News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

No DAR, but oil?

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 05, 2010, 04:31:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I removed the alternator on the 885 Sprint to check on the DAR. She was tight as a drum! Yay! But some oil spilled out of the alternator hole. Is this normal?

Also the bushings looked good but were quite wet! Is that normal?

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Mustang

perfectly normal

grease the snot out of the oring when you push the alternator back in to reduce the risk of pinching/cutting the oring .
if you do tear the oring it will leak oil and you will think it's the clutch pushrod or shifter seal  :oops:

aeronca

Quote from: "Mustang"perfectly normal

grease the snot out of the oring when you push the alternator back in to reduce the risk of pinching/cutting the oring .
if you do tear the oring it will leak oil and you will think it's the clutch pushrod or shifter seal  :oops:

listen to him - im on #3 o-ring :oops:
Steamers Rule!!!
It's Tire, not Tyre

GO SEAHAWKS!!!!!!

Colonel Nikolai

I have a spare o-ring. Should I use that now or use it only if this one leaks?

Mustang

if it's not stretched out ......reuse it!

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"if it's not stretched out ......reuse it!

Cool, thanks guys! Will do!

Colonel Nikolai

Alternator side looks good, too. Tight as a drum:

Warm up and no oil leaks on the o-ring:

nightrunner

I had a problem pinching those O-rings.  I ordered a pack from McMaster-Carr that were a bit smaller and thus fit a bit tighter.  No problems since.
Scott

Seeking adventure and peril

jwray76

that is one purty steamer...makes me want one in the garage next to my Girly!

Colonel Nikolai

Purty? She's actually not fully clothed: somewhere around here those silly airbox panels are laying around.

I think reusing the existing o-ring is what saved me. I also spent quite a bit of time rubbing any particle of anything off the mating surfaces before putting grease on them and finally putting it all back together. Neither bikes have the DAR. For that I'm thankful.