News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Machine shop space (aka World Domination HQ)

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 05, 2010, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colonel Nikolai

I rented a bay in a machine shop for 6 months where I plan to do a lot of work on the horses this winter. So far I've done valve check / adjust on 2 bikes, fixed a broken captive nut on the Tiger tank and checked the DAR on one. I plan to check the DAR on the other machine and finish a sprocket cover divide. It's been really fun, but I wish it were closer to home.

On the plus side there are a few guys here who have some mad skills. One of them is a professional welder who I plan to point at the dipstick reroute problem. I've been wringing my hands regarding the other guy's skills!

Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Nick Calne

Wow, look at       T      H     E                     S     P      A    C    E   !

Liking the flags too  8)      seriously cool.
Is it really an adventure bike if its wheels never see dirt?

John Stenhouse

Cool shop! Me likey lots
Black 885i Tiger UK based
Orange 955i Tiger Canadian based
Norton 961S never got it, tired of waiting

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks. If you guys have trouble touring mid-continent US, drop me a line!

The flag on the left is the Union flag from the civil war. The guy across from me is from Tennessee, which was a rebel / slave state at the time. He thinks its hilarious, all in good fun. I actually wanted a US civil flag of peacetime, which looks like this:

But I was unable to find one. The "typical" US flag "old glory", whatever it's called, was actually intended as a flag for use in war only.

If you can see in the back is a yellow bike that I got very cheap because it has a bad transmission. It's Buell Lightning. I will be working on that next month, probably.

JetdocX

This is a great arrangement.  You will learn a lot.  Your girlfriend/wife/SO will not be pleased at all.  Good luck with the latter.
From parts unknown.

Colonel Nikolai

JetDocX, the wife has already registered her feelings about the space!  :wink:

I've already learned a lot. The hardest lesson so far has been "how soft aluminum is", heh heh.

The only downside to it all is the cost. It's money I should be putting in the bank (or in a mattress, considering our assclown banking system here) preparing for the next financial meltdown.  :roll:

DWNUNDR

so I should call you when its time to do my valves??? I live 40mins south fo the cities in Jordan/... I go to School at Dunwoody...
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...

Colonel Nikolai

PM me when you need to do the work. I will try and help you out.

Colonel Nikolai

I have rebuilt the engine in the Buell.

Bixxer Bob

Looking good Col Nik.... is that your overnight bag you're building it on? :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Colonel Nikolai

It's my murse, dood.  :shock:

Seriously, it's a fender protector for automotive work, y'know, when the hood's up you drape it over the fender so you can lean over without scratching the top of the fender.

I guess I should show how far down I stripped the engine (actually more than this because I rebuilt the transmission,  which required splitting the cases, but I don't have pictures of that. I was too dispondent that the bike would end up a few dozen items sold on ebay at that point)

I have quite a bit more work to do:

Reinstall and reset the cam position sensor
Reinstall the transmission sprocket
Empty out the gas and clean the gas tank by turning the chassis upside down :shock: (gas is stored in the frame)
Reassemble the clutch pack
Reinstall primary chain drive
Reinstall the primary cover with new gaskets
Put the engine back into the bike
Reassemble the swingarm and pivot axel
Reconnect the idle adjustment
Reconnect the velocity stack
Reinstall the oil lines
Reconnect the clutch cable
Reconnect the throttle assembly
Reassemble the airbox, left and right scoops
Reconnect the kickstand switch

Prolly a bunch of little things I've missed. I've had 4x 5 gallon buckets filled with labeled ziplock bags. I'm down to 3 buckets now.

Colonel Nikolai

Buell is now reassembled to this point.

Awaiting some parts for the clutch pack.

Colonel Nikolai

I nominally put the engine back into the chassis by installing the swingarm back into the engine case mount. Now I'm waiting for heat wrap for the exhaust pipes so the pipes can be properly installed into the engine again. Then the engine will be rotated back up and mounted.

The work so far:

1. New rings
2. Cylinders bored out
3. New lifters
4. New transmission
5. New clutch bearings

Colonel Nikolai

DWNUNDR

Nice, so you are a local guy...

You ever make it south of the cities down 169 (Jordan area)??

Maybe this winter you can come and admire my shop while I go through my carbs hahaha
1996 Tiger - which is pissing me off right now
2010 KLX110L for playing with the kids on the track out back...