News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A simple job...until you round it arggggghhhhh

Started by Biglad, January 22, 2011, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Biglad

Hello all,

Had a bit of a search but no luck...

Thought I'd do the brakes today, lovely day for it.

Front, no hassle, new pads, cleaned it all up, bit'a copper grease here and there, flying along.

Quickly do the back one and away to the shops...

First the little cap hiding the retaining pin would barely budge, lot of penetrant and eventually the little f'er came out. Pin, next, well, after a lot of penetrant again and being very carefull not to round the allen head with a good quality allen key, guess what, I rounded it , and it won't budge...

What to do next...how to get the bugger out? Ideas? :oops:
2001 955i Roulette Green

Mustang

with the caliper off you should be able to get a grip on the pin with some vice grip pliers , in between the pads
and if that doesn't work how good are ya with one of these

daveb

the only Idea I can think of, is remove calliper and try and fit a long nose vice grip pliers and try turning the retaining pin from pad side, the pin is already knackered. or possible try using a torx head slightly bigger than the allen head, you will need to hammer it into the pin, and try turning, or a screw extractor, you might need to use an impact driver.

but I would soak it again and again with plusgas

Biglad

Quote from: "daveb"the only Idea I can think of, is remove calliper and try and fit a long nose vice grip pliers and try turning the retaining pin from pad side, the pin is already knackered. or possible try using a torx head slightly bigger than the allen head, you will need to hammer it into the pin, and try turning, or a screw extractor, you might need to use an impact driver.

but I would soak it again and again with plusgas

Tried that one, man it's welded in solid, everything gives but the pin...

Drill and extractor next grrrrrrrrr, might try the vicegrip method but can't see it giving in that way...thanks for the input lads...
2001 955i Roulette Green

daveb

have you tried tightening slightly this might dislodge the pin. it sound strange, but sometimes this work and breaks the seal.

Biglad

Quote from: "daveb"have you tried tightening slightly this might dislodge the pin. it sound strange, but sometimes this work and breaks the seal.

Yeah, did that, even the little tap with the "persuader" to "scare" it as we used to say had no result. Tried a 0.5mm bigger hex as well "forced" in there but everything just spins round in the end, don't want to damage the caliper so off with the whole thing and in the vice.

I was even surprised at how tight the little cap was in there, I literally had to use a screwdriver and a hammer to coax it out. It has that white oxide dry look in there as if the two metals are chemically welded together. Not a great day for giving up the smokes... :D
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

Hi BL,  this is a common problem, I had mine do it too, and tried all the stuff already suggested here.  But Mustang's right (as usual).

Get the whole thing off the bike and held solidly in a vice.  measure the diameter of the pin (I can't remember it offf hand) and put a drill that size through first.  The rounded out allen head will guide you well enough, just take your time and keep it in line with the pin, don't wander off.  That'll shear off the pin and let you get the pads out of the way.  Next you need to go through with a drill just smaller than the threads (measure the size of the root of the thread on one of the front pins and go next size smaller).  that'll clean out most of the seized thread and often loosens it enough to spin the rest out.  If it doesn't, lastly put a tap through it to clean out the threads.  If you're unsure, a machine shop wouldn't charge much to do this for you, it'll only take five minutes.

I'd be happy to do it for you if you were near enough  :wink:
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Cheers BB, I'll be over in a wee minute lol, if only. I've got a buddy with a far better tool collection than I will ever have and he has one of those column drill yokes. If we could manage to get the caliper on there it should make light work of the wee pin...

I'll let you all know how I progress...

Ps. I'm about to fit the female metal fittings to the tank, does this mean the tank needs to be completely empty or would it work with the tank on it's side if there was half a gallon of petrol still in there? Read the whole write up but no mention of tipping the fuel...
2001 955i Roulette Green

ChazzyB

Those little "grub screw" caps - My big screw driver always slips out of the slot when I try it, which reminds me to use the impact driver. One little tap and they're free. I always use Copperslip on the caps and pins when assembling too.

When you've got the pins free, don't even think about about doing them up tight when assembling; just an ever so eeny-teeny nip will do it, but lighter.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Biglad

Quote from: "ChazzyB"Those little "grub screw" caps - My big screw driver always slips out of the slot when I try it, which reminds me to use the impact driver. One little tap and they're free. I always use Copperslip on the caps and pins when assembling too.

When you've got the pins free, don't even think about about doing them up tight when assembling; just an ever so eeny-teeny nip will do it, but lighter.

I think i'm starting to get introduced to the "over engineerd" part of my Triumph ha ha. My previous bikes has these pins as well but after removing a clip or something they could be removed by hand. Never needed an impact screwdriver before to change brake pads lol.

There's going to be plenty copper slip used putting this baby back together. I've been carefull tightning the pins as you suggest, they're not going to fall out I don't think.
2001 955i Roulette Green

ChazzyB

Quote from: "Biglad"I think i'm starting to get introduced to the "over engineerd" part of my Triumph ha ha.

Well, to be fair to Triumph, the brake calipers are Nissins. The hidden head of the pad-retention pin is slightly better than that in the Tokico calipers some lesser Suzukis use - not hidden and split pin to retain them.
Charles
1971 BSA A65L Lightning
1953 AJS 18S

Biglad

Quote from: "ChazzyB"
Quote from: "Biglad"I think i'm starting to get introduced to the "over engineerd" part of my Triumph ha ha.

Well, to be fair to Triumph, the brake calipers are Nissins. The hidden head of the pad-retention pin is slightly better than that in the Tokico calipers some lesser Suzukis use - not hidden and split pin to retain them.

Touche mon ami...I'll forgive them and redirect my frustration to Nissin ha ha

I'm sure I'll find something else along the way :lol:
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Biglad"...If we could manage to get the caliper on there it should make light work of the wee pin...

By the way, when I said "tap" I meant the thread-cutting sort, not the "with a hammer" sort...  :roll:  You don't seem the type to choose the wrong one but just being clear...  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"
Quote from: "Biglad"...If we could manage to get the caliper on there it should make light work of the wee pin...

By the way, when I said "tap" I meant the thread-cutting sort, not the "with a hammer" sort...  :roll:  You don't seem the type to choose the wrong one but just being clear...  :D

Thought that alright, bit of kit I never owned but might purchase next for my collection.
2001 955i Roulette Green

NeilD

sometimes a torx bit hammered in there will grip where an allen head one wont..  :wink: