News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

OIL Level

Started by Tiger Tito, November 28, 2010, 02:44:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiger Tito

Hello all Tiger mates,

I have another topic with OIL level reading.

According to my 2003 Tiger 955i Manual, before reading I have to run the motor for a while, then stop the motor and wait for ten minutes and then read level on dipstick.

I wonder why the oil level must be read that way and not as in cars, with cold motor and before even starting it?

Thanks and ride safe  :?:
Tiger Tito
Tiger 955i \'03
Moto Guzzi Griso 1100 \'06
Kawasaki KLR650 \'09

Chris Canning

All depends on what the manafacture wants/thinks,they are allowing for what is in the system ie oil cooler etc,my 1100s is the same leave the bike for 5min you get the correct reading in the site glass,leave an hour and it is above it,as the oil has drained back into the motor.

And your next question will be,when I put the correct amount in as per the book,hardly(if at all) shows on the dipstick  :D

Timbox2

and mines the other way, if I put the full 4ltrs in its way over the max if screwed in, oddly if I dont screw it in its about right
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

I've got it chalked up on the garage wall because the Tiger needs screwing in and the Blackbird doesn't - I can never remember which is which whithout looking... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Advwannabe

Take an oil level reading as per Triumph's recommendations and make sure the level is right.

Now go for a ride, leave the bike overnight and check the oil level the following morning. Wherever the oil level is, that's your cold oil level mark.
No good deed goes unpunished
02 Tigger
02 Blackbird
75 GT380
IBA #33180

John Stenhouse

And if you do a search on here from a while back you will find they fitted some with a different length dipstick too
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Yankee Dog

I know this is an old thread, but I did a little experiment the other day and this seemed like a good place to post up the results.

After forgetting to check the oil at the specified 10 min mark several times I decided to see just how much change in the indicated oil level there actually is over time. For reference I have a 2006.

I set a timer and checked my engine oil level at 0, 10, 20, 30, 60, 2 hours and 24 hours.

Bottom line is that there is maybe an 1/8 inch drop in the indicated oil level over 24 hours. I personally am not going to worry about it any more.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Yankee Dog"I know this is an old thread, but I did a little experiment the other day and this seemed like a good place to post up the results.

After forgetting to check the oil at the specified 10 min mark several times I decided to see just how much change in the indicated oil level there actually is over time. For reference I have a 2006.

I set a timer and checked my engine oil level at 0, 10, 20, 30, 60, 2 hours and 24 hours.

Bottom line is that there is maybe an 1/8 inch drop in the indicated oil level over 24 hours. I personally am not going to worry about it any more.

Youve got too much time on yer hands, go ride yer bike :lol:
2016 Tiger Sport

jphish

I know on the later model Girlies (mine is one of the 06 'last ones') it only takes about 3.25 qts to full mark on dipstick. That includes the 4oz I put in new filter before installing on bike. So 4 qts, as specified in manual, appears to be considerably into "over fill" territory.

NZDeano

Putting my 10 cents worth in here as new owner of a 2003. I just dumped my oil, even though the last owner had the 10,000km service done only 1,000km before I purchased. He said, youll be right until 20,000km. Then it dawned on me that he had done that two years ago. Anyway, after putting in the recommended 4ltrs it is over on mine. Here's my question: Which mark on the stick are we talking about? On mine there are two lines within the indented area. After 4ltrs it is at the top of the indentation above the lines. Big question: how full is too full and damaging, and what damage would be done if too full????
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

KuzzinKenny

Hey NZDeano !! i take it you aint got an owners handbook ( should be under the seat ) have a looky here...........

http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/Tiger(1).pdf

its for a cast wheel model but most things are the same  :)

if there's to much oil in the engine it will be expelled out the breather tube and end up in the air filter so you'd better drop some out   :?

KK

ps the 4Lt of oil is only for a dry engine !!
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

blacktiger

Quote from: "NZDeano"Which mark on the stick are we talking about? On mine there are two lines within the indented area. After 4ltrs it is at the top of the indentation above the lines. Big question: how full is too full and damaging, and what damage would be done if too full????

The level should be within the cross hatched area on the dip stick when it is fully screwed in. I think 4 Litres is for oil & filter.
Alternatively, it is full when the oil reaches the lower mark when the stick is sat on top of the hole. i.e. NOT screwed in.
My method of filling is to put in 3.7 litres and then add 100ml at a time until the oil gets to the right level.

If I were you I'd syphon some out into a clean container and add some back bit by bit until you get the right level.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.

TigerT

Doesn't matter how I check mine, it's always used it all!!
2003 Girly
1999 DR350

NZDeano

Quote from: "KuzzinKenny"Hey NZDeano !! i take it you aint got an owners handbook ( should be under the seat ) have a looky here...........

http://www.triumph.co.uk/media/Tiger(1).pdf

its for a cast wheel model but most things are the same  :)

if there's to much oil in the engine it will be expelled out the breather tube and end up in the air filter so you'd better drop some out   :?

KK

ps the 4Lt of oil is only for a dry engine !!

thanks kenny. I do have an owners manual, but it is in Italian. Downloaded a workshop manual tho. Just did a double check. The manual says, and I quote: Dry fill (including filter) = 4.3ltrs . Oil and filter only = 4ltrs . Oil change only = 3.9ltrs
Tiger 955 (in black)
Triumph Scrambler
Moto Guzzi EV
BSA M20
Yamaha XT 400

jphish

Well ...all I can tell ya is my 06' manual also sez 4qts for oil / filter change. But its about 750 ml too much according to dip stick. As someone surmised - I think dipstick length changed on newer models.