News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

spent four hours on a GS1200 yesterday

Started by kelpie_67, November 22, 2010, 04:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelpie_67

Rode my buddies new(to him) 2007 GS 1200 Adventure from London Ontario to Wiarton Ontario yesterday and was surprised how nimble it was upon moving off - When we arrived at the dealer I looked at it and thought " oh crap it's huge" but upon moving off realised how well balanced they actually are. All in all - wow. However the trip served to make me realise that my 2000 885i is actually not a bad ride in comparison-for one thing the triple is silky smooth low down. Yes the 1200 is amazingly sorted but I know with a bit of farkling I can be happy with my old lady for quite a while. A newer tiger with the 955 motor would keep me happy until I win the lottery!
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

Chris Canning

Blimey if you think your 885 ain't bad against a GS,then god knows what you would think with a 955 or a 1050  :D

kelpie_67

I'm sure you noticed that I said not too bad and that I also said I'd like to get a 955i however that being said I am having an enjoyable motorcycling experience for considerably less financial commitment. My buddy and I will presumably run down the same highways together at the same speed looking at the same things. Yes he'll be able to get away from me if he chooses.
The point I was trying to get across was that if you haven't got much to spend then even an 885 can still put a little smile on your face. I was fortunate enough to spend three or more hours riding the GS and then get straight on to my old trumpet- and ride it for an hour home. Yes the beemer was immeasurably better but I still enjoyed riding my bike home and am looking forwards to beating the crap out of it around the dirt roads where I live as much as I can before heavy snow puts paid to that.

Chris Canning

The difference being,riding down the road on 955 with your friend at the same speed,same views,you'll be able to get away from him when you choose  :D

And yes I do own 2 BMW's  :roll:

2004Tiger

I had an R1000R, airhead, for 14 years, a beautiful bike. Then I had an 1100GS, oilhead, for a year, a piece of shit. Then along came my 955i, and the smiles are bigger than ever.
2004 Tiger. Black is beautiful. If I don\'t ride a little every day I get a little crazy.

kelpie_67

I know but right now that fact that I even have a bike at all is a miracle :qgreenjumpers  :qgreenjumpers  :qgreenjumpers so the old 885 will have to do!

Chris Canning

I've a K1200r Sport with less than 4,000 miles on it and has never seen a wet day it's it life with a pair of BST carbon fibre wheels to on and god knows what else,and an 1100s with every bell and whistle you can think of and some,and my 955 Tiger still floats my boat  :D,for travelling a distance on it's the best bike I(we) have ever had bar absolutely non,stock it ain't but it's still a 955.

Nick Calne

The best bike is one that works, is paid for, full of fuel and on your drive, ready to go.  :D
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

Chris Canning

Quote from: "nickcalne"The best bike is one that works, is paid for, full of fuel and on your drive, ready to go.  :D

Is your drive paid for thats the important bit,never mid the bike :wink:

Nick Calne

Oh I own the drive, Chris, no  doubt about it.  That drive is all mine.  The house and the rest of the land it sits on will take me another 50 years to pay off (at least).
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

tett

Nice to see you back up on the forum.  Can't wait to see this 1200GS.  Can you get him to drive it into the market this weekend?  Not too much snow in the forecast.

Tarzan
98 Valkyrie
71 Commando
06 Tiger

Chris Canning

Quote from: "nickcalne"Oh I own the drive, Chris, no  doubt about it.  That drive is all mine.  The house and the rest of the land it sits on will take me another 50 years to pay off (at least).

Well I can assure you that owning the bike and having a full tank of fuel is an absolute minor detail in comparison with the last payment on your mortgage,and as a totally usless piece of info,wait till you get there,and find that they give you one last financial kicking to transfer your name on the land registry  :evil:

I've(we) have been mortgage free for some time,jeeze can you spend some money on biking  :D  :D

kelpie_67

oh I've got a long long way to go before I get to the light at the end of the tunnel- and discover that it's a freight train coming the other way!