News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Re-Building Head Question!

Started by ramseybella, November 10, 2010, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ramseybella

Well it's that time to rebuild my head Been putting it off as I bought a 1200 ZRX to play around with but it's no Tiger. Other than the obvious parts Valves, keepers, seals, gaskets what other parts should I replace?
I have a brand new head case with guides installed should I buy new springs, maybe just the outer springs the price list is moving up?
Planning on pulling and re-installing the head with motor mounted to frame as I don't have a bench and nobody in my neck of the woods wants to pull the head and re-install it, I get the same old
 (Part it out it's not worth it).
I am sending old and new heads out to get rebuilt any fun stuff and surprises I should be prepared for as I am pulling the head and re-installing it myself ina  shed, in short (Don't want to bugger this job want to ride this spring never done this before).

Thanks!

Mustang

it's pretty straight forward ...follow the manual.......if you don't have one, get one!

don't forget to get a tube of hylomar sealant from bike bandit. you need to reseal the cylinder liner bases anytime the head is removed

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"it's pretty straight forward ...follow the manual.......if you don't have one, get one!

don't forget to get a tube of hylomar sealant from bike bandit. you need to reseal the cylinder liner bases anytime the head is removed

Have the book and I think most of the tools, Hylomar for between head gasket/upper cylinder liner bases?

Do I have to pull the liners as well?

Thank's Mustang!!

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella", Hylomar for between head gasket/upper cylinder liner bases?

the hylomar is for the cylinder bases to seal coolant from getting into sump
the head gasket will seal the tops of the liners

any time the head is removed you will upset the cylinder liners enuff to possibly cause coolant leaks

an ounce of prevention goes a long way !

JetdocX

Read this if you have not already done so:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,38160

Also, the old head's valve seats are the problem.  Unless you are going to cut out the old seats and install new ones, don't throw any more money at that old head.  In other words, if you put new valves in the old head, the new valves will be toast in about 6000 miles.
From parts unknown.

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"
Quote from: "ramseybella", Hylomar for between head gasket/upper cylinder liner bases?

the hylomar is for the cylinder bases to seal coolant from getting into sump
the head gasket will seal the tops of the liners

any time the head is removed you will upset the cylinder liners enuff to possibly cause coolant leaks

an ounce of prevention goes a long way !

I understand after looking at some photos.
Got Ya!!

So as far as parts do you think I will need both sets of valve springs?

List so far as much as I see I need? Shopping Cart
  Delete Qty. BikeBandit.com
Part Number Description Unit Price Your Price Total
Price
(5558814-001)
   STUD,SHLD,M8X1.25X36.5,SLV,ENC  
Triumph 1998 TIGER CYLINDER HEAD & VALVES  
 6 x $1.63 = $9.78
(5576684-001)
   WASHER,CU,OD19.0,ID14.2,1.5  
 1 x $0.88 = $0.88
(5559056-001)
   WASHER, M6  
 1 x $0.76 = $0.76
(5565545-001)
   Gasket, cyl head, 3 cyl HTR  
 1 x $53.51 = $53.51
(5565258-001)
   VALVE, EXHAUST  
 3=2 per set x $46.33 = $138.99
(5565257-001)
   VALVE, INLET  
 3=2 per set x $46.33 = $138.99
(5559085-001)
   OIL SEAL, VALVE STEM  
 12 x $10.51= $126.12
(5556927-001)
   SPRING, VALVE (OUTER)  
 12 x $7.35 = $88.20
(5565245-001)
   COLLET,VALVE WD  
 12 x $0.92 = $11.04
(5556978-001)
   SPACER, GASKET CYL HEAD  
 1 x $1.45 = $1.45

Subtotal: $569.72

JetdocX

They sell a head kit that has all the gaskets needed for cylinder head replacement.  It's item #27 in the BikeBandit fische.
From parts unknown.

Mustang

as far as springs go
here's what I would do :
measure the free length of all the springs if they are all relatively close in overall length I would reuse them
if the lengths are all over the place I would replace them
that would put you under 5 bills for your list
not bad for a new head with the casting you scored off ebay

ramseybella

Quote from: "Mustang"as far as springs go
here's what I would do :
measure the free length of all the springs if they are all relatively close in overall length I would reuse them
if the lengths are all over the place I would replace them
that would put you under 5 bills for your list
not bad for a new head with the casting you scored off ebay

Got the head case with new guides for $200.00, don't know what year  885 it's for hope not 1998!! :P

I find it amazing how close the Triumph motor is like a Kawasaki, wonder if Kawasaki 1000 Valve seals are the same they look the same in photos?

By the way I have to send the parts and the heads to a shop to rebuild the new head so I won't be able to measure the spring releaf it has 42000 miles on it but bottom end runs strong no oil burning or consumption a good thing.

ramseybella

Quote from: "JetdocX"Read this if you have not already done so:
http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/msg,38160

Also, the old head's valve seats are the problem.  Unless you are going to cut out the old seats and install new ones, don't throw any more money at that old head.  In other words, if you put new valves in the old head, the new valves will be toast in about 6000 miles.

So the Cylinder sleeves need to be pulled out to apply the hylomar?

JetdocX

Yes.  Might as well do it.  It will save you a bunch of time and headache down the line.
From parts unknown.

rybes

[quote="ramseybella] i fnd it amazing how close the Triumph motor is like a Kawasaki, wonder if Kawasaki 1000 Valve seals are the same they look the same in photos?
[/quote]

if what ive read is right, i beleive triumph went to kawasaki for some help. if you look atthings like the swingarm you can see the kwaka similarities.

if i can find the link ill post it for ya.
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Mustang

Quote from: "ramseybella"i fnd it amazing how close the Triumph motor is like a Kawasaki, wonder if Kawasaki 1000 Valve seals are the same they look the same in photos?
Quote from: "rybes"if what ive read is right, i beleive triumph went to kawasaki for some help. if you look atthings like the swingarm you can see the kwaka similarities.

if i can find the link ill post it for ya.
They did ...........Kawasaki was a big part in showing Triumph how to make a factory that could produce bikes

ramseybella

Quote from: "rybes"[quote="ramseybella] i fnd it amazing how close the Triumph motor is like a Kawasaki, wonder if Kawasaki 1000 Valve seals are the same they look the same in photos?

if what ive read is right, i beleive triumph went to kawasaki for some help. if you look atthings like the swingarm you can see the kwaka similarities.

if i can find the link ill post it for ya.[/quote][/quote]

My 98 Tiger Oil filter fits my ZRX1200 oil filter cap is close to the same as well.
Look familiar?

ramseybella