News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

This is a Strange One (water leak)

Started by aesdj, January 11, 2011, 10:49:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aesdj

Bikes been stood naked since October untill I sync'd the throttle bodies just before Xmas. When I'd done I noticed a 25mm by 5mm pool of coolant on the back of the engine. No pipes around there and no track lines, as if it had just been put there. Wiped it up and checked it again inbetween Xmas and New Year (5 days tops). There were 3 drops on the back of the engine and 2 drops on the head/barrel mating faces under number 2 throttle body. Started it up and the leak tracked along the join for about 25mm but not enought to run down by which time the bike had run for about 30 seconds. It stopped getting any bigger and by the time the fan came on it had stopped and evaporated completley. It didn't leak in the summer, its started when the bikes been stood. I'm thinking that because its been a very cold December the ali has shrunk just enough to leak a tiny bit and as the bike warms it expands again closing the leak. Its still leaking but it seems that the colder the weather the more it leaks. What do you think I should do? I was going to re-torque it but you've got to turn it 90 degrees for the final stage so I've not got a figue I can use. I'm thinking of leaving it and seeing if my theroy is right come the sping/summer.

Bixxer Bob

I'm pretty sure I've read about this on here or on RAT before, exactly as you describe.
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

walker

some people ignore it and clean up the small amount (if it's not bad). I think a few have removed the head bolts and retorqued them (seems like just a bit more torque before the final 90 degree turn). Others have removed the cylinder head, and replaced the gasket.

There is a thread here somewhere talking about it - for the 955, there is a newer head gasket which will fix the problem. If you have the 885 that leaks (like mine did), the gasket is the same as the current one.

For the 90 degrees - use a sharpie.... it's what I did. made a few reference marks on the bolt, then turned it until the mark lined up. You can even wipe off the sharpie mark when done. Take a look at the recent piston ring replacement thread - there is a good picture there with someone marking a bolt (looks about like I did too - 2 marks at 0 and 90 degrees).

brad1098

My dealer, the former 2 time top in the nation #1 in service, said to ignore it.  Only does a little dab when its freezin cold out.
02 black-Lorna

jwray76

Quote from: "brad1098"My dealer, the former 2 time top in the nation #1 in service, said to ignore it.  Only does a little dab when its freezin cold out.

Yeah I think the only real danger is that the leak would blow out the gasket. However a few drips isn't going to create enough flow across the gasket to cause a blow out. Good news is if it does blow out u will know it  :D

iansoady

Like Bob, I remember seeing a lot of stuff about this 2 or 3 years ago. Mine's never done it though, even in sub-zero temperatures in the last couple of weeks.
Ian.

1931 Sunbeam Model 10
1999 Honda SLR650

Chris Canning

Put me in the ignore it camp,cold weather shrinkage

Putts255

I went out into my unheated shed this last weekend to check on the bike (2001 Tiger).  I had put a piece of cardboard under it because I know I have a very smal oil leak coming from the neutral sensor switch.

When I got out there there was small quarter size oil dripping but a large wet spot under the bike which appears to be antifreeze.  I am hoping this is not a major issue come spring time (still 5 months away for me).  

We are suppose to go down to -30°C tonight so the bike will be in for a cold one for sure these next few days....
Father of 2, married 28 years to fantastic woman, lots of toys and still lots of dreams....

"You're never too old to learn new things."
_____
2001 Triumph Tiger - Black

cbxtc6

Don't worry, they all do that  :lol:
Seriously, both my 955's have done this when it gets real cold out.  The amount is very small.

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "jwray76"
Quote from: "brad1098"My dealer, the former 2 time top in the nation #1 in service, said to ignore it.  Only does a little dab when its freezin cold out.

Yeah I think the only real danger is that the leak would blow out the gasket. However a few drips isn't going to create enough flow across the gasket to cause a blow out. Good news is if it does blow out u will know it  :D

We should be careful here to not confuse leaks from the water jacket to the outside (or into the oilways for that matter) with leaks from the combustion chambers into either the oil or waterways.  A combustion chamber leak (known as a blown head gasket) is serious.  A minor weep of coolant from the gasket area in very cold conditions is not - as long as it stops once the engine is warm....
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

TigerTrax

I think your dealer is right.

Last year my '06 ( never left a spot of anything... 'cept Hog blood! )
dripped some anti-freeze . . . 1 drop. So I fired it up and let it get to
operating temp and rode it a bit. Still dripped... but a little drop. So I  let it run for some time when the roads were icy and rode it when I could... about 2 weeks later... no more drippy....
\'Life\'s A Journey ..... Don\'t Miss A Turn\'

kelpie_67

My 2000 885i dribbles a bit in this cold weather too. I'm not toobothered since it stops when the warmer weather comes.
2000 885i yellow - can you see me now?

aesdj

Cheers guys, thats put my mind at ease. On the links that were posted some people were told to add 10lb onto the torque settings and then 90 but some replys say not to risk it into an ali engine (stripping threads) and some were told by Triumph mechanics not to do anything as its a known problem but will cause no harm. I'm not going to do anything as suggested. I may have to do it in the upcoming winter as I can see it playing on my mind like the last owner saying the valve gaps had been done. When do you think it would be best to do the gasket, summer or winter?

walker

if it only leaks a little when it's really cold, I would leave it. Mine was leaking when it was around freezing (higher temperature than some reported). I was in the process of taking things apart to do a different repair, so at that point, it's not much more effort.

I chose the winter, since I wouldn't want to ride as much, and I had a heated area where I could leave the bike in pieces while I waited the 2-3 weeks for parts to come in as I ordered them.... I think the entire process was 2 months? I forget how many times I had to order parts.... wait....