News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Puzzling discovery with Tune ECU

Started by Timbox2, December 13, 2010, 05:27:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timbox2

OK, so I finally decided to have a proper play today with the Tunes, I uploaded my tune firstly to save a copy just in case, then I downloaded a custom tune off the Tune ECU website, listed as having modified A/F tables to help with the hunting etc.

Ive only been for a short run but the midrange pick up is for me the most noticeable difference, not massive, but seems more linear and the bike does seem smoother.

But the interesting thing is that afterwards I started to have a look at the differences and it was then that I discovered that if I look at the info for my old map, it states that even though it says its a 10173 map its for VIN no's up to 206546, mines later but on the tune ecu site 10173 map is for 206547 onwards, what gives, has my bike been running with the wrong map all along or has Tune ECU got it wrong?
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

10173 is definitely for later VINs.  Dunno what's going on in your history...

Mine just shows loads of remaps  :oops:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

My 2006 is the same, when I checked what it was running (installed by Triumph Dealer) it is 10173 vin upto 206546 with after market exhaust, I did an overlay with the later tune (10173 on tune ecu) and couldn't notice a difference.
Does anybody know if there is one?
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"My 2006 is the same, when I checked what it was running (installed by Triumph Dealer) it is 10173 vin upto 206546 with after market exhaust, I did an overlay with the later tune (10173 on tune ecu) and couldn't notice a difference.
Does anybody know if there is one?

Not just me then, but I definitely can feel a difference, though I went with the custom tune done by SA_Rider
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

You can try my 102 bhp tune of you like, PM me your Email address...

That goes for anyone.  COS in Cyprus is getting on pretty well with it and an aftermarket pipe.

Disclaimer: I will not be held responsible for any attempts at using my tune etc etc etc  :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

NKL

Do you know the year cutoff for the vin numbers?
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

First decentish run today on the new map, about 100 miles. Miles better at a steady throttle around the 4 to 5k rpm, much happier, me and the bike :D
2016 Tiger Sport

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"Do you know the year cutoff for the vin numbers?

I cant work this out, I cant see any significant change between early and late VINS, to confuse matters more Tune ECU lists the later VIN 206547 onwards as with Sagem MC1000 ECU, and yet as far as I can see all 955 engines had this ECU, the earlier MC2000 only seems to have been used on 885 Tigers, dunno, somebody else any ideas??
2016 Tiger Sport

NKL

I know my airbox is different to say Mr Cannings but did it change at 04 with the ally wheels or did it change (or even again) with the 1050 cases?
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Timbox2

Quote from: "NKL"I know my airbox is different to say Mr Cannings but did it change at 04 with the ally wheels or did it change (or even again) with the 1050 cases?

My VIN starts 211, and mines only an 04 plate but it is an 05 model, so that would suggest the change point around 03/04, maybe it is with the Ally wheels.  Whats different about your airbox?
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Timbox2"
Quote from: "NKL"Do you know the year cutoff for the vin numbers?

I cant work this out, I cant see any significant change between early and late VINS, to confuse matters more Tune ECU lists the later VIN 206547 onwards as with Sagem MC1000 ECU, and yet as far as I can see all 955 engines had this ECU, the earlier MC2000 only seems to have been used on 885 Tigers, dunno, somebody else any ideas??

I used Tuneboy to export two comma delineated files, one for 10121 (Before VIN with aftermarket pipe) one for 10173 (after VIN with AM pipe).  I then imported them into Excel and compared the results, and you can see that 10173 has more fuel in low throttle settings:

Timbox2

What Im trying to figure out is if you took an early bike to a Triumph Dealer and asked for a new map to be installed which one would they put on I.E in Triumphs eyes does 10173 map supersede 10121, because I cant find anything fuel or engine wise that also changed on that VIN. I think Chris once alluded to this, that if you go to a dealer for a new map, theres no going back, Triumph only have the later maps.
2016 Tiger Sport

Bixxer Bob

As they both use the same ECU, my initial thought is injectors?  If they changed to a different spray pattern that would do it.

It would have to be that or cams.  If I get time I'll do a comparison for the other tables including timing.  If the fuel's changed I'd expect the timing to be different too.

Timbox2

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"As they both use the same ECU, my initial thought is injectors?  If they changed to a different spray pattern that would do it.

It would have to be that or cams.  If I get time I'll do a comparison for the other tables including timing.  If the fuel's changed I'd expect the timing to be different too.

Ok mate, Im just curious now but Im happy enough for the time being with this new map, but I may still do some playing, might just reload the std 10173 map  to see if there really is a difference or if the main problem was my 10173 map was a little corrupted or such like, Ive also just noticed that  this custom map Ive loaded although listed as a modified 10173, says it uses 10171 as the base??
2016 Tiger Sport

Chris Canning

You want to talk suspension,brakes wheels what have you  :D ,mapping and electrics  :oops: ,when I took mine in just before the winter set in,almost certainley they put 10173 in,but he also mentioned that, that had arrived in what ever format from Triumph a couple of days before,so is it the same number with a fine tune  :? .

I aslo see mentioned different airboxs,anyone want put a photo up of a later one,I'd be interested to see the difference.