News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

carb icing

Started by rybes, November 18, 2010, 04:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rybes

afternoon all  :D its that time of year again when the weather turns shite. wich in turn my bikes gunna keep freezin the carbs. (forgot it done this)
has anyone got a cure for it ? i know ya can get additives to put in the petrol but id rather find a cheaper permanant fix.
i did notice on one splutter, the rev counter jumped up 500 rpm. now, its got new nology coils leads n plugs. had a new ignition pick up not long before it got laid up many moons ago.
i dont think it can be an electrical prob as let it sit for 2 3 mins n itll start spluttery then clear itself.
so, does anyone have a fix for this ? ive heard bout puttin a small wattage bulb in the airbox but that seems a bit far fecthed to me. i was thinkin of adaptin a water pipe to take a smaller bore hose n wrap it round the carbs  :?:

what you think  :idea:

cheers all  :D
reiberman reiberman rides his tiger as hard as he can (sung to spiderman tune)

Timbox2

Was it the early 90's when Kwak had to mod loads of Zephyrs with electric carb heaters, they had a sensor in the air box which switched em on when the temp went down, think it would involve drilling carbs though so maybe not that easy, reckon the additives still gonna be simpler.
2016 Tiger Sport

iansoady

I had a Honda Dominator that was very susceptible to carb icing. It did have a heater in the carb but either it didn't work or was a bad design as it never seemed to have any effect.

I ended up using some Silkolene stuff (FST?) which as a bit pricy but did the trick.

It shouldn't be impossible to plumb a circuit from the cooling system in?
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

JetdocX

I think it would be easier to re-route your intake air from an exhaust heat exchanger since they are in very close proximity anyways.
From parts unknown.

rybes

jus had a look jetdocx n i think itd be too messy to re route the intake from the exhaust. but i did find this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/136-8W-TEC-Thermo ... 4153c52f7f

oh hold on, i jus remembered. ive got a pair of heated handgrips in the garage. i wonder if i could butcher those to make summink up hmmm :?:

jwray76

just get a Girly  :P

rybes

Quote from: "jwray76"just get a Girly  :P

no!  :P  :lol: i jus spent 3 grand doin me steamer up.  :o  thas now a keeper ;)

rf9rider

If you route a water pipe round the carbs, won`t the problem still be there until the water has heated up?

akendall1966

Careful on this one, being a heat-pump they only work with a limited temperature difference between the plates. The cold side would have to have a suitable heat-source to pump the heat from to the hot side.

Quote from: "rybes"jus had a look jetdocx n i think itd be too messy to re route the intake from the exhaust. but i did find this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/136-8W-TEC-Thermo ... 4153c52f7f
:?:
----AK-----

rybes

Quote from: "rf9rider"If you route a water pipe round the carbs, won`t the problem still be there until the water has heated up?

probly but i only ever suffer from the problem when im ridin at speed for a few miles. if i ride it like a briar smokin brown trouser bmw owner, i prob wouldnt suffer from it. but as the tshirt says, i ride like a twat, see my problem :lol:
i can see me in the garage this weekend  tryin t suss it.

Akendall1966, ya not dannys older brother by any chance :lol:
how do ya mean heat pump ? i thought i was some kinda resistor/capacitor warmer uper. my leccy knowledge is shite so i was takin a wild guess on em.
i have found in car water heaters for cups of drinks etc and baby bottle warmers. there only cheap so praps one of them could be bastardised to fit ? hmmmm

rybes

hmmmmmm dont think its carb icin. jus went to start it to go out. pulled the choke started it up n away it went. left it on choke f a while t warm up a bit, took the choke off n it died. wont start unless the chokes on. hmmmm i see my afternoon filled with carb strippin :( gutted!!

ive jus got the carbs out to have a look n maybe give em a clean out. got the carbs off and when i started to strip em, i noticed that the carb tops are all loose. yes i did tighten em up properly las time they were apart.
now this might sound obvious if ya know the answer but bike carbs are new t me. never really had em go wrong so i never had to look at em closely. could the loose carb tops cause the runnin problems ?

also while i was in them ive checked the jets. i got 105 mains and 40 pilots (jus like mustangs recomendations) its still fluffy under 4grand. could it be the carb tops causin this too ?

Timbox2

Quote from: "rybes"hmmmmmm dont think its carb icin. jus went to start it to go out. pulled the choke started it up n away it went. left it on choke f a while t warm up a bit, took the choke off n it died. wont start unless the chokes on. hmmmm i see my afternoon filled with carb strippin :( gutted!!

ive jus got the carbs out to have a look n maybe give em a clean out. got the carbs off and when i started to strip em, i noticed that the carb tops are all loose. yes i did tighten em up properly las time they were apart.
now this might sound obvious if ya know the answer but bike carbs are new t me. never really had em go wrong so i never had to look at em closely. could the loose carb tops cause the runnin problems ?

also while i was in them ive checked the jets. i got 105 mains and 40 pilots (jus like mustangs recomendations) its still fluffy under 4grand. could it be the carb tops causin this too ?

Now come on, these are CV carbs no?, If so they rely on a vacuum to lift the needles, loose tops would equal no vacuum  I'd have thought.

RTFM,  Read the f....... manual, only jesting with you :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

rybes

Quote from: "Timbox2"Now come on, these are CV carbs no?, If so they rely on a vacuum to lift the needles, loose tops would equal no vacuum  I'd have thought.

bloody injection bike owners tellin a carb bike owner what t do  :shock: summink wrong there :lol:

RTFM  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  thas quality, ya made me spit tea everywhere.

altho you do have a good point, ahem  :oops:

Timbox2

Quote from: "rybes"
Quote from: "Timbox2"Now come on, these are CV carbs no?, If so they rely on a vacuum to lift the needles, loose tops would equal no vacuum  I'd have thought.

bloody injection bike owners tellin a carb bike owner what t do  :shock: summink wrong there :lol:

RTFM  :ImaPoser  :ImaPoser  thas quality, ya made me spit tea everywhere.

altho you do have a good point, ahem  :oops:

But me first bike had an Amal , and plenty in between, its an age thing, as I said, only joking. we all have to start somewhere
2016 Tiger Sport

rybes

Quote from: "Timbox2"But me first bike had an Amal , and plenty in between, its an age thing, as I said, only joking. we all have to start somewhere

im only jokin too mate. im jus jealous you aint gotta go through this anymore :lol: my first bike was only 10 years ago so the only amal i know is the bloke in the local kebab shop :lol: