals state as oil capacity are not quite true. My bike shows full mark at it's level stick with only 3.5 lts

Topic 2 CHAIN:
I adjusted my chain as manuals advise with a free vertical displacement of 40 mm but when two up and full luggage (aprox. 170 kg) the chain appears really tight as the cord of a bow! Now I'm trying with 50 mm of free movement and seems to be better.

Some ideas or thoughts on both topics?
Tiger Tito
Tiger 955i \'03
Moto Guzzi Griso 1100 \'06
Kawasaki KLR650 \'09

jwray76

1) probably not getting all of the oil out during changes.

2) commonly agreed that slack should be greater than factory recommended. Check out the Girly wisdom section.

Mustang

Quote from: "Tiger Tito"Hello all Tiger mates,

I have two topics to share about my Tiger 955i 2003 (new for me as I bought it last April 2010 with only 2924 km on odometer)

Topic 1 OIL:
I changed oil and filter for a second time last week (10,000 km) and confirmed that the 4 liters that the owner and service manuals state as oil capacity are not quite true. My bike shows full mark at it's level stick with only 3.5 lts

Topic 2 CHAIN:
I adjusted my chain as manuals advise with a free vertical displacement of 40 mm but when two up and full luggage (aprox. 170 kg) the chain appears really tight as the cord of a bow! Now I'm trying with 50 mm of free movement and seems to be better.

the manual is wrong , fill the oil to the level mark on the stick and you are correct 50 mm works better than what the manual states

JTT

Quote from: "Tiger Tito"Hello all Tiger mates,

Topic 1 OIL:

Topic 2 CHAIN:

I've also got a 2003 Tiger...ditto and ditto
2003 955i Tiger
2005 KLR
1970 T100C