News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

Water in the tank - where is the other end of the drain???

Started by nanomoog, January 12, 2011, 04:49:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nanomoog

Guys,

I'm getting water in the tank due to the drain being blocked up.  :(
Here's a piccy of offending drain with water sitting around it not going any where.

I have sqirted a load of WD40 down it and tried to blow air through it.
Where this has got rid of some of the cak, it's still bunged up.

Can anyone tell me where the other end is?  so that I can start attacing the blockage from the other end?

Thanks in advance
/CA

Timbox2

If you take the seats off and the L/H side panels I think you can just about see the 2 rubber tubes which connect on the L/H side of the fuel tank just below the fuel pump access panel, ones a breather and ones the drain, just dont ask me which is which, you can see the ends of the tubes sticking out underneath the engine just in front of the side stand. Ive heard people say you shouldnt mix them up, but on my bike anyway both tubes are identical??
2016 Tiger Sport

ourade

As Timbox says the problem is where the breather/drain hose exits the tank.
The fitting that the hose is connected to gets blocked, i used a small drill bit to clean out the fitting.
Cheers Ade.

KuzzinKenny

Hey nanomoog !! have a looky here.......

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... methylated

hope this helps !!

KK
In Scotland, there`s no such thing as bad weather - only the wrong clothes !! Billy Connolly

nanomoog

Many thanks guys. :D

Just tried to start the old girl and now get both an engine waring light and the fuel light come one.  I'm guessing that I'll need to follow KK's sugested link and also to take the tank off and do it properly.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/viewtopic. ... nk&start=0

Thanks again.
/CA

Bixxer Bob

It's not clear in my post that the drill bit was used (carefully!!!) after removing the rubber hose from the bottom of the tank because the crud gathers down there for some reason.  And not in a power drill either!!

To be accurate, remove the drain hose from the bottom of the tank (the drain hose is the one you can't blow through  - cos it's blocked aint it?) take a small drill bit - around 2mm - and insert it in the spigot that you''ve just taken the hose from.  Carefully rotate it by hand or with a small pin vice, not a drill!! It'll quickly get through the crud and you'll know when you have because all the trapped water will gush out.  Then you can rod it through with some thin wire (copper wire stripped from a piece of mains cable twin and earth works well) and you're done.  Put it back together though.... :roll:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

nanomoog

Thanks for the advice Bixxer Bob.  It'll be fingers powering the drill bit, nothing more. :)
/CA

Slowmow

Got the exact same problem on my Tiger. Had water came in the tank (when I open it to fill the tank) in November when the bike stood in the rain.

Will clean the pipe's
2005 Tiger 955i Owner

2008 KLR650

daveb

just checked mine, bugger full of water. removed side panel, found which pipe was for the water trap (outside one) blocked full of crap. 2mm drill bit cleaned out hole job done in less than 5 minutes.

couldn't believe how much water came out.

thanks guys for the tip.

Bixxer Bob

It's good here innit?   :lol:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

daveb

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"It's good here innit?   :lol:

I am learning a lot of useful tricks n tips on here.

Biglad

With my tank being off and all I will do this little jobbie as well, one you would other wise not think of...
2001 955i Roulette Green

daveb

you can sort this one out when the tank is on the bike, might be easier. but as your working on the bike you might as well look at it.

Biglad

That's what i was thinking, keeps me going till the rest arrives...

Waiting on C+S, fehling bars, oil filter and other bits to arrive. Female fuel tank connections arrived today as did the new brighter bulbs and some other little bits.

Oh man I can't wait...
2001 955i Roulette Green

daveb

I just fitted Fehling bars, there is a good write up on here as the instruction that come with the bars isn't good plus its written in german.

http://tigertriple.com/forum/index.php/topic,6908

brighter bulbs? I just added the 2nd relay into the port behind the LH indicator moulding. brings on both lights. look here if you have not already done the mod

http://www.tigertriple.com/forum/viewto ... =headlight