News:

Welcome to the TigerTriple forum! Over the years we have gathered lots of great information on all things Triumph Tiger. Besides that, this is a great community that is willing to help you keep your Tiger moving. So, feel welcome! Also, try the search button for answers to your questions. If you have any questions, PM me on ghulst.

Main Menu

A simple job...until you round it arggggghhhhh

Started by Biglad, January 22, 2011, 03:22:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bixxer Bob

Just curious Neil, cos I can't recall of hand, how do you support the pin so you're not beating the s**t out of the caliper while doing this?
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Result; I'm an impatient fecker I am...

Cordless did the job (better than I thought Mustang lol), thank god pin is as butter, maybe bit was nice and sharp. Securing it was a bit tricky as I don't have a vice. Drilled straight down through the pin till I could snap it and remove bottom half, that got the old pads out of the way. All I have left now is a "barrel" with a wall thickness of about 1mm that needs to be removed, tidy the threads and order a pin and cap combo, nice one. Think i need a 7mm drill bit to remove most of the remaining "barrel" but I'm so close to the threads now I'll leave that last bit for the experts...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Biglad

I am delighted to say that the above case is now closed. Drilled out the last bit of the retaining pin, ran the tap through it, used a pin from the front to check and everything is hunky dory. Just need to get a retaining pin and cap.

Delighted as I was I thought I'd fit the female metal fuel connections as well. Bottom plastic one came out without a fight...the top one wasn't for leaving without a struggle. Gently, gently, snap...top came off and threads solid inside the tank, not again. Managed to poke most of the plastic thread out and ran a tap through here as well. Metal fittings are in but were very stiff getting in, especially the top one. Think it's OK though with each a run of PTFE.

Question: some of the bits of plastic thread fell in to the abys, no way I could prevent that from happening. Does this mean I will have bits of plastic circulating in my fuel system? Any thing I could/should do about this?
2001 955i Roulette Green

NKL

there is a gauze screen on the pump pickup so no big bits can get in and after the pump is the filter. I would wait until its filter change time and clean the tank out then.
I\'m immortal..........well so far!!!
-----------------------------------
\'08 KTM 990 Adventure
\'91 Black XTZ 750
\'10 TM 250 EN
\'07 CCM 404
Renault Traffic 100

Bixxer Bob

Don't you get a real sense of achievement when you get a result yourself?  And it gives you the confidence to push a bit further next time.  It's called experience, and owning a Tiger means you get a lot of that  :D
I don't want to achieve immortality through prayer, I want to achieve it through not dying...

Biglad

Cheers NKL, I'm taking a little confidence out of the fact that the little bits went in to the return line which I hope means they do not end up in the feed and eventually the rack...

@BB, man I could cry yesterday evening when the bloody fuel connection snapped lol, think I have it sussed though. It's encouraging and scary at the same time, but I'll soldier on with the help of you guys and Mr. Haynes...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

Quote from: "Biglad"...man I could cry yesterday evening when the bloody fuel connection snapped lol, think I have it sussed though. ...

If everything goes ok, you think, "Cool, this spannering stuff is easy""

If you have setbacks, like the snapped fuel fitting and the seized brake pin, you think, "I'm rubbish,  I shouldn't have started this, God hates me" etc etc.  Then you stop mithering, take a deep breath, put on the thinking cap, look at the resources you have (and that includes TT.com), get stuck in and eventually you Triumph (pun intended).  Then you think "Cool,  I am indeed a spannering God"!

Well done mate! :D

Biglad

Well, have the whole thing back together, fired her up and all, so far so good. There is the tiniest little bubble showing at the top fuel connection if you look really carefully but after the bike ran for 10 mins there wasn't actually any petrol showing, not even a drop. I might just try to sweeten that connector by a mill or two.

I hope that these tiny little plastic bits don't come back to haunt me at some stage...

I've packed the tank with bits of rubber in three places to slightly raise the rhs, that seemed to have worked, all panels matched up and all screws could be put back in to place.

Suppose a coolant change would have been in order as well but that might have to wait till the 24K job. I will change the oil and filter and wait for the retaining pin to arrive (just ordered) for the rear brake. After that I want to put a few miles on her...
2001 955i Roulette Green

Bixxer Bob

For future reference, most Nissin pins will do,  I borrowed one from my Balckbird when it happened to me......

Biglad

Quote from: "Bixxer Bob"For future reference, most Nissin pins will do,  I borrowed one from my Balckbird when it happened to me......

Good to know that BB!!
2001 955i Roulette Green

daveb

I know its a bit late now but Aldi have selling screw extractors for £5.00 dont know if they would work on cap head bolts? might be worth a look.

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/sp ... _17351.htm

Bixxer Bob

They go on sale tomorrow, the 27th, it seems.... :)

Biglad

:D I keep an eye on the upcoming specials for both LIDL and ALDI as some nice little bits show up from time to time, spotted these as well, might piuck up a wee set just to have...
2001 955i Roulette Green