News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Machine shop space (aka World Domination HQ)

Started by Colonel Nikolai, December 05, 2010, 05:21:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pastyman

loving the work and the space you have to do it 8)

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "DWNUNDR"Nice, so you are a local guy...

You ever make it south of the cities down 169 (Jordan area)??

Maybe this winter you can come and admire my shop while I go through my carbs hahaha

I've gone down there over to Sport Wheels but not in many years. There are a few people on here that know how to sort out the carbs pretty well.

As far as the space is concerned, I'm fairly anxious to get out of it. It fills with an inch of water when it rains. The roof leaks. There are  4 other people in this space with me, of which I only see one. People "borrow" my tools and screw things up. I've enjoyed what benefit I've been able to get since I've been here, but I'm a little tired of the filth of the place and wondering what I'll see the next time I stop in.

There are huge benefits of forking out the dough and having your own garage. I may bite the bullet on that yet.
Mostly commuting around town on the Steamer these days.

Colonel Nikolai

Drive belt and swingarm strut installed.

Colonel Nikolai

Here is a video of the first crank of the engine to get the oil pumping through the lines over all the engine. Spark plugs removed.

Colonel Nikolai

I've put 30 miles on the rebuilt engine and tranny. So far so good.

Colonel Nikolai

30 miles oil change. Check this out. I think this is normal for new rings / cylinders. Right?

Mustang

looks awful nasty in the pic ...........you should run it for 500 miles with NON synthetic oil to let the rings seat good .

first hundred keep the revs under 4k or so
start gradually increasing the revs when you ride it by 599 miles you should be able to see red line

after 500 put in for oil what you will normally run .

Colonel Nikolai

Quote from: "Mustang"looks awful nasty in the pic ...........you should run it for 500 miles with NON synthetic oil to let the rings seat good .

first hundred keep the revs under 4k or so
start gradually increasing the revs when you ride it by 599 miles you should be able to see red line

after 500 put in for oil what you will normally run .

I'm following your instructions. This is non-synthetic oil of the specified grade (20w-50). Do you really think it's that bad?

The top of the engine is a little noisy to me. It makes a fluttering sound at different revs. The noise seems to have come down a bit since changing the oil.

The thing pulls like a tank: can't believe the torque!

Colonel Nikolai

Fluttering: not clacking or banging. I think it's OK. I wasn't running non-syth oil in it before.

Colonel Nikolai

3rd oil change: the engine seems to have cleared out. 375 miles left before it's first "normal" oil. Like weaning a puppy.

Mustang

Colonel Nikolai

Thanks Mustang! Unfortunately not all is 100% well. Here's the magnetic oil drain plug on the newly rebuilt transmission:

Still some shards. On the plus side this is less than half compared to the first fluid change. I think the gears are still wearing into each other.

Colonel Nikolai

So...

I'm told by people who ride these things I should be averaging over 50 miles per gallon on these things. I'm getting between 37 and 45 miles per gallon, though. Everything is new on it that I can think of being related to fuel consumption.

I did do a Throttle Position Sensor reset recently. I wonder if I have to do other things like reset the Cam Position Sensor?

The bike runs very well, pulls very strong. It's not using oil or anything. I have popped a wheelie accidentally a couple of times, it's so torquey. It seems as though I'm not experiencing any real problems.

Any ideas?

Mustang

yea you need to run it and break it in ,once it loosens up your gas mileage should improve a bit . average of 40mpg is not that bad for all new .
if it is running good and strong ....leave it be and ride it for a couple thousand miles .

Colonel Nikolai

Ok will do. I'm at 575 miles on the new drivetrain so we're close to the end of the initial break-in! Will report later...