News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

future of 1050?

Started by jonathan jaecks, November 22, 2010, 01:30:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonathan jaecks

Now that the 2011 bikes are revealed and new "spy" shots of a 1200 with a shaft drive for 2012 is out what's the future of the 1050 Tiger?  Anybody with connections heard anything?  Will it stay the same, will it get upgraded (it's about time), will it get dropped from the lineup?

Bixxer Bob

Doesn't look like anyone gives a monkey's  :roll:

Want to borrow my F**kometer???
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

I'll be interested to see what Triumph do,the 955/1050 motor is at the end of it's development,and clearly they have to move on,but blimey it'll be interesting,the 955 luddites were jumping up and down over the 1050 god knows what will happen with this 1200,because it really is going to be a major change in direction,and with the shaft drive as well,by it's very nature means it'll be a big old bus,and not a lightweight at that.

Bixxer Bob

I think you're right Chris, but I for one would be interested in a 1200 shaft drive Trophy with looks that aren't as grandad as the old Trophy and not as Transformers as a Pan, somehwere in between...

Oh and big comfy seats, waterproof, useable luggage, 200 mile range, heated grips, I can take or leave ABS although it would be nice, FUELING THAT WORKS, easily adjusted suspension Triumph's usual high standard of finish and a price tag significantly below the competition.

Not much to ask eh?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Chris Canning

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"I think you're right Chris, but I for one would be interested in a 1200 shaft drive Trophy with looks that aren't as grandad as the old Trophy and not as Transformers as a Pan, somehwere in between...

Oh and big comfy seats, waterproof, useable luggage, 200 mile range, heated grips, I can take or leave ABS although it would be nice, FUELING THAT WORKS, easily adjusted suspension Triumph's usual high standard of finish and a price tag significantly below the competition.

Not much to ask eh?

Well thats were I draw the line,even though I ride two up most of the time,I'm R1 in my head,I'll be driving a motorhome with monkey bike on the bike,before I go the barn door route.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"Well thats were I draw the line,even though I ride two up most of the time,I'm R1 in my head,I'll be driving a motorhome with monkey bike on the bike,before I go the barn door route.

:ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser :ImaPoser

I think you know I'm almost there!  Bought a motorhome this summer and recently bought a trailer for the Tiger.  Being able to take a bike with us was a must otherwise.... might as well have saved a load of dosh and bought a caravan  :roll:

The idea is we've both had enough of roughing it in tents (wife was a scout leader for many many years) and B&B can get really expensive.  This way we park up for a couple of days in each place and tour using the bike.

Chris Canning

Well we did the wandering around Europe looking at the views for 25 years,it's race meetings and visiting friends now and has been for the last 10,so hotelling it is the norm.

oxnsox

Whilst they're still selling street triples I don't see the engine disappearing
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris Canning

Quote from: "oxnsox"Whilst they're still selling street triples I don't see the engine disappearing

Me neither,the question is,how big is the new 1200 going to be?,if it turns out that it's a big old bus,maybe the 1050 will remain an option for some,particularly with the new 800 out the offroaders are happy.

Here in the UK,Honda were adament that the VFR 800 was finished,I had a mate trying to buy one earlier this year,'No Chance' they told him,the new VFR 1200 was such a success :roll: ,they have re introduced the 800!!

As I said in another post about the 955 V 1050 debate,this new 1200 is going to be mighty risky shaft and all.

Bixxer Bob

But aren't they just dusting off the research they did some time ago into a hyperbike?  Rumour had it it would have been a 'Busa-beater. MCN even had some spy shots of a prototype.  Should save them a big chunk of early development costs....

John Stenhouse

Have to say as a tourer I would look very favourably on a 1200 with shaft drive. may be too big for off roading but would still do a bit of sensible dirt track (no mud).
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

brad1098

Maybe after the 800xc starts selling like hot cakes triumph will finally come out with a 1050xc?
02 black-Lorna

oxnsox

Surely there'd be enough percieved difference between say a 1050 street triple and a new radical (shaft?) 1200 based beast... at least for a season or so which would let them decide where the 'market' lies.

It'd let them make Euro compliant bikes and ones for the rest of us.... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬¬
  If it ain't Farkled...  don't fix it....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chris Canning

Quote from: "brad1098"Maybe after the 800xc starts selling like hot cakes triumph will finally come out with a 1050xc?

Not a snowballs chance in hell.

BM 800 hasn't been a big seller I don't see the Triumph being any better,steady seller at best.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Chris Canning"BM 800 hasn't been a big seller I don't see the Triumph being any better,steady seller at best.

I agree; although it doesn't make any sense. I see a 1200GS equivalent being a better seller.  If you are a serious ADV rider the 800 is the better bike - either BMW or Triumph.  But the testosterone-led balls-over-brains majority of buyers that go no further than the local Costa will always opt for the bigger bike (and I even include myself here - 800 meets my needs but when it comes to writing a cheque I'd probably end up with the 1200) because if you have a 1200 you think anyone that goes for the smaller bike is somehow lacking when in fact the truth is the reverse.