News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

What brake pads?

Started by ChazzyB, January 04, 2011, 09:24:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChazzyB

Before I leap in and buy a set of EBC HH pads for my Girly, I thought I'd ask what you're using and why. I've got EBC floating disks up front and for a change, I fitted Kyoto organic pads last time round in place of the usual EBC HH pads I've generally fitted. In the dry, I like these Kyoto pads; not grabby like the EBCs tend to be, but a nice smooth, progressive feel. However, in the wet, the word I'll use to describe them, is SH*T! If they haven't been applied for a while, there's nothing there. It takes several applications and releases to get anything approaching the dry feel. But strangely, the rear is fine, the way I use it. I need to change them if I'm going to be riding through the winter. Which I am.

What's the panel's recommendation?

TIA
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

blacktiger

Yeah, I've had the same experience with "organic" pads. i.e. dangerous in the wet. If you're an old git like me you'll member back in the '70s that was all there was.
Various bike makers tried various solutions to the wet braking "lag" (they called it) like the fully enclosed discs on the CBX550. Holes or slots in the discs helped by breaking the water film allowing the pads to get to the disc surface.
Then some bright spark saved us all by inventing pads with lumps of copper in them known as "sintered". The copper lumps wore down less than the surrounding material and, therefore, stuck out further and touched the water film first, breaking the film and allowing the pads to contact the disc giving instant braking.
My experience steers me towards using any "sintered" pads of a well known make so I'd just stick with the EBC HH pads. They work well and are readily available.
I have used Carbonne Lorraine pads which were good. Also had good results with Dunlopads.
2013 800XC 33000 miles & counting.